Steel wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there anyone in the US selling new steel wheels for the 100 series? Looking for 16", but could have arm twisted to go a bit bigger.

I'm looking at new tire options for a diesel 100 and bringing them in from the US appears to be the best deal. Place like tirerack are selling hideous drug dealer wheels in bigger and bigger sizes. Which isn't what we're looking for.

I've been through the vendor list, couldn't find anything good. A few 200 series wheels in the classifieds which could be good if we go 18's.

Hubs are the same 5x150mm used on the 200 series and looks like Tundra 2007+.

Somebody on here is running steelies. Can't remember who though.

Aside from the factory split rims, they did put 16x6.5 steel wheels over in your neck of the woods on the HZJ-105s in the early years. Later years you only had either the alloys or the split rim option depending on the trim option.

They are the standard 18-hole steel wheel, the original P/N should be 42601-60620, is probably superseded by now. Kinda narrow wheel though, limits the tire options:meh:

In the US, IIRC you pretty much have the 5-lug ‘07+ Tundra wheels that were 18”

IIRC, the PN above 42601-60620 is going to be an incorrect offset due to it being originally on a solid axle?

I could be wrong,

I would love a 16" steel wheel but with the correct offset and width.

I can add though that at my last local cruiser meet a member had some 255s on his stock 80-series 8" wide wheels. I commented I loved them, he says he can't wait to remove them as at low pressure they lose their bead easily... Like three or four times on one day! I never thought about that so indeed a narrow steel rim would be fantastic for a 16x7 wheel with the correct offset. 8" wide rims don't like a stretched 255.

What did the factory split rims come on, 105s?

IIRC, the PN above 42601-60620 is going to be an incorrect offset due to it being originally on a solid axle?

I could be wrong,

I would love a 16" steel wheel but with the correct offset and width.

I’ll have to look again, but I think that P/N was the same for F&R. The rear axles should be the same. Unsure on the ofset though:meh:

They did have the steel Type B and Type C wheels for the UZJ-100 overseas in 16x6.5JJ in Type B and 16x8JJ in Type C

I had a set of factory splits cut and re-wheeled to 16x7s by Stockton Wheel when I still had my Hundy. They never were totaly right. The guy I sold Penny to had Stockton re-senter them, but they never really balanced all that good.

Last edited:
Here was the 100 with the Stockton Franken wheels with the Split Rim centers in 16x7

100 small copy.jpg

Last edited:
Not a great photo, but the Tundra steel wheels fit fine. They are 18" though. The nice part is everyone here is unloading them for next to nothing...I've seen sets sell for $100.

IMG_0025.JPG

I've given up on my quest for steel wheels and just come to accept that OEM 16" alloys are the best for me. While I like the "look" of the steel wheels, they all either had size, weight, or cost issues (I'm really cheap...)

If I wasn't cheap, these would be the bomb.

JAOS Victron Tribe 16x6.5 Wheels

Last edited:
I've given up on my quest for steel wheels and just come to accept that OEM 16" alloys are the best for me. While I like the "look" of the steel wheels, they all either had size, weight, or cost issues (I'm really cheap...)

If I wasn't cheap, these would be the bomb.

JAOS Victron Tribe 16x6.5 Wheels

Whoa that JAOS is sweeet! I toyed around the idea of getting 5 steel wheels last year. I need to replace the tires as well, so I thought why not. But comparing 16" OEM vs 18" steel, the weight difference was pretty significant, plus the 18" tires are more expensive. I am like you... I am cheap too haha

First picture shows the 105 steel as I bought them (it was an bargain).
WP_20151205_11_14_54_Pro.jpg

Second picture I marked with red paint on the inside of the wheel where the original 16" alloy was(brake line connection) and on the outside(caliper) where the new 105 steels approximately sits, to estimate the difference in offset(not taking in consideration that alloys are wider 8J if I remember correctly).
WP_20151205_11_25_51_Pro.jpg

Sandblasted and painted them black.
WP_20151210_15_58_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20151210_15_59_21_Pro.jpg
I have to admit it was then the perfect fit, but as I still wanted wider vehicle I managed to destroy the steel wheels, and contact someone who and performed an operation called an "reverse wheel" in fact -first of all - it separates the wheel in two parts, and then it welds it back with the inner(wider) side on exterior...
WP_20161002_10_06_14_Pro.jpg

Then with the new wider (may call extreme) offset the tires (33") touch the front fenders as I was trying to turn then I have no other choice but to remove them from the vehicle.

Picked up a set of Tundra Steel rims for $220 shipped on ebay last month and couldn't be happier.
IMG_6689.JPG

Thanks for the info guys. Speaking of my neck of the woods, Australia got a bare-bones spec 200 series, but looking it up they are 17": Range & Specifications | LandCruiser 200 | Toyota Australia
I have only seen two 105 series in New Zealand and both belonging to Australian rental companies. We get quite different model spec to Australia for some reason.

hi!
i am fabio from italy and i have an hzj 105!
for me is difficult to write in english, but i try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom