Thinking about trading for a GX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll attempt to make this long-ish story as short as possible. I'm a car/motorcycle nut. I'm a Toyota nut. I'm a Land Cruiser nut. My 80 series is my hobby; my wife drives a Sienna; I drive a '08 Lexus GS 350 AWD.

For years, I've admired the GX 470 for its uniqueness, strong chops and well-appointed interior, to name a few reasons. Over the past few months, my interest has grown from only admiration to admiration plus realizing its potential practicality (admiration is still the driving factor). You see, I have a 4-year old and 6-month old twins. The minivan is the de rigueur crew hauler, and the 80 series can sub in a pinch. Emphasis on "in a pinch." The GS is cramped, as it is. A GX, while no minivan, would be a step up.

So, I share my newfound GX interest with a fellow gearhead who may or may not have a craigslist addiction. After several rejections--too many miles; wrong color; red flags--one ad barely catches my eye. Keep in mind: I'm not actively looking, and my car isn't listed for sale, nor is it ready (cleaning, oil change).

My friend sent a 2007 with 99k miles; platinum (not sure of the color name) exterior; gray interior and the following comments:

- near perfect condition
- all options, including sport suspension, nav with 2014 map, DVD player, lifetime XM, tow package and 3rd row seating
- all maintenance performed at Lexus dealer
- new water pump/timing belt
- newER brakes and tires
- best offer

So, the above intrigued me enough to invoke the Hail Mary: I emailed (only contact method available) asking if the seller is open to trades for my GS. The seller seems interested. We've exchanged a few emails about the details of my car, and that's it so far.

I'm posting this to get some opinions/info. I'm no stranger to buying/selling cars, but I am new to the GX. I've read about common issues.

- What might the seller be referring to with "sport suspension?" Adaptive Variable Suspension?
- Can anyone tell by the pics whether or not it has KDSS? It doesn't have smoked lenses or dark grey wood interior, so I'm guessing not.
- What is this thing worth, based on the limited info I've provided?
- Aside from the obvious, what questions should I ask?

I realize these are basic questions--questions I see a lot in the 80 series section--but any help is appreciated. I'm just trying to find out if this potential even trade is worth it. Both seem to book out at around $17k.

Thanks,
Matt
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432865883.149121.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432865893.953282.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432865902.472146.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432865911.043022.jpg

Last edited:
I looked quite a bit for a KDSS version before getting a GX470 without. I found many online posts (usually be $tealerships) that stated the car had the Sport Package with KDSS. It almost always did not, the sales-weasel just did a cut & paste of every possible option package into the car description. The black (dark grey) interior wood with the metal surrounds around the Nav system are the easiest way to check for the sport package when you're looking at someone's ad.

The best option is to look underneath the truck for the big hydraulic piston (you can search for pics of what it looks like under the truck--I kinda forget where I found them). That's an easy solution--it's either there and you have KDSS or it's not there at all and you have a standard truck.

Also, the adjustable suspension (where you can tune the shocks on the fly with four settings) are also called a 'Sport Suspension' by some. It's a bit misleading and potentially confusing, but there you are.

I found the Sport Package option to be quite rare and I'd imagine that a KDSS package on a non-sport GX would be rarer still. But I don't have hard numbers to support that.

It's irritating that the KDSS was a relatively small add-on price for an expensive truck and yet it seems to have been rarely asked for. Not much call for it at the mall I guess. ;)

I have to say that I am very happy with the handling of my GX 470 even without the KDSS. But I can empathize with the desire to have all the bells & whistles. The package adds only a few hundred dollars to the cost of a used vehicle, it's just tough to find one.

Hope that overly long answer helps. ;)

As others have said, only sure way to tell if it has KDSS is to look under the truck. It is possible this a non-Sport truck with an individual option for KDSS. However, looking at the truck, it does not appear to have the Sport package. While the smoked lenses are very subtle and might not be visible in a low-res photo, the interior is definitely wrong. It should have black bird's eye maple, not the standard wood color as is shown in those pics. And the center stack wood around the nav/radio is deleted in the Sport trucks and replaced with metallic-colored plastic.

I can tell you that KDSS definitely makes a difference, at least on-road (have not wheeled this truck, it is a kids car-pool mini-van substitute for now, so couldn't tell you how it works off-road). We stick the suspension in "Comfort" to maintain that Lexus ride, but the KDSS basically allows it to corner flat. I'm so glad I held out for ours!

I'm glad I held out for KDSS as well. I also really prefer the black wood. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but now I'm really happy with this choice.

It does not have KDSS. Unless I'm mistaken, KDSS was offered with the Sport package only and included the black/gray wood trim. If the wood trim is brown the truck is sans KDSS

...via IH8MUD app

It does not have KDSS. Unless I'm mistaken, KDSS was offered with the Sport package only and included the black/gray wood trim. If the wood trim is brown the truck is sans KDSS

...via IH8MUD app
KDSS was available as a standalone option, but I have yet to see a non-sport truck optioned with KDSS for sale.

Thanks, everyone. I've learned a lot about the GX470 over the past few days. Unfortunately, the seller is unresponsive. Fortunately, you helped me confirm it's a non KDSS truck (I guess there's a very remote chance it has it). Now I'm on the search for another!

I like the look of the 4runner wheels on that. Most LC Prado's came factory equipped with those and IMO look better than our factory GX470 wheels. Stylo07, Good luck with your search!

I like the look of the 4runner wheels on that. Most LC Prado's came factory equipped with those and IMO look better than our factory GX470 wheels. Stylo07, Good luck with your search!
Good eye. I knew something was different about those wheels, but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks!

If you like those sport wheels deals can often be found for a set on T4R.org. Was thinking of grabbing some myself.

its funny that a lot of you seam to have only found the KDSS on sport GXs... when i was looking it was the exact opposite. i found plenty of non sports with KDSS, infact most of the rigs i looked at had KDSS and were not sports. i kept looking, as i did not want the KDSS, to me its one more thing that can and will go wrong, not to mention that if you ever want to consider taking it off road or modding it at all ie a lift or sliders, you are gonna have to either remove it entirely or have stuff custom made(sliders). so for me it was easy to let that be something i was looking to not have. as i didnt want to pay for something that i was gonna be removing anyways.

me personally id stay away from the navigation. as its very limiting to aftermarket stereos -read, not gonna happen. as all of your HVAC controls are done through the nav unit and to my knowledge no aftermarket stereo has the software to interface with the HVAC. along with that the ML speakers are kinda specific in their hookups and power, also greatly limiting aftermarket support. so basically the stereo is what it is and if you ever blow a speaker, your stuck going to lexus to get a new one or take a gamble with a used one. and for me the final knife in the pig was the maps, while you might have a recent map update from 2014, its still a 2002/3 technology system, and it can only do so much, and there is simply no way to upgrade the software. your cell phone has a better navigation system than any GX470 has.

one other thing to look for is a cracked dash. its very common and lexus has started a service campaign to fix/resolve this. its a free replacement of the dash with a new dash from lexus(i guess using a new/different material). anyhow i just took mine in today as my dash just split while i was away at a military school. my lexus dealer took pics and documented it, and told me around july would be when the parts would be in to fix it. anyhow its a free service and it might be a bargaining chip for you if the other owner doesnt know about it and his dash is cracked -at the very least do not let it be a detouring factor for you if it is cracked. other issues are the front calipers tend to seize and warp the rotors. other than that i can think of no negatives about these trucks. i have owned mine sense christmas, and have put 10k mi on it in that time.

its funny that a lot of you seam to have only found the KDSS on sport GXs... when i was looking it was the exact opposite. i found plenty of non sports with KDSS, infact most of the rigs i looked at had KDSS and were not sports. i kept looking, as i did not want the KDSS, to me its one more thing that can and will go wrong, not to mention that if you ever want to consider taking it off road or modding it at all ie a lift or sliders, you are gonna have to either remove it entirely or have stuff custom made(sliders). so for me it was easy to let that be something i was looking to not have. as i didnt want to pay for something that i was gonna be removing anyways.

me personally id stay away from the navigation. as its very limiting to aftermarket stereos -read, not gonna happen. as all of your HVAC controls are done through the nav unit and to my knowledge no aftermarket stereo has the software to interface with the HVAC. along with that the ML speakers are kinda specific in their hookups and power, also greatly limiting aftermarket support. so basically the stereo is what it is and if you ever blow a speaker, your stuck going to lexus to get a new one or take a gamble with a used one. and for me the final knife in the pig was the maps, while you might have a recent map update from 2014, its still a 2002/3 technology system, and it can only do so much, and there is simply no way to upgrade the software. your cell phone has a better navigation system than any GX470 has.

one other thing to look for is a cracked dash. its very common and lexus has started a service campaign to fix/resolve this. its a free replacement of the dash with a new dash from lexus(i guess using a new/different material). anyhow i just took mine in today as my dash just split while i was away at a military school. my lexus dealer took pics and documented it, and told me around july would be when the parts would be in to fix it. anyhow its a free service and it might be a bargaining chip for you if the other owner doesnt know about it and his dash is cracked -at the very least do not let it be a detouring factor for you if it is cracked. other issues are the front calipers tend to seize and warp the rotors. other than that i can think of no negatives about these trucks. i have owned mine sense christmas, and have put 10k mi on it in that time.

If you ever want to consider off road, that's why you DO want KDSS. You gain inches of articulation that you will not have on a non-KDSS truck. To add sliders, you have to modify one bracket on a driver's side slider. You also don't have to touch KDSS for a lift.

Agreed. FWIW, I've seen reports of people ramping stock KDSS trucks in the mid-high 500s, while similar non-KDSS trucks were fully 100 points less in the same test on the same ramp. It's essentially like a sway bar disconnect in high articulation situations (though it doesn't actually "disconnect" of course). To each his own, though. For me and my use it was a no-brainer to get KDSS, others have different opinions and requirements.

I just dont run the front sway bar, not recommended for everyone, but I drove my FJ for 5 years without one, so I'm fine with it on the street, plus she flexes out great

Havent had a front sway in some time. Almost no difference.

Havent had a front sway in some time. Almost no difference.
My Tacoma had no front sway - I could absolutely tell...huge difference. Not really noticeable in most normal daily driving, but hit a corner at reasonable speed and it was easy to tell.

The no front sway bar in my FJ was more noticable than in the GX. The GX having AWD maybe makes that difference but you can still tell it has more body roll than stock, still its not that bad, the FJ was all over the place on the road

I have so much weight and modified so much on the suspension I dont think it matters for me anymore lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom