Thinking of bringing some 16 & 17 inch wheels to market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Alibaster I like it. Just like I'm thinking of. You happen to know what page on the tundra wheel thread that was from?

So basically that in 16x8 with +60 factory offset? Initially I'll be limited in what I can bring in, so narrowing down the few specific sizes is important. I figure there might be one relatively common size like 16 ~factory that adds new style and color options, then a couple 'off-sizes' that hit just the right specs for fitment that don't currently exist.

Yeah, if I had my way it'd be 16" and have the factory offset. The only issue would be those giant center caps. I'm no wheel expert so I don't know what goes into to eliminate the bump. Probably wheels thickness or some jazz. I like the flush look of those ones.

How about a 16x7" wheel with a proper offset to run 255's without looking dorky? :p
You could try the OE 70 series alloy wheels. 16x7 and I believe zero offset. But yeah, something in the +10 to 25mm offset would probably be more ideal.

Image result for landcruiser 79 series alloy wheel

Shops won't mount a 305 wide tires on 8" wide rim, ended up getting 18x9 ET +30 and running 305/65/18. I would love to run a 295/70/17 on a 17x8.5" rim if i could.
I don't see why they wouldn't. Most 305's are approved for 8" wheels according the the manufacturers.

I think the ICON six speed wheel (17x8.5 25mm offset) is a great size and it'll fit LC100, 200 and Tundras.

17-sixspeed-wheel-gunmetal-finish.jpg

The market that is unfulfilled is the 16x8 (or 8.5) +25 to +35mm offset. But this wheel size will likely only fit the LC100.

So my vote would be these two sizes:

16x7 +20mm offset (perfect for the 255/85R16 crowd)

16x8 (or 8.5), +35mm offset to appease the 285/75R16 and 315/75R16 folks

You could try the OE 70 series alloy wheels. 16x7 and I believe zero offset. But yeah, something in the +10 to 25mm offset would probably be more ideal.

Image result for landcruiser 79 series alloy wheel

I don't see why they wouldn't. Most 305's are approved for 8" wheels according the the manufacturers.

I think the ICON six speed wheel (17x8.5 25mm offset) is a great size and it'll fit LC100, 200 and Tundras.

17-sixspeed-wheel-gunmetal-finish.jpg

The market that is unfulfilled is the 16x8 (or 8.5) +25 to +35mm offset. But this wheel size will likely only fit the LC100.

So my vote would be these two sizes:

16x7 +20mm offset (perfect for the 255/85R16 crowd)

16x8 (or 8.5), +35mm offset to appease the 285/75R16 and 315/75R16 folks

For safety reasons most shops won't mount 305 on an 8" wide rim, they require at least 9" wide. Might just be my local tire place but that's what i've heard from other people as well. A mom and pop gas station might mount it for you but not a chain store.

I want a wheel that is lighter than the oem 16s. Just sayin.

The wheels are not a problem, it was never a problem, it's the tires that weigh it down. My tires weigh more than twice my wheel's weight, and i'm running 18s!

I would be very interested in a STEEL OEM-look rim in 16x7. Factory utility-box grey.

For a 255/85r16 tire on a 7" rim to keep factory scrub you will need a +53mm offset as per calculations below. One should always match to factory scrub radius for proper steering geometry and bearing moments.

Last edited:
make these guys their utilitarian looking 16" steel wheel.

Well those are what $340 each? And 17”? And probably require spacers
How cheap do you realistically expect aftermarket wheels to be? I would definitely expect to pay $12-1500 for a set of anything quality. And without referencing every post, I think those are about the specs discussed, why would you need spacers (anyway, those are just an example, the same company also makes a set of 16" for 100s)?

How cheap do you realistically expect aftermarket wheels to be? I would definitely expect to pay $12-1500 for a set of anything quality. And without referencing every post, I think those are about the specs discussed, why would you need spacers (anyway, those are just an example, the same company also makes a set of 16" for 100s)?

Didn't mean to come off as a dick. I just mean't I'd prefer an alternative in 16" that doesn't require spacers and has a center cap. Maybe I'm too much of a miser, but I'm probably not going to spend half the purchase price of my car on wheels alone. Now if they were priced like the SCS wheels, thats very doable.

Didn't mean to come off as a dick. I just mean't I'd prefer an alternative in 16" that doesn't require spacers and has a center cap. Maybe I'm too much of a miser, but I'm probably not going to spend half the purchase price of my car on wheels alone. Now if they were priced like the SCS wheels, thats very doable.
Sorry if i sounded defensive, you weren't a dick! I actually am genuinely curious what people think is reasonable, as I typically run factory wheels on everything (but sometimes upgrade to better, later model factory wheels, in some cases) so I don't have a good perspective, they all seem sort of expensive to me! Those ones I linked shouldn't require a spacer, that would be crazy to pay $1400 and still need spacers! I have no affiliation to Evo wheels, i just know they fit, look good and are popular on different Toyota models, and feel that they are a suitable benchmark for the OP to compare to.

People spend a lot on TRD in 17” and run spacers. I couldn’t stomach it myself.
That's true, I guess people do have to use spacers to run center caps on the Rock Warriors etc... totally seems not worth it to me

Agreed. I like stock wheels and their sizes. Something a little cooler looking, which is obviously top priority, wouldn't be bad. I think the SCS wheels are fantastic but I like caps for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom