Thinking of buying this '97 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked at this '97 LC with lockers last weekend and thinking of going back and purchasing it for $15K. It has just shy of 100K miles. Body is in great shape, no signs of accidents or paintwork or rust. The interior is one of the best i've seen. The driver side seat has very very minimal wear which is highly unusual considering the ones that i have been looking at so far. The rest of the interior is in just as great shape. It is a northeastern single owner car - Pennsylvania (Carfax and Autocheck confirmed). There is some surface rust underneath, nothing that looks excessive considering where it has spent it's life. No leaks from what I could see. Anything else I should look for before handing over the check? Thanks. Trying to upload some pics...
MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-006S.JPG

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-009S.JPG

MVC-010S.JPG

MVC-011S.JPG

MVC-012S.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-018S.JPG

MVC-019S.JPG

MVC-020S.JPG

MVC-023S.JPG

MVC-026S.JPG

MVC-027S.JPG

MVC-028S.JPG

MVC-029S.JPG

Last edited:
That's nice -- much nicer than mine I bought two years ago. I'd suggest getting under it and looking for leaky things, especially the front axle. This has some really good things as well -- I'll never buy another truck without it. :D

Looks good. Like stated above I would check out the front end and see how it looks and check for this service to have been performed. Also after looking at a northern 80 last week I would check the exhaust manifold where it makes a Y shape. This piece is pretty expensive and on the 80 I looked at it was almost completely rusted through. Nice find though with no roofrack and lockers. I like the land cruiser script on the side. I dont think Ive ever seen that before on one.

For $15,000 you should be able to find a similar truck that hasn't lived in the Rust Belt and has no rust of any kind on it. And even then I think that price is high. I really think more like $11,000, even with the low miles and lockers.

TJK

Nice truck and lockers is good but it's way overpriced. KBB private party for this is $11,675. I got one almost the same, no lockers but Collectors Edition with zero rust from dry and expensive California for 13,500 including $1800 for 12 months extended warranty and tags for 8 months which values the truck at about $11,500 and that was six months ago. With the rust and the gas prices in the salt zone you should be paying around $11,000.

Show this note to the seller, offer $11,000, walk and keep looking. If you really want it the pay $12,500 but any more is silly.

Nice "Land Cruiser" script on the front fenders. :)
$15k would be fair for that rig in my part of CA. That's around what people are asking -- the one you show seems to be in nice condition, based on the pics.

Check for leaks, check for front and rear lockers engaging, check all electronic bits -- antenna, stereo, etc. Ask if the starter has been replaced, if not, it may be due.

Does it come with service history/records?

I think that is a little high of a price to pay for a clean Northeast 80. But it is relatively low mileage with lockers. That price isn't any steal, but if you are a cash buyer, you can probably negotiate.

I don't think $13,5K or $14K would be outrageous to pay for a clean rig like that.

It isn't going to get any newer than that, and they aren't making any more for this market.

Even though it is really clean, you should probably budget for a full maintenance run through - especailly fluid/filter changes and possibly a front axle service. Possibly brakes too as they don't last long on the 80.

If you like it and can afford it, go for it.

Charlie

Kaderabek said:
For $15,000 you should be able to find a similar truck that hasn't lived in the Rust Belt and has no rust of any kind on it. And even then I think that price is high. I really think more like $11,000, even with the low miles and lockers.

TJK

I'm with Todd on this one, gauging from the holes in the rear I would hate to see what the underside looks like.

OZCAL,

I believe the receiver hitch itself was an option in the US. It appeared on the window sticker of mine as an option.

Charlie

Thanks all for your comments... I have been looking for a few months now, and a lot of them I come across have had good exteriors, but really bad interiors or vice versa. Most have a worn or ripped driver's seat. Others vary from stains, dash has been hacked to install accessories, or just plain not taken care of inside or outside. I have been focusing my search on a 97 LC with the electric lockers option within driving distance from my home (up to 600 miles).

This one here has a clean interior and the exterior (not underbody) looks well kept for an 8 year old truck. I am sure there are better ones out there, guess I can keep looking, but as CharlieS said "It isn't going to get any newer than that, and they aren't making any more for this market."

There wasn't a trailer hitch on the truck, I checked for any signs of one. The picture makes the rust spots look worse than it really is, but nontheless, it is there. When I crawled underneath, I saw the typical discoloration of the of the components from salty roads. Wish I had taken a picture while I was under there! I have lived in NY most of my life and know what that stuff can do to a car/truck and this did not look like it was sitting outside every winter for eight years.

Thanks again.

That's a nice rig, but I don't think I'd spend $15k on any 80 at this point. Prices are falling big time. The rusty pintle holes make me nervous.

If you are happy with the price, buy it. As you know you can look and look. In the end if you can afford the price and you are happy with the truck, get it. I think some get paralysis by analysis and a few good trucks were missed. JMHO.
Cheers,
Sean

My 96 has 180K and is not as nice on the outside....but I just paid $6000 for it with lockers. The great mass of folks who don't understand what a LC is all about see the gas milage and head for the hybred pines...I'll bet prices will fall farther soon.

The bottom line is: it's worth what you're willing to pay for it...good luck.

MTNRAT said:
If you are happy with the price, buy it. As you know you can look and look. In the end if you can afford the price and you are happy with the truck, get it. I think some get paralysis by analysis and a few good trucks were missed. JMHO.
Cheers,
Sean
Good advice!

Just buy it for $15k

Tell everyone that you stole it for $9k. Make everyone jealous of the great deal you got.

Seems like that's what some people do anyhow.

If you shop around your area long enough, I think you'll get a good idea of what's fair for your market. Sure, you'll find something cheaper or better somewhere else...but how much time do you want to spend looking for it? How far do you want to go to get it?

If you think it's a good deal, get it. Regardless of what you pay, someone will tell you that you could've or should've paid less.

Git 'er done!

I too have been looking for months (west coast) and the price does seem a little high. On the other hand if YOU are happy with the truck, it has everything you are looking for and you can talk them down some, go for it. Apparently, I have been looking in the wrong places, because I haven't been able to find this 100k miles, locked, perfect condition, fzj80 for less than 10k$ that everyone else talks about finding. Good luck.

Probably won't be able to buy this rig now. Scheduling conflicts prevent me from making the two day trip (10hrs one way) before the holidays start. Unless I can swing taking two days off this week - which I seriously doubt will happen. The dealer will be gone for a couple weeks this Friday. Just noticed it was up on eBay if anyone is interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOCK...oryZ6443QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just purchased a white 97 tan leather with lockers and 106K miles for $9300.00. NO body damage, no accidents, new brakes, optima red top. The cruiser only needed a tune up and some other addtional items. (Total $800)

Next in line: yep you guessed it, OME, ARB, IPF's.... it will be ready in two weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom