Thinking of selling my 2020 HE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

eBay has two listed

A 2019 for $82,995
A 2018 for $81,320

None have sold recently.

I bought a 2018 GX460 with 33,000 miles for $39,900 4 months ago. Yea, it's not a 2020 HE, still, people comparison shop.

Park it for 20 years, don't drive it. It will be worth a fortune on Bring a Trailer. Maybe gasoline vehicles will be banned.

I'd say do what makes you happy.

My .02, I think it might bring $90,000.

eBay has two listed

A 2019 for $82,995
A 2018 for $81,320

None have sold recently.

I bought a 2018 GX460 with 33,000 miles for $39,900 4 months ago. Yea, it's not a 2020 HE, still, people comparison shop.

Park it for 20 years, don't drive it. It will be worth a fortune on Bring a Trailer. Maybe gasoline vehicles will be banned.

I'd say do what makes you happy.

My .02, I think it might bring $90,000.

A fortune? Generally cars are not a great long-term investment. Let's say you bought a brand new FJ40 in 1978 for
a decent deal at $7400 and parked it.

Not taking into account storage fees, loss insurance, any upkeep, etc., if you sold it for $100k today your rate of return over 43 years at 6.5% with no compounding.

At the average rate of return on the stock market of 10.5%, the average return with annual compounding would be over $500k @ 43 years. When it comes to investments, there is no substitute for time.

Don't buy cars as an investment, as they rarely are. I love my Land Cruisers, but know they are a fun hobby, and a sinking fund!

A fortune? Generally cars are not a great long-term investment. Let's say you bought a brand new FJ40 in 1978 for
a decent deal at $7400 and parked it.

Not taking into account storage fees, loss insurance, any upkeep, etc., if you sold it for $100k today your rate of return over 43 years at 6.5% with no compounding.

At the average rate of return on the stock market of 10.5%, the average return with annual compounding would be over $500k @ 43 years. When it comes to investments, there is no substitute for time.

Don't buy cars as an investment, as they rarely are. I love my Land Cruisers, but know they are a fun hobby, and a sinking fund!
Unless it is an ultra rare Porsche or Ferrari, all cars depreciate. Some more than others. I think the 21 he will depreciate. How much remains to be seen.
Fact- the land cruiser brand is super valuable. Toyota would be stupid to not continue to utilize this brand in the NA market. I firmly believe there will a new land cruiser in the USA at some point. It could be a halo vehicle, like the Lexus LFA. Or they could make a Jeep Wrangler killer based on the T4r platform.

The made in America Toyotas do not even remotely compare to the quality and craftsmanship of the made in Japan models. I've had three LC's, two Tundra's, and two Sequoia's. There is just no comparing them. The Sequoia and Tundra do not have the fit and finish the LC's. Nothing wrong with them, but they feel cheaply made.

I agree with you, its just that the LC specifically and LX have their own assembly line and plant just to themselves.
They are the exception to the rule regardless of country of origin. Its not a fair comparison at all as they are meticulous with that specific vehicle on top of their already stringent QA. It's an interesting fact however and I wonder if that will continue or not. I guess the 300 sales numbers will determine that.

If you haven't read up on their philosophy in assembly line QA BTW you should definitely do that.
Their approach is very interesting for a large scale manufacturer and much more involved than most auto industry lines.

Also, the new tundra and its 1794 interior variant LOOK promising in terms of refinement. Eager to see first hand reports once they are in drivers hands, not auto journalists. You can tell they are trying with that truck and punching up.

Not exactly what you were looking for....but would you be willing to part with (sell) the OEM running boards? Bought my first LC, a 2021 HE, and my toddlers are having trouble getting in. Took my 4Runner to 250k and finally had to get more space for the kids and dog (and associated gear). Already saved my butt in a random Houston flash flood a few weeks ago.

LOL you mean the predictable and regularly occurring flash floods :).

I agree with you, its just that the LC specifically and LX have their own assembly line and plant just to themselves.
They are the exception to the rule regardless of country of origin. Its not a fair comparison at all as they are meticulous with that specific vehicle on top of their already stringent QA. It's an interesting fact however and I wonder if that will continue or not. I guess the 300 sales numbers will determine that.

If you haven't read up on their philosophy in assembly line QA BTW you should definitely do that.
Their approach is very interesting for a large scale manufacturer and much more involved than most auto industry lines.

Also, the new tundra and its 1794 interior variant LOOK promising in terms of refinement. Eager to see first hand reports once they are in drivers hands, not auto journalists. You can tell they are trying with that truck and punching up.

Yes, those exact ones. Hence the LC!

The 4Runner (Japan built) fit and finish is much better than the Rav4 or Tacoma. Although I don't have an issue with the American built, they are still good trucks built on the same general philosophy, but I have had better experience with Japan built overall. I have had 3 Tacomas and all were bulletproof, although more prone to rattles than my 4Runners. My FIL has a 2003 Taco with 400k miles with zero issues. Battery changes and fluid changes only. Clutch is a bit loose, but it has been beaten to hell.

I get your point, but the Range Rover, unfortunately, isn't the perfect example as they tend to have issues much sooner than ~4 years. My 2014 Range Rover had issues right from delivery, had more issues a few months later, and was traded in for something else (Mercedes G550) after just 6 months because I wanted to own a vehicle that I would have in my possession more of the time than the dealer service center would. Mercedes is possibly a better example because they're somewhere between Land Rover's complete lack of quality control and Toyota's excellent quality control (I hesitate to say perfect, because that really isn't realistic). I was hesitant to own a G-wagon past the warranty period, but I won't really be concerned owning a Toyota product (Land Cruiser or otherwise) past the warranty period.

Yep RR is very bad. But if you still have a warranty those common $2-6K repairs are covered and you get a loaner? ;) I was a Disco guy most of my life. I picked up the LC because I was tired of the constant maintenance. When I compared the costs it was Land Cruiser all the way. The last 5 years they have become even worse. Range Rover is now a Rav4 with better leather. If you take Toyota off the table I think a G-wagon is the next best thing available. The only problem with them is when they break it's a major cost, the maintenance is up there and there are not as many options for mods with out going custom build. Toyota.

Yep RR is very bad. But if you still have a warranty those common $2-6K repairs are covered and you get a loaner? ;) I was a Disco guy most of my life. I picked up the LC because I was tired of the constant maintenance. When I compared the costs it was Land Cruiser all the way. The last 5 years they have become even worse. Range Rover is now a Rav4 with better leather. If you take Toyota off the table I think a G-wagon is the next best thing available. The only problem with them is when they break it's a major cost, the maintenance is up there and there are not as many options for mods with out going custom build. Toyota.
LOL, a Range Rover is quite a bit different from a Rav4 with better leather. Land Rover is an extremely frustrating brand for me. Overall, I LOVE their design, ruggedness, etc. But the complete lack of quality control just completely destroys the experience. My '95 Disco was a ton of fun, but the thing was always in the shop getting something repaired. Loaners are all well and good, but it gets real old after a while when the dealer is ~40 minutes away and you have to visit the dealer more often than the grocery store. The newer models use a really stupid transmission knob that retracts into the center console when you shut the car off. If it doesn't pop up when you start the car, you have no way to shift out of park. And yes, I ran into that problem on the 2014 Range Rover (fortunately not out in the middle of nowhere). That was the last straw in deciding to trade it in after only 6 months. What a stupid thing to try to get cute about with "clever" engineering on a vehicle.

Agreed that the G-wagon is probably the next best option after the LC overall. I don't have any experience driving or owning a 2019 or newer model, but owned a 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and 2017 G63 (I know, that's a lot of trades in a short time, but I got pretty fantastic trade ins on all of them and had what felt like good reasons to make the changes) and they were absolutely fantastic vehicles overall. Quality control wasn't up to Toyota standards, but FAR better than Land Rover and they never left me stranded anywhere. The G-wagons are very heavily built, have excellent cargo capacity (both volume and weight), are a joy to drive, have super comfortable seats, and so on. But you're correct that anything that breaks is $$$$ to fix and aftermarket support is weak.

LOL, a Range Rover is quite a bit different from a Rav4 with better leather. Land Rover is an extremely frustrating brand for me. Overall, I LOVE their design, ruggedness, etc. But the complete lack of quality control just completely destroys the experience. My '95 Disco was a ton of fun, but the thing was always in the shop getting something repaired. Loaners are all well and good, but it gets real old after a while when the dealer is ~40 minutes away and you have to visit the dealer more often than the grocery store. The newer models use a really stupid transmission knob that retracts into the center console when you shut the car off. If it doesn't pop up when you start the car, you have no way to shift out of park. And yes, I ran into that problem on the 2014 Range Rover (fortunately not out in the middle of nowhere). That was the last straw in deciding to trade it in after only 6 months. What a stupid thing to try to get cute about with "clever" engineering on a vehicle.

Agreed that the G-wagon is probably the next best option after the LC overall. I don't have any experience driving or owning a 2019 or newer model, but owned a 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and 2017 G63 (I know, that's a lot of trades in a short time, but I got pretty fantastic trade ins on all of them and had what felt like good reasons to make the changes) and they were absolutely fantastic vehicles overall. Quality control wasn't up to Toyota standards, but FAR better than Land Rover and they never left me stranded anywhere. The G-wagons are very heavily built, have excellent cargo capacity (both volume and weight), are a joy to drive, have super comfortable seats, and so on. But you're correct that anything that breaks is $$$$ to fix and aftermarket support is weak.
Agreed on Land Rover, especially some of the classic Defenders. Truly badass, but I won't own one since they're *almost* as reliable as my Nigerian friend funding my bank account.

They don’t have their own plant - do they?

As I understand it, they roll off the line with GX’s, 4Runners, and LS sedans……

They don’t have their own plant - do they?

As I understand it, they roll off the line with GX’s, 4Runners, and LS sedans……

I do see some conflicting results about the Tahara plant but this is what ive always read about and known.
Could be wrong and that its changed.

Pride of the land: visiting the Japanese factory that makes Toyota’s ubiquitous Land Cruiser - https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/pride-of-the-land-visiting-the-japanese-factory-that-makes-toyota-s-ubiquitous-land-cruiser-1.183668

@Onur has been good about setting the record straight on assembly line information in the past.

I know a little bit about Toyota Land Cruiser manufacturing…. What’s the question?

B311BA93-8257-42A7-A2A1-5E6755913B66.jpeg

73382CDC-E168-4FDE-9E40-2848074B9DDD.jpeg

837B0CCA-7189-458E-AF83-F4889269AD58.jpeg
01381D66-1E97-4D10-89E4-BA6249B55BD3.jpeg

Last edited:
As the thread title indicates, I'm considering selling my '20 Blizzard White HE. I absolutely love the truck, but I am missing the open bed of a pick-up and I really don't have the room to keep two trucks. 14,000 easy miles. I've not been keeping up with the market. What is a late model 200 going for these days? Only mods are OEM front spacers, OEM running boards, fifth BBS wheel and five new Nitto Terra Grapplers (LT285/65R18). Thanks in advance.
If you do sell, I’d be interested in purchasing the OEM running boards. Traveling up to WV in end October and could meet you somewhere close to PA.

Let me know,

Best,
Stan

I just sold one of my 200 land Cruisers , I kept my 2018 LC200 , my dealer who originally sold me both my 2018 and 2019 was for the wife she likes the BMW better … LOL
If you don’t need the 200 like mine was just sitting around with 1800 original miles on mine , hot market was the time to sell , I don’t think if the perfect storm for last year of LC200 and Shortage of vehicles the LC 200 would not be bringing the numbers they are way above NADA or Blue book , I got stupid money for mine .
The same dealer that sold me the LC 200 bought / Trade … I took another new vehicle and a big check .I was close to taking the whole check but had a pretty cool toy and took advantage of the tax credit since the new vehicle they gave me was lesser value .
If I did not have 2 of the LC200’s I would not have made that move , got a pretty cool new toy that was diesel and could put 35’s right from the factory , not as tough as the LC 200 but way more capable and don’t have to 20k iinto it … Wish Toyota would bring a diesel to USA , love the diesel torque .

ICYMI...

The one that takes the cake is the Grey HE with about 2,000 miles.... Hope you are sitting down... $137k for a stock LC200. The Ed Martin one is even higher, but looks more modded, so not apples to apples. IMHO, yours should be worth about $95-105 depending on cosmetic condition, current comps, and local area. Go Eagles!

It's so tempting, in some respects, to cash in on this madness. The problem is that I need SOMETHING to drive (the LC is my only vehicle) and I kind of like my LC... Making a $10-20K profit over the original price paid really isn't enough to end up driving something I'm not as happy with. Assuming the LC is sold through a private sale and is replaced with another brand new vehicle, a lot of that profit will get lost paying sales tax on whatever is bought to replace the LC in states with sales tax. When trading in, sales tax is only paid on the difference between price paid for the next car and the trade in amount. Sales tax on a $90K purchase would be a little over $5500 here in MA.

It might be more tempting if we knew exactly what sort of trim levels Lexus was going to bring in with the new LX (such as if there be some sort of offroad biased model to fill the LC void), but then there's still the loss of the split tailgate. Though I am a bit torn on the split tailgate too - it's nice to have at times, but it does make access to stuff that has rolled toward the back seat more difficult.

It's so tempting, in some respects, to cash in on this madness. The problem is that I need SOMETHING to drive (the LC is my only vehicle) and I kind of like my LC... Making a $10-20K profit over the original price paid really isn't enough to end up driving something I'm not as happy with. Assuming the LC is sold through a private sale and is replaced with another brand new vehicle, a lot of that profit will get lost paying sales tax on whatever is bought to replace the LC in states with sales tax. When trading in, sales tax is only paid on the difference between price paid for the next car and the trade in amount. Sales tax on a $90K purchase would be a little over $5500 here in MA.

It might be more tempting if we knew exactly what sort of trim levels Lexus was going to bring in with the new LX (such as if there be some sort of offroad biased model to fill the LC void), but then there's still the loss of the split tailgate. Though I am a bit torn on the split tailgate too - it's nice to have at times, but it does make access to stuff that has rolled toward the back seat more difficult.
Yes, not to mention the loss of the V8. And any vehicle you purchase to replace now will also be over-inflated in price. For me, I wouldn't worry so much about the money aspect, more-so on the reality of not being able to get back into such a nice LC if you even wanted to any time soon due to lack of availability and prices on ones that are for sale.

Regarding the V8... Prior to my land cruiser I had owned an F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost (from what I read, similar design to the incoming engine) and put over 100k miles on it. While yes, it did produce a lot of power, and was somewhat reliable (only issues I had was the turbos liked to burn up the electronic throttle body and the DI spark plugs would also cook quickly) I was still never satisfied with the power delivery and turbo lag, how many times I would need to punch it and even though it would only be 1 or 2 seconds I'd internally scream at the truck to "Let's Go already". Maybe Toyota has figured that out, who knows. In the back of my mind I was always wondering how that little motor is going to hold up with all that boosting done to it, especially towing heavy up mountain passes at 100k miles. Anyways, landed a nice deal on an LC and the rest is history.

Yes, not to mention the loss of the V8. And any vehicle you purchase to replace now will also be over-inflated in price. For me, I wouldn't worry so much about the money aspect, more-so on the reality of not being able to get back into such a nice LC if you even wanted to any time soon due to lack of availability and prices on ones that are for sale.

Regarding the V8... Prior to my land cruiser I had owned an F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost (from what I read, similar design to the incoming engine) and put over 100k miles on it. While yes, it did produce a lot of power, and was somewhat reliable (only issues I had was the turbos liked to burn up the electronic throttle body and the DI spark plugs would also cook quickly) I was still never satisfied with the power delivery and turbo lag, how many times I would need to punch it and even though it would only be 1 or 2 seconds I'd internally scream at the truck to "Let's Go already". Maybe Toyota has figured that out, who knows. In the back of my mind I was always wondering how that little motor is going to hold up with all that boosting done to it, especially towing heavy up mountain passes at 100k miles. Anyways, landed a nice deal on an LC and the rest is history.
Isn't the new Toyota engine a hybrid? If so, that should resolve the turbo lag issue. But yeah, the "big" profit will be mostly or completely offset by the over-inflated price of what is bought to replace it. If the LC is a second vehicle and is just sold to make some money with no replacement in the immediate plans, that changes things a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom