thought I'd be smart wrong answer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes when was redoing the inside figured I'd take the hole saw mount new gauges up on the upper part of the dash.In the process found out It was harder than I thought but not bad when nothing else is there.Last night fired up the cruiser after mounting the dual exhaust started oil shot everywhere, inside at the new gauges and right buy where it goes into the block come to find out water temp gauge shorted melted the tubing in a couple of places.So pulled the cd player out of the dash and ashtray and speedo cluster out of the way and it still took and couple of hours to get the bastards out.Anyway long story short I'm starting to see why know one mounts gauges in the steel dash (but it looks good)go home tonight mount the new ones in same location or cut out dash and put stainless in :slap:

That sucks, electric gauges are the way to go, no oil line. This is a little off subject but in 1999 we bought a brand new Chevy Tahoe on a Sunday and on Monday my wife drove it to work. I got a phone call, wife in histerics, the Tahoes oil pressure dropped, light came on, fortunatley my wife shut it off before any damage, but come to find out the oil cooler line popped off inside the engine bay, oil was everywhere on the brand new engine. In was pissssed offffff. Anyway the dealer spent hours detailing it and all is good but I know the feeling.

I personally don't trust electric gauges.....have never used them, and never had a problem with the mechanicals. For the oil gauge, definitely toss the plastic tubing and go with copper for longevity.

That is true I got to thinking after earlier(scary thought thinking)but my old 70 chev pickup and 76 chev pickup come with factory mech. gauges with copper tubing so I may look into this :G

I have to switch to copper this weekend. I had a pair of rather exciting fires while pressure testing my FI. There seemed to be problems afterwards, but I had no oil pressure. The plastic hose had melted in half, but had cauterized itself so it didn't leak.

Mechanical gauges are by far the best...I have never had any issues with mounting gauges on the dash. Just have to make sure you use grommets. Idf you are installing the plastic oil line, the trick is to put the ferral on straight and don't over tighten the nut. Otherwise the ferral will cut into the plastic line, and cause a leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom