This 96 for sale... owner mentions this in ad... thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a Cruiser with just over 100k miles on it. It's a 96. The ad states this below:

"The engine was rebuilt in February by a Toyota dealer: they overhauled the engine, six cylinders, had the crankshaft polished, replaced oil pump, timing chain and guides. Reassembled engine with new bearings, gaskets and seals. Replaced oil level sensor and pressure gauge"

What would cause the need for the above work? Would this type of work scare you away from a sale or would you look at it like you were getting a vehicle with a 'refreshed' motor?

Thanks in advance,
Larry (eight-oh)

I'd shy away from it. Plenty that didn't have problems. Unless it is a steal. I know I wouldn't have faith in our local Toyota dealers rebuilding a LC motor.

With only the information you provided it is reasonable to presume that the engine suffered from a lubrication failure and one or more bearings on the crankshaft seized. Owner probably meant to say that the crankshaft was reground. What about the top end? Were pistons & rings replaced? Cylinders bored? What about the camshafts? From the ad it sounds like the oil pump is being blamed along with the sensors and gauges for not reporting the problem.

I guess you would be betting that the dealer did a proper and complete rebuild as required.

Sounds way to scarey for me.
I agree with others that it's unlikely that the local dealer did a good job of rebuilding it.

Get Junk to find you one of those nice, low mileage & well maintained 80s in NJ.

maybe his 17 YO son did neutral drops with it in Wally-world parking lot and they replaced the tranny, too --

-- run away!

Lars,
Toy dealerships, at least ones local to me, in my opinion, do not do good rebuilds. Don't know why that is, but it seems a common complaint. I would recommend finding one in better condition. There's no reason, when the market is full of good ones, to settle.

Hey, maybe they did a good job, but I would not bet my money on it.

Thanks. You guys are right. I would never have confidence in this motor.

It's too bad because it's a sharp looking truck with lockers and no factory roof rack..... and the right color :)

I am not sure if we are talking the same cruiser but I have seen on ebay on one 96 LC that motor was rebuilt. I have talked to the gentleman about the vehicle and it sounded like the lubrication failure that led into the rebuild. He was priding that it was done at Toyota dealer and inpeccable. If wwe are talking the same vehicle, this vehicle has not been sold for over three months and that tells you why.

Please, spend some more money or look a bit longer and you will get your dream. Nobody should settle for less !!!! ::)

Mike

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=6591;start=msg53743#msg53743 date=1066841496]
Please, spend some more money or look a bit longer and you will get your dream. Nobody should settle for less !!!! ::)

Mike
[/quote]

Trust me, I havent settled for less. I've been looking since April and my budget is not a hinderence.

[quote author=Darkangel link=board=2;threadid=6591;start=msg53741#msg53741 date=1066841137]
I am not sure if we are talking the same cruiser but I have seen on ebay on one 96 LC that motor was rebuilt. I have talked to the gentleman about the vehicle and it sounded like the lubrication failure that led into the rebuild. He was priding that it was done at Toyota dealer and inpeccable. If wwe are talking the same vehicle, this vehicle has not been sold for over three months and that tells you why.
[/quote]

Is it the Blue one? It was being sold on Ebay a month ago but the original seller sold it locally so he ended the auction early. Now it's being offered by a local dealer.

Larry,
If you're looking for a low mileage '97 Southwest truck then IM me. I will pass on the information on one here in Albuquerque if Kyle doesn't mind. I think he's looking for one that's closer to his budget. The local one is a silver '97 LX450 with diff locks and *no* roof rack (rare in the LX's.) 67k miles.
-B-

Thanks B. You have a PM. Not sure Im interested in the LX's though.... do they have the extra plastic body trim?

Lars,
Low ball the dealer by 5,000. If he takes it then get an extended warrenty by one of those companies. Then drive the snot out of it and see what happens. You might get luck and have nothing go wrong or you might get lucky and get a new motor when something goes wrong :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom