Thinking of selling my 2020 HE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, not to mention the loss of the V8. And any vehicle you purchase to replace now will also be over-inflated in price. For me, I wouldn't worry so much about the money aspect, more-so on the reality of not being able to get back into such a nice LC if you even wanted to any time soon due to lack of availability and prices on ones that are for sale.

Regarding the V8... Prior to my land cruiser I had owned an F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost (from what I read, similar design to the incoming engine) and put over 100k miles on it. While yes, it did produce a lot of power, and was somewhat reliable (only issues I had was the turbos liked to burn up the electronic throttle body and the DI spark plugs would also cook quickly) I was still never satisfied with the power delivery and turbo lag, how many times I would need to punch it and even though it would only be 1 or 2 seconds I'd internally scream at the truck to "Let's Go already". Maybe Toyota has figured that out, who knows. In the back of my mind I was always wondering how that little motor is going to hold up with all that boosting done to it, especially towing heavy up mountain passes at 100k miles. Anyways, landed a nice deal on an LC and the rest is history.

No ones figured it out. They don't drive well and take a lot of fine tuning and complexity to get anything close to tolerable.

Cars have gotten progressively worse with turbos and 18 speed transmissions. They spend more time searching for power than actually moving only to save a minuscule amount of fuel. In comfort mode my LX spends more time shifting through 1st-3rd than actual time spent in those gears.
It's beyond dumb and saves almost zero fuel. Gears 1-2 serve no purpose other than minimally helping acceleration which no one cares about and the ECU wont even allow to engine to rev to save fuel so its useless as it is and gears 5,6,7 are not usable for towing. Gear 8 no one needs to be driving 100mph+ in this monstrosity nor is it legal anywhere. Whats going on? Give me a NA V8 with a properly geared 6 speed. The industry has been spinning its tires for a decade trying to eek out 1% efficiency gains to appease the governments and have destroyed the driving experience.

Isn't the new Toyota engine a hybrid? If so, that should resolve the turbo lag issue. But yeah, the "big" profit will be mostly or completely offset by the over-inflated price of what is bought to replace it. If the LC is a second vehicle and is just sold to make some money with no replacement in the immediate plans, that changes things a bit.

Exactly. The TTV6 Hybrid does fill the gap but its one step forward two steps back. More focus should have been put on the electric drive rather than adding turbos and even more gearing. Electric power needs to be embraced that is the only real advancement we have that does what its supposed to do simply and reliably without smoke and mirrors.

No ones figured it out. They don't drive well and take a lot of fine tuning and complexity to get anything close to tolerable.

Cars have gotten progressively worse with turbos and 18 speed transmissions. They spend more time searching for power than actually moving only to save a minuscule amount of fuel. In comfort mode my LX spends more time shifting through 1st-3rd than actual time spent in those gears.
It's beyond dumb and saves almost zero fuel. Gears 1-2 serve no purpose other than minimally helping acceleration which no one cares about and the ECU wont even allow to engine to rev to save fuel so its useless as it is and gears 5,6,7 are not usable for towing. Gear 8 no one needs to be driving 100mph+ in this monstrosity nor is it legal anywhere. Whats going on? Give me a NA V8 with a properly geared 6 speed. The industry has been spinning its tires for a decade trying to eek out 1% efficiency gains to appease the governments and have destroyed the driving experience.

Exactly. The TTV6 Hybrid does fill the gap but its one step forward two steps back. More focus should have been put on the electric drive rather than adding turbos and even more gearing. Electric power needs to be embraced that is the only real advancement we have that does what its supposed to do simply and reliably without smoke and mirrors.
That super low 1&2 are great off-road.. and incremental changes are how we have all the great technology we do. I still haven’t driven an 8spd cruiser so I can’t say whether I’d dislike it as much as many here do compared to the 6, but simply adding 285/70r17 tires to my six speed is going to require regearing to get the sauce back. And my build is mild. That wouldn’t be the case with the 8.

As for electric doing more.. they can’t put too much emphasis on the battery half of a hybrid power train in a vehicle that needs to tow or you won’t have acceptable levels of power for things like Vail pass once the battery is depleted. I’m very curious how the tundra hybrid handles the Ike challenge, but even if the battery can’t go the full distance the v6 has plenty of power for the rest.

That super low 1&2 are great off-road.. and incremental changes are how we have all the great technology we do. I still haven’t driven an 8spd cruiser so I can’t say whether I’d dislike it as much as many here do compared to the 6, but simply adding 285/70r17 tires to my six speed is going to require regearing to get the sauce back. And my build is mild. That wouldn’t be the case with the 8.

As for electric doing more.. they can’t put too much emphasis on the battery half of a hybrid power train in a vehicle that needs to tow or you won’t have acceptable levels of power for things like Vail pass once the battery is depleted. I’m very curious how the tundra hybrid handles the Ike challenge, but even if the battery can’t go the full distance the v6 has plenty of power for the rest.

I agree, i want to see it do the Ike. The battery should not deplete when the engine is engaged to that extent.
Its also funny Rivian didnt allow towing in all the media reviews recently.

You're free to drive mine BTW im on 285/70r17. I want to try out your C load tires :).

Yes, not to mention the loss of the V8. And any vehicle you purchase to replace now will also be over-inflated in price. For me, I wouldn't worry so much about the money aspect, more-so on the reality of not being able to get back into such a nice LC if you even wanted to any time soon due to lack of availability and prices on ones that are for sale.

Regarding the V8... Prior to my land cruiser I had owned an F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost (from what I read, similar design to the incoming engine) and put over 100k miles on it. While yes, it did produce a lot of power, and was somewhat reliable (only issues I had was the turbos liked to burn up the electronic throttle body and the DI spark plugs would also cook quickly) I was still never satisfied with the power delivery and turbo lag, how many times I would need to punch it and even though it would only be 1 or 2 seconds I'd internally scream at the truck to "Let's Go already". Maybe Toyota has figured that out, who knows. In the back of my mind I was always wondering how that little motor is going to hold up with all that boosting done to it, especially towing heavy up mountain passes at 100k miles. Anyways, landed a nice deal on an LC and the rest is history.
Regarding the 3.5. I disagree completely. I own that engine in a 2016 expedition. That truck has buku torque at any rpm. I bet the 60-80 acceleration of the 3.5 dwarfs the 5.7. A dual turbo v6 is a lot of fun to drive. It sounds like crap at idle though.

That said, I love the 5.7. Im worried a twin turbo truck won’t be nearly as reliable.

Regarding the 3.5. I disagree completely. I own that engine in a 2016 expedition. That truck has buku torque at any rpm. I bet the 60-80 acceleration of the 3.5 dwarfs the 5.7. A dual turbo v6 is a lot of fun to drive. It sounds like crap at idle though.

That said, I love the 5.7. Im worried a twin turbo truck won’t be nearly as reliable.
My F-150 developed about a 1-2 second turbo lag during roll ons say between 15-30mph. Yes it does have gobs of power once spooled up. After 100k miles the thing sounded like a typewriter at a courtroom, even with religious 5k mile full synthetic oil changes I’m thinking my timing chain was stretching. Still got $30k in on trade for it so at least it held good value.

The cam phasers in our 3.5 had to be replaced after only 28/30k miles. Then the front end had to be replaced at around 60k. Love the truck but it's definitely not the most reliable out there.

The cam phasers in our 3.5 had to be replaced after only 28/30k miles. Then the front end had to be replaced at around 60k. Love the truck but it's definitely not the most reliable out there.
Define “front end”. That is abnormal.

I get the concern about turbos and so on, but is it not reasonable to think that a Toyota engine will be more reliable than a Ford, GM, etc. engine?

I get the concern about turbos and so on, but is it not reasonable to think that a Toyota engine will be more reliable than a Ford, GM, etc. engine?
Definitely feel the Toyota will be more reliable, though there are still a lot more moving parts and high boost in a small displacement engine. Many more points of to fail that would cause a trip to the dealership. Less reliable vehicles are actually more profitable for dealerships. That being said, Toyota seems to have run these engines for some time in Lexus units with good results, though this will be the first time using them for more severe duty work and towing.

Definitely feel the Toyota will be more reliable, though there are still a lot more moving parts and high boost in a small displacement engine. Many more points of to fail that would cause a trip to the dealership. Less reliable vehicles are actually more profitable for dealerships. That being said, Toyota seems to have run these engines for some time in Lexus units with good results, though this will be the first time using them for more severe duty work and towing.
My thoughts exactly.

Plus I’d add… simply being more reliable than a Ford or GM engine isn’t saying much.

The new Tundra is just to new to report on that going to be a couple years , never buy the. First year of any new vehicle , the 4runner would be Toyotas best SUV in the America market right now . Seem Jeep has moved into leading the SUV adventure market , Ford is making a run with the bronco , I’m not a fan right now .
The LC 200 is a great SUV and would not have sold the one I got for the wife … she likes the BMW better … Chick thing … I am a Tech person and can’t wait for solid dependable EV will come EV has less moving parts , EV motor technology is here but comes down to batteries .
If you really don’t need the 200 it’s the time to sell it , if its not like new and have a few thousand miles on it its just going to be a average sale . High gas prices don’t help , it is hot market at the moment and as I said the perfect storm .

Seeing Bronco's in the wild in my wheeling in Anza Borrego. Cool things, immensely capable, but no want or lust from me as they're just not in the same class. Same as a Jeep.

Also starting to see issues things online that would never fail on a cruiser. Seeing complaints of stripped steering racks and undersized parts. I don't think the cruiser has ever been accused of undersized anything?

25f13ffc-fb75-4de4-8182-585d66216392-jpeg.188550

05461fb2-97b2-481a-9a89-9aba2fb0a502-jpeg.188552

Seeing Bronco's in the wild in my wheeling in Anza Borrego. Cool things, immensely capable, but no want or lust from me as they're just not in the same class. Same as a Jeep.

Also starting to see issues things online that would never fail on a cruiser. Seeing complaints of stripped steering racks and undersized parts. I don't think the cruiser has ever been accused of undersized anything?

Is that an Aluminum tie rod? Of all the places to try and save weight, that’s not one I’d want to do it on

8-speed is not as objectionable on road as I feared would it be. Somewhat clunky, but not too terrible. Mine does not slam hard going from 2nd to 1st at 10 mph like others I drove did. But the 6-speed is definitely nicer in highway driving - feels peppier.

Haven't taken the 8-speed off road yet, but for my (noob) driving style I definitely felt I could use lower 1st gear than what is in the 6-speed (of course in Lo). I think 8-speed will not disappoint.

Eh. What is a loaded (real) Bronco fetching?

The biggest turnoff was a mere 3500lb towing capacity.
Couldn't even pull my pop-up!

I love the looks and size of the new Bronco but if I am being honest with myself it'll never be anything more than a toy similar to a built JLU or Gladiator. The lack of towing are turnoffs if you plan to yank a trailer with it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom