Thoughts on upgrading my carb to Jet Performance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to start slowly upgrading things on my 84 Land Cruiser. This performance carb was recommend by JCWhitney. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What can expect out of performance once it's installed? How difficult is the minor modifications needed to install it? What other things should I keep in mind before I order, or if I should order?

STOP! You need to slow down and not order anything like that carb!

You need to search and read everything related what you may want to do your 60 here on mud. So much info and experience.

These are good, simple, reliable and well engineered vehicles that are slow and get poor fuel economy. No carb will fix these things, but the stock carb can be made to work better! Combined with a good tune up, it will run and perform well and maybe get up into the low teens for mileage.

There are no...few, dumb questions, and most here on Mud will be happy to help you.

Welcome and good reading.

I don't know anybody that is running a four barrel carb on their six cylinder 2F engine. Most aftermarket carbs are weber. Another (perhaps better) option is a non-USA style carburetor. a mud member named "trollhole". Neither of these carbs would work for a vehicle that needs to remain street legal. Actually, to use either of these carburetors you may need to be de-smogged.

Another option is to have your carburetor professionally rebuilt. There are two vendors that are very good. mud member "FJ40jim" and Mark's Offroad in Burbank ("65swb45"). If you can't afford to have your truck out of commission for long you can purchase a used stock carburetor and have one of these guys rebuild it.

Lol I'm seriously just recently trying to learn about engines, as I want to start doing all the work myself. Thanks for all the help. I really want the truck to move faster and accelerate better. How slow it is compared the Chevy V8, fuel injected Jeep Wagoneer I had (and totaled) is driving me nuts.

Lol I'm seriously just recently trying to learn about engines, as I want to start doing all the work myself. Thanks for all the help. I really want the truck to move faster and accelerate better. How slow it is compared the Chevy V8, fuel injected Jeep Wagoneer I had (and totaled) is driving me nuts.
Nothing short of a full engine swap is gonna change that. I'd recommend driving something with a 3B for a while. Then you'll get behind your 2F and be like "damn this thing is fast".

the operative word here is Cruiser...you're not going to make a race car even with a small block chevy. the best you can do is to make it reliable and efficient and then if it isn't the whip your butt tells you you should have, then sell it and buy an old camaro. the stock carb is about the best carb you can run. as stated, with a proper rebuild from either of the 2 names mentioned, you will notice a big difference. there are prolly a few things which aren't as they should be and that are giving you a bad impression. all thing under the hood need to be working as a package as intended by toyota or nothing will work as intended by toyota. As stated, a rig which doesn't have to be smog tested should be desmogged- a procedure with strict guidelines for getting it right. being a self proclaimed newb, you should set back with a sixer and a weeks vaca and dive into the rabbit hole via the search function. it has all been done before or is being done and documented here...somewhere. welcome and remember that it's all about getting there and not how fast you did it;)

jcwhitney has nothing to offer any of my cruisers or even any car that I work on. neither does cruiserparts.com or net. Check out Specter Off Roar, or sor.com. Also Cruiser Outfitters in Colorado. most of the time, I'll go thru the ih8mud classified before spending coin anywhere else. Also, Toyota still has a few parts around for these things even tho I think you missed the last New-Old-Stock carb and combination manifold in the USA by about a year or so...HTH

Have Mark at Marks Off road or JimC at TLC Performance rebuild the stock carb for you. (Either depending on the coast you are on). That is the best you are going to get for the 2F. Forget performance upgrades.....best you can do is focus on making it run right and remember OEM Toyota is almost always the best choice. Enjoy your truck!

@LAMBCRUSHER thanks for recommending those sites. I actually finally found a part I was looking for for my inner passenger side door. Probably a silly question but what does R and L mean in this diagram. Is it Left and Right??

yep, that is for right or left...

I have a 4 barrel on my 2f.

No reason to talk in absolutes.. however, jcw is not known for quality parts.

Drop a LS 6.0 in. It will cost a chunk of change, but it will be fast. Or put a 6bt in, also a chunk of change, but will be fast. A fj60 with a 2f is doomed to be slow, but it will be reliable and get you their and back. You can do some mods to help-TBI, header, camshaft, higher compression. Even then its still going to be slow. A supercharger is another option, but the price jumps up.

I had an 84 Ford F-250 with a straight 6 that I put a Holly 4 bbl, intake manifold, header and Mallory Unilite distributor on after the exhaust manifold warped. I had the truck since new. It ran better, got better MPG but it was no faster really, perhaps a bit but nothing really significant. I agree with Mace, steer clear of JCW.

Okay, I looked up the link. that is a 850 cfm carb. If you managed to find the necessary adapters or intake manifold that will bet you bolt it to your motor, it would be pouring fuel into the intake and out of the exhaust. That carb is way too big for a cruiser.

Something more like this is more appropriate.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-8007

That being said, I doubt you will see any real improvement. And it will no longer be smog legal.

JimC (Trollhole) is the guy to talk to from what I know. I haven't done business with him, but I hear he's the Carb Whisperer.

To avoid confusion, JimC (FJ40Jim on Mud) and Marshall (Trollhole on Mud) are two separate people. Jim being the whisperer for carb rebuilds and Marshall for a replacement non USA/ non Toyota Carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom