Third Row Removal is Super Easy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just figured I'd share this all in one place so people can find it.

Pulled out the third row and its seatbelts today:
original_7232fb3e-85ce-4ea7-ae08-68368fae2147_MVIMG_20191221_105640 (1).jpg

Tools needed: 14mm socket, ratchet, extension.

All the trim can be pulled with your hands alone. Just pop out the outside covers off each seat leg at a time, and each will expose two bolts. After removal, I replaced the bolts in their holes just to make sure I never lose them. To pull the seatbelts, just undo the lower bolts, then the pivot, then separate the vehicle side molding with your fingers. The 14mm bolt holding the belt coil in is just behind the seam. You'll need to pull out the lower panel a bit first, then pop the top panel out to actually work the coil free. Watch the tabs go into their slots straight when you push everything back together. It really is that easy. Took me 30 minutes all in.

I ordered a rubber mat from a Heritage Edition (part #PT206-60200-02) from Toyota Parts Center: Landcruiser Aw Cargo - Toyota (PT206-60200-02) | Toyota Parts. Took two days to arrive, cost was $60 before shipping. Fits perfectly.

Did this to create space for our dogs:
IMG_20191221_112013.jpg

That cargo barrier is just a cheap Amazon Basics item. Wouldn't recommend it much (the large fits pretty well though) as it provides no actual safety. Just using it as a placeholder until I figure out what we're doing with the build, and add something that will actually limit the dogs' travel in an impact. Those are Harbor Freight moving blankets, with holes punched near the outer trim, then zip tied down. I've haven't found anything else that repels dog hair as well as those. Just brush the dog hair out the back as you need to. Wash or replace them as necessary. They actually hold up pretty well too. I've got another set that's been around for 6 months. Used them to keep freezing rain off an accident victim while performing first aid/waiting for ambulance, washed them after, and they're still like new.

Quite the crew you have in the back! Too bad that cargo barrier isn't substantial......it looks like a pretty good fit.

just pulled mine out last week but skipped out on the seatbelt removal, but maybe I’ll pull them out next week
9019CCCB-540E-4A4F-940A-CB368827E674.jpeg

Are there any holes that need to be plugged? I believe I remember hearing on the LX (I have a 2013) you can see the ground through some of the holes that are no longer used.

I just put the bolts back in the holes I removed them from, after taking out the seats.

Reactions: HGB
On my LC you can’t see the ground through the holes as they go into a structural channel in the body. But, dust will come out of them on trails, so I used black vinyl tape to cover them. A chunk of 1x6 cut to fit in the indentations left in the carpet does a good job of filling the gaps under the cargo mat. Without that the pelican cooler I strap down on the right side for trips would wobble around, as one of its feet is right above an ex-3rd-row foot hole.

No airbags in the third row so you shouldn’t have any issues. Second row needs a resistor added to the yellow connector on removal.

I had just left the seatbelts alone not wanting to deal with the trim panels but this makes me want to pull those too..

The seatbelts are dead simple too. There's no electrical connection on them, so no, no lights or changes to vehicle systems.

One note on airbags: I believe there are curtain airbags covering at least the C-pillar and some portion of the rear side glass. I made sure to leave at least 4 inches of clearance between the cargo barrier and pillar to account for that. Maybe not that important with this piece of crap, but a proper strength rated barrier could impede airbag deployment.

The seatbelts are dead simple too. There's no electrical connection on them, so no, no lights or changes to vehicle systems.

One note on airbags: I believe there are curtain airbags covering at least the C-pillar and some portion of the rear side glass. I made sure to leave at least 4 inches of clearance between the cargo barrier and pillar to account for that. Maybe not that important with this piece of crap, but a proper strength rated barrier could impede airbag deployment.
I think the side bag is basically one solid bag, all the way back
1577316129738.jpeg

Great looking dogs! I am a fan of these nets from Raingler. They have various options with regards to material as well. We plan to get one to contain our giant German Shepherd to the rear cargo area. Lots of other cool stuff on the Raingler website for Toyotas of all types.

Great looking dogs! I am a fan of these nets from Raingler. They have various options with regards to material as well. We plan to get one to contain our giant German Shepherd to the rear cargo area. Lots of other cool stuff on the Raingler website for Toyotas of all types.

I looked at the Rainglers, but they're just kinda too janky looking to go in a nice brand new truck. Gonna have the local LC shop fab us something custom when they get started on the build. I might see if they want to make a small run of the barriers for forum types too.

I looked at the Rainglers, but they're just kinda too janky looking to go in a nice brand new truck. Gonna have the local LC shop fab us something custom when they get started on the build. I might see if they want to make a small run of the barriers for forum types too.

Excellent, I am curious to see what you come up with.

Having just pulled the trigger on the Raingler, I am still very interested in something custom-made--especially if local.

I am considering removing the third row seats from my 2018 200. Did you guys notice any increase in the rake of the car? Did the removed weight from the seats make a difference? I have the OEM front coil spacers in my LC200 and thought removing the third row would just so slightly return the OEM rake. How about fuel economy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom