Thinking of buying new 2019-advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am seriously considering a brand new 2019 Land Cruiser. I've always wanted one, but they've been a bit out of reach until now. I've primarily had GM full size SUVs (current vehicle is a Suburban) and Audis, all of which have been quite good to me. I've done a test drive already and liked the vehicle preliminary, but wanted to come to the experts to get some more info as it's a pretty big decision. Every vehicle has pros/cons, so I wanted to know more about the ownership experience as this vehicle will be a long term keeper. A 20 minute test drive can't tell me what it's like to actually own/live with the vehicle. I've watched some Youtube reviews and read a few on sites like Car and Driver, but again it's not the same.

I'll just highlight a few areas of concern I have, but feel free to provide much more info:

1. Third row seats-I don't really need them and they cut into cargo space, salesman didn't know if they could be removed.
2. Range- I'm ok with the MPG, but the gas tank seems small, especially compared to my Suburban with a 30+ gal tank. Is range an issue in the real world? How far can you typically go on a tank?
3. Seat comfort- The seats felt good on my short test drive, but how are they for long trips?
4. Interior quality- The interior materials to me felt kind of subpar for the price tag, but what's your opinion? Do they hold up well without cracks/rattles/etc?
5. Safety- I couldn't find any US crash test info for the LC. I don't think they're unsafe or I wouldn't be considering it, but safety is the top priority.
6. HVAC performance- How is it to live with, especially the AC? My tester was running when I got to it, so I didn't get to see how the A/C performs from startup. Very important, I live in a hot and humid place.

Any other know issues or weak points to be aware of? Pretty much every vehicle has something or another small things.

RE 1: Ten minutes with basic hand tools to remove the seats.
RE 2: The tank is smaller than I'd prefer, but I've never had an issue with range. Gas stations are everywhere. Long-range auxiliary gas tanks can be installed if you REALLY need more range.
RE 3: Seats in my '14 LX are comfortable - no issues. They're not the most luxurious and comfortable seats money can buy, but I have no complaints.
RE 4: Quality of fit/build is top notch. Consider an LX if you want higher-end finishings.
RE 5: Can't speak to that.
RE 6: AC is strong and cool on my 5 year old vehicle. Cold air starts coming out very quickly.

> Any other know issues or weak points to be aware of? Pretty much every vehicle has something or another small things.

My OEM rotors were warped at just 39,000km (time of purchase). I don't know whether they got warped by the previous owner, or whether they got warped on the ~300km drive home (high-elevation mountain passes, cold, middle of winter temperatures). Could be a one-off, could be something larger.

You will find much confirmation bias in the 200 forum, most here are owners. Many here off-road. A few here aggressively off-road.

the 2020 Heritage will come without a third row fyi, but it is a somewhat easy job to remove.

#1: Very easy to remove the rear 3rd row in the Land Cruiser, you just pop off some plastic, then remove 4 bolts on each side and they lift right out. A little more involved with the LX since they have a power lift system, but doable.

#2: The range is deceivingly short, due to a very conservative gas gauge and early Reserve light coming on. I agree that I wish it was longer. I generally start thinking about gas at about the 250 mile point, but others have reported getting 350+ miles out of a tank if you bravely ignore the warning light.

#3: seat comfort is very subjective. I like them, but I'm a short/slim guy, 5'-8", 145 lbs.

#5: I believe the production numbers are too low to publish much in the safety and reliability ratings.

#6: Be aware that the "cooled" seats don't seem to do much. All the cooling system does is circulate cabin air up through the perforations, it's not very impressive.

1. Third row is easy to remove , was the first thing I did to mine. Ordered an Australian mat to fill the space a version is now available here in America.
2. Range could be better. I want an aux tank. A lot of things affect mileage
3. Seats are great
4. Seems good and very durable.
5. Seems safe . it is big heavy and this tends to help in accidents.
6. I am in Georgia. I am sure I have more humidity than NJ. It works like a champ. If you want to help buy a lighter color.

1. As others said seats are easily removable but there will be holes in the floor carpeting against the wheel wells where the feet for them were. It’s not usually a problem, but doesn’t have the finished look you’d expect of a high-80k dollar SUV.

4. You’ll likely find the landcruiser shockingly resistant to rattles and squeaks. It is a lot of plastic, but very high quality parts, tons of fasteners holding everything down, and Toyota’s most rigorous testing to keep everything solid and quiet. Mine has 140K on it and other than the rattling passenger headrest which is a known issue on the earlier trucks, you just can’t find any squeaks or rattles.

6. Zero complaints here from the climate control even in central Texas heat/humidity, and that is with rarely using the rear AC because it just isn’t called for most of the time. Agree with KLF on the seats.. they aren’t cooled. Just ventilated. Granted the intakes for the fans are right above a floor AC vent so the air is usually not hot at least.

@grinchy has a great point though. Lots of 200-series fans here.

I’ll add to #2, I’m in Alaska and gas stations are few and far between. The only time I have “range issues” is when I’m towing my 7k lb camper and getting 8-9mpg.

Hello everyone! I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am seriously considering a brand new 2019 Land Cruiser. I've always wanted one, but they've been a bit out of reach until now. I've primarily had GM full size SUVs (current vehicle is a Suburban) and Audis, all of which have been quite good to me. I've done a test drive already and liked the vehicle preliminary, but wanted to come to the experts to get some more info as it's a pretty big decision. Every vehicle has pros/cons, so I wanted to know more about the ownership experience as this vehicle will be a long term keeper. A 20 minute test drive can't tell me what it's like to actually own/live with the vehicle. I've watched some Youtube reviews and read a few on sites like Car and Driver, but again it's not the same.

I'll just highlight a few areas of concern I have, but feel free to provide much more info:

1. Third row seats-I don't really need them and they cut into cargo space, salesman didn't know if they could be removed.
2. Range- I'm ok with the MPG, but the gas tank seems small, especially compared to my Suburban with a 30+ gal tank. Is range an issue in the real world? How far can you typically go on a tank?
3. Seat comfort- The seats felt good on my short test drive, but how are they for long trips?
4. Interior quality- The interior materials to me felt kind of subpar for the price tag, but what's your opinion? Do they hold up well without cracks/rattles/etc?
5. Safety- I couldn't find any US crash test info for the LC. I don't think they're unsafe or I wouldn't be considering it, but safety is the top priority.
6. HVAC performance- How is it to live with, especially the AC? My tester was running when I got to it, so I didn't get to see how the A/C performs from startup. Very important, I live in a hot and humid place.

Any other know issues or weak points to be aware of? Pretty much every vehicle has something or another small things.

I own one...

1-take them out...not a big deal
2-I get 16.5 MPG...but I seem to find a gas station every now and again. :)
3-this is my second...they are comfortable and have great support, IMO...lumbar is nice and plenty of room
4-completely disagree. my 2016 had 30+k on it when I sold it and it was dead silent. Find any GM or Ford with 30k and ride in it. Hell, cadillacs are squeaky nearly immediately. I'll admit, it's not flashy or "cool" but it's quality components that are installed correctly. The build quality is unlike the 35 cars I've owned previously
5-can't tell you about crash test info...feels like a tank though
6-gets cold quick and stays cold...4 zone is great for everyone in the vehicle.

only thing I don't like is the damn brake accumulator noise...but I'm picky and most people tell me to drop it, so...

Buy it...it's an awesome machine.

I have a 2010 LC, purchased new, with over 168k on the clock. Still tight as can be, save one headrest that rattles a tiny bit. Range, pretty much what others have stated, but has never been an issue in my travels. With regular maintenance I’ve had no major issues. Speaking of maintenance , my A/C blows as cold as can be, and has never been recharged since I bought the vehicle :smokin: On my list for next service visit a a preventative measure. Buy it, you’ll love it:cheers:

#5 what has kept me from making the leap is a concern about safety. Specifically rollover. I searched and found a very large number of rollover accidents that seems to entirely crush the roof. I currently drive an suv with the strongest roof made and was unable to make the compromise.
NCAP did do a crash test. It did pretty well. Given the weight and the fair crash test, I would say if you could avoid rollover it is likely one of the safer vehicles. When it comes to rollover I have some major concerns that I WISH I didn’t have. Would love to make the leap, but my families safety overrides everything else for me.

#3 - The seats are great. Several times a year I drive 16-17 hrs, 1,200 miles in a day and they feel good. I am 6'2" 185 lbs. I had an f-150 that would make my legs numb after only an hour or two.

#1: Very easy to remove the rear 3rd row in the Land Cruiser, you just pop off some plastic, then remove 4 bolts on each side and they lift right out. A little more involved with the LX since they have a power lift system, but doable.

"More involved" = unclipping a single wire harness from each side. It's still the same 4 bolts and two plastic shrouds FYI. I can swap em in my 570 in < 10 minutes.

For #5 read my post from the wreck I was involved in

That's great to hear. My concerns were as an older design it may not have been designed with more modern methodology like small-overlap crash test in mind.

1. Third row seats- can be taken off. I use them when I roll deep with my family either my Asian side or my lady's Latina side. Haha
2. Range- the fuel tank is small considering the fact that a 4runner and gx460's fuel tank is the same size. Wish we can bolt on the 16+ tundra fuel sr5 upgrade fuel tank cuz its 38 gallons but we cant.
3. Seat comfort- seats are amazing. I literally drive to Houston or Louisiana almost every month from Austin and it's the preferred vehicle for my family to drive as far as total family comfort to what I have. I have a 11 tundra, gx470, and rcf too.
4. Interior quality- the interior and overall aesthetics is great compared to the comp especially when you consider longevity. My bro in law has the extra long fully loaded Escalade. It's nice but for as big as a SUV it is it feels condensed as driver and passenger seats are jet fighter cockpit feel. So really tight seating imo.
5. Safety- safety is one of the best in the market. Toyota safety sense standard plus star safety system. Also ladder frame, higher off the ground, and almost 6k in weight. God forbid but in an accident the laws of physics are on your side compared to most cars on the road.
Also you may want to adjust the distance for precollision system as it's very active so you may want to decrease the distance. Safety plus.
6. HVAC performance- How is it to live with, especially the AC? Toyotas have the best AC in the entire automotive industry. Part of toyota reliability isnt just engine and transmission. It's also the ac. That's why a lot of members here dont stress about any land cruiser or toyotas over 100k miles. I traded my 06 v8 4x4 4runner with 185k and never had a ac problem. My 11 tundra has 190k miles and ac still blows cold. Freon will need to be added but compressors for Toyota now is really good.

I'm hardcore Toyota guy as you can tell. Mi 2 cents.

6. I am in Georgia. I am sure I have more humidity than NJ. It works like a champ. If you want to help buy a lighter color.

I'm from AL originally, and it somehow manages to be slightly worse here.

The biggest reasons to buy an LX 570 is the fact that you will never be stranded it will last as long as you want to drive it with factory recommended maintenance. Six thousand pounds of protection for you and your family if dependability build quality and longevity are important to you this is your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom