Thinking switching from 315/75/R16 to 255/85/R16 - Good for desert sand? (1 Viewer)

One thing to keep in mind is that there is not very much deep sand in the desert southwest unless you are actively seeking it.

Plenty of deep sand around me. I definitely don't have to seek it out. Lots of the areas I am exploring or hunting have deep sand.

The funnest is getting buried in sand with snow on top!!!!

20220223_084902.jpg
20220223_085501.jpg

Another thing to remember, the Toyo 255s are listed at 33.5”.

I really like Andrew SPW. I think he has and lot of experience and does a good job of relating his vast knowledge. He often talks about the contact patch of a tire getting longer (front to rear) when aired down, not so much side to side spread. I don't know how this translates to deep sand, but the Aussie's and the South African's seem to do well with tall skinny tires.
I have been wanting to try the 255s. I don't see much sand here in Colorado, mostly rocky hard pack trails, and snow/ice in winter.

*Edit - I guess the Aussie's also go the wide tire route too.

All desert spec land cruiser come with narrow sand tires on split 16" rims. I'm referring to the 70 series..

This is the factory choice.

In sand, you need the length of the tread more than the width. So when you deflate, you get better floatation. No doubt the width does help but it doesn't affect as much as tread length (tire height).

Vehicle weight and tire load range along with tire pressure are the first thing to impact performance. deflating a light truck to 20 PSI will return less affect than deflating the same car with lighter load rating on the tires and at the same tire pressures.

Narrow tires will have less rolling resistance and less wear and tare. Also less fuel consumption. There is really no debate with narrow vs wide.

In terms of height. 33s would be the max size I'd run on any light load vehicle. In Saudi, they run 750R16s all day long because its the best compromise between clearance and performance.

On my general purpose cars, I prefer 255/85s. In my 20+ years of experience, they have been the best all around tire for a little bit of everything use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom