Thoughs on what to do... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased an '02 LX470 for what I thought was a great price (6.5K guy was asking 7.8) it did have some front end damage which I was ok with as I know to repair could be 500-750...but took it to Lexus yesterday and they posted the below. I wasa never even asked about having any of the job performed, but anyway, what all do you think I should replace (rotors, pads, lines?) anything else?

" CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~|~THE PADS ARE AFTER MARKET. NEED THE BRAKE PAD SHIMS. ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONECUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~|~THE FRONT BRAKE PAD FITTING KIT. VEHICLE HAS A LOT OF CORROSION UNDERCARRIAGE. IT MAY NEED FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS REPLACEMENT. ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONECUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~|~THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS HAS PLAY. TO PERFORM FRONT BRAKE JOB REPLACEMENT AND FRONT BRAKE ROTORS RESURFACE NEED TO REPACK THE WHEEL BEARINGS. ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONECUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~|~THE 2 FRONT BRAKE ROTORS HAS A LOT OF CORROSION AND THEY ARE CLOSE TO THE MIN THICKNESS SPECS. ~|~ ~|~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE "

By the way, the rust is all BS, there is surface rust, which its being treated by removing all of it, cleaning then treating with proper metal rust preventative and then a lubricant to keep moisture away.

Thank you with nay help you may be able to provide.

Can you do the brake and bearing work yourself?

Where in FL are you? You may be able to find local hundy owners who would help for pizza/beer/wife swapping/etc
haha wife swapping as long as their is hot or it aint happening....but yeah I looked it up it seems like a a couple hundred bucs so not to worries...would you consider brake stop kit for the LX? or what, I want to go ahead and get everything replaced.

Thanks

Meh. Ive never walked out of a dealership without them stating brake work needs done. Its like the one thing they can always "recommend"

But does sound like a simple brake and bearing job is in your future.

I never understand why folks are surprised when a shop recommends additional work - 1) it's more work for them and 2) it's a CYA, imagine the flip side that they don't tell you and a week later your brakes are grinding. You're going to show back up there just as mad and flip about how they didn't warn you about the brakes.

Do your own inspection if you don't trust them. If you can't, find a shop you do trust and don't second guess all their recommendations. Sounds like as with any new to you vehicle, you need to baseline it, see when the last services were done (pull from Lexus or dealer site) and start from there with what's been missed or unknown.

I never understand why folks are surprised when a shop recommends additional work - 1) it's more work for them and 2) it's a CYA, imagine the flip side that they don't tell you and a week later your brakes are grinding. You're going to show back up there just as mad and flip about how they didn't warn you about the brakes.

Do your own inspection if you don't trust them. If you can't, find a shop you do trust and don't second guess all their recommendations. Sounds like as with any new to you vehicle, you need to baseline it, see when the last services were done (pull from Lexus or dealer site) and start from there with what's been missed or unknown.

So I took the car in to have an oil change, due to Covid they have you make an appointment, after cancelling 2 times on me they assure me I would only be in 30 mins max, 2 hours later they apologize after I asked what was taking so long...then the guy came out said it was free of charge for the wait which I appreciated...then they put a sticker on my window that has all green X's indicating the tires, breaks, and battery are good....they didn't give me any paperwork just car keys and out the door...not one of those that is here to complain...here to find a solution....thanks for the feedback pal!

A Lexus LX470 can go anywhere on the planet, but there is one place where the Lexus LX470 should never go and that is to the Lexus dealer. They are going to look down on you, even though most of them drive Hyundai's not Hundy's. Then they are going to act like you are some sort of cheapskate for not doing all the work they claim you need. If you do have them do the work, you will pay more for the work than you did for your Hundy. (Hundy = 100 series, fyi.)

So I took the car in to have an oil change, due to Covid they have you make an appointment, after cancelling 2 times on me they assure me I would only be in 30 mins max, 2 hours later they apologize after I asked what was taking so long...then the guy came out said it was free of charge for the wait which I appreciated...then they put a sticker on my window that has all green X's indicating the tires, breaks, and battery are good....they didn't give me any paperwork just car keys and out the door...not one of those that is here to complain...here to find a solution....thanks for the feedback pal!
Stay far away from oil change facilities that "inspect" your vehicle and reward it with green X's on a window sticker that displays a date that you should drain their garbage oil by. As previously stated in this thread, do as much of your own maintenance as possible. Detailed instructions on nearly every topic can be found within this forum, and so many members are willing to help out. Most items can be accomplished with basic hand tools in less than suitable shop conditions. Remember......your Land Cruiser was designed and built to be maintained on a river bank in the Amazon with basic tooling and continue pressing on! Dont worry about a Lexus Dealer claiming your brakes are dirty and need to be cleaned. Look for yourself and ask questions / post photos if you are unsure.
End of rant.....and as always, welcome.

A Lexus LX470 can go anywhere on the planet, but there is one place where the Lexus LX470 should never go and that is to the Lexus dealer. They are going to look down on you, even though most of them drive Hyundai's not Hundy's. Then they are going to act like you are some sort of cheapskate for not doing all the work they claim you need. If you do have them do the work, you will pay more for the work than you did for your Hundy. (Hundy = 100 series, fyi.)

can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. If you’re being serious, that is the biggest load of crocodile s*** I’ve ever heard.

This is one of the reasons people should not pay too much attention to the Lexus dealer service history and the "customer declined" notations. Sometimes the customer declined because they were smart enough to know they were being ripped off. That Lexus puts this trash into the public domain seems basically criminal to me.

The value of your vehicle has probably been harmed by this slander. You should let Lexus corporate know that you are unhappy about it.

lol in that paragraph alone i counted like 30 times they put in all caps, "CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE"

lol in that paragraph alone i counted like 30 times they put in all caps, "CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE"
Yeah, they were not happy about the fact that I called them out for making me wait even thought i was there before a newer 570 got there and left before I did.... but anyway, I want to replace the brakes and rotors...I keep seeing the Powerstop kit being used, is this a decent/good kit?? if not what do you guys suggest.

TIA

Replacing pads and rotors on this vehicle is a lot more involved than regular non-captive type of cars. Labor book give us 2.7 hours for the job so expect to pay a shop 300 in labor if you provide your own part. Since you are doing pads/rotors the bearings has to come out too so replace or repack those. The straw type bearings are incredibly more robust than ball bearing, they seldom need to be replaced. Just make sure whoever does the work, knows how to set preload for the bearing, also help if they have the proper 54mm axle nut as well. You don't know how many times ive gone into these axle nuts and find the previous shop had used chisels to loosened and tightened it.

Replacing pads and rotors on this vehicle is a lot more involved than regular non-captive type of cars. Labor book give us 2.7 hours for the job so expect to pay a shop 300 in labor if you provide your own part. Since you are doing pads/rotors the bearings has to come out too so replace or repack those. The straw type bearings are incredibly more robust than ball bearing, they seldom need to be replaced. Just make sure whoever does the work, knows how to set preload for the bearing, also help if they have the proper 54mm axle nut as well. You don't know how many times ive gone into these axle nuts and find the previous shop had used chisels to loosened and tightened it.
Another reason to find some local, nice hundy owners who have the tools already. You will save a lot of $$$ learning to work on the rig yourself; there are tons of resources in this forum with write-ups, videos, etc. to tackle most jobs yourself.

thanks for the info man, yeah I have a locla shop that I've taken all my Yotas to and they have performed flawlessly.

Screenshot_20200719-160409.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom