Thinking about buying 97' LX450...need advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Buying a 97' LX450...need advice!

I am buying a 97' LX450 with only 42K miles and in PERFECT showroom condition. Not a single scratch, dent, carpet stain, or anything. Absolutely perfect. I am buying it for 22K. Does this sound reasonable? What should I do if I buy it as far as mechanically? Also, how expensive to replace "softer" suspension with OME springs and coils? Thanks for any advice!

Paul - Ohio

Last edited:
Paul, thats sound pretty good. Go look in the FAQ or use the search feature, and you'll find your question is asked at least 100 times a day here. The answers are out there. Go buy and put the suspension on it.

paulphilly said:
I am looking to buy a 97' LX450 with only 42K miles and in PERFECT showroom condition. Not a single scratch, dent, carpet stain, or anything. Absolutely perfect. I have been offered to buy it for 22K. Does this sound reasonable?Paul - Ohio
First of all - Welcome :flipoff2: as you said above no scratch, etc.... also she is in PERFECT SHOWROOM condition why not ...22K is reasonable.
By the way got pic? or links to it? I need to see her :grinpimp:

Biff said:
Paul, thats sound pretty good. Go look in the FAQ or use the search feature, and you'll find your question is asked at least 100 times a day here. The answers are out there. Go buy and put the suspension on it.

Sorry Biff....I am a rookie and learning the ropes. I will try and utilize the search feature more as I am sure most of my questions are here somewhere. Thanks for the reply and appreciate the advice. I think its a pretty good deal. I will have pics as soon as I pic her up next week. THanks again.
Paul

LX_TREME said:
First of all - Welcome :flipoff2: as you said above no scratch, etc.... also she is in PERFECT SHOWROOM condition why not ...22K is reasonable.
By the way got pic? or links to it? I need to see her :grinpimp:
I hope to have pics next week or the week after as soon as I pic her up. Man, she is a beaut! Anyway, I have always wanted a cruiser/lx450 and am excited that I am finally getting one. PLENTY of mods to come. Thanks for the welcome and hope to meet alot of wonderful people here!
Paul

LX_TREME said:
Vic you up already? :rolleyes: ... its 6.00 am PST :D Well i got couple things to do this morning.

Its called having a 3 month old that :crybaby: and :crybaby: and :crybaby:. she likes being held so might as well be checking out mud while I hold her.

clarkrw3 said:
Yep, thats my new baby. Picking her up next week! Already paid for her and adopted her. I feel like 22K is a great deal considering the condition of the vehicle and the milage. Plus, the owner and I really hit if off. Very nice lady. Anyway, I am really excited and will probably instantly replace the coils and shocks with OME. Also, what do you know about the head gasket problems I have read about that is fairly common with these engines? What can I do to prevent this from happening? Does this problem coexist with the radiator coolant I have read about as well? Thanks
Paul

congrats on your purchase --

-- now to start chipping away at the running boards and body cladding --

-- check the rad fluid -- if it's red, your good -- it should be -- if it's green, search on it --

-- flush the system annually to keep things tip top -- check the faq area --

:D

e

erics_bruisers said:
congrats on your purchase --

-- now to start chipping away at the running boards and body cladding --

-- check the rad fluid -- if it's red, your good -- it should be -- if it's green, search on it --

-- flush the system annually to keep things tip top -- check the faq area --

:D

e

Eric--first, thanks for the post. I am really glad you mentioned the running boards and cladding. How easy is it to remove these or modify them? Does the cladding leave holes in the doors if taken off? I agree that the vehicle would look better without this gocky cladding, but I dont want holes in the sides and would still like some kind of fender flares to help out with rocks and mud. What do you think? And, what do you think about replacing the front and rear bumpers?
Paul

Another ih8muder in Ohio :) Where at in Ohio?

Nice truck, does it have lockers? ALso, I noticed the Alaska plates on it, but its selling out of Nevada? They just move there or?
-Gary ---- Dayton,OH

Last edited:
I have a 97 LX450. The running boards come off easy and then you can put some sliders on it. I left the cladding. Having a built rig with the Lexus cladding gets lots of looks. It also is the first thing to get scratched when your wheeling around trees. I have a spray can of paint that matches the cladding and just gave it a quick touch up and its not noticible. That would not be the case on metal. If it helps, here is the order I did things:

First I baselined all the fluids and did an exchange with the Tranny (not a flush).

1) 285 BFG AT Tires
2) OME 2.5" Med Lift and suspension
3) Slee Step Sliders and Skid Plate
4) ARB Front Bumper
5) PIAA lights

Welcome
Next Rear Bumper

gbell210 said:
Another ih8muder in Ohio :) Where are in Ohio?

Nice truck, does it have lockers? ALso, I noticed the Alaska plates on it, but its selling out of Nevada? They just move there or?
-Gary ---- Dayton,OH

Gary, actually she and her husband did just move there from Alaska. She had the vehicle shipped to Nevada so that no miles would be added. Apparently, they are doing pretty well as she also just bought a 65K Lexus car and has 2 Mercedez in her possession as well. As far as the lockers, I am not sure and really didnt ask her. I guess I should have, but will find out when I pick it up. Is having lockers really important? And, if it doesnt have it, how hard to add lockers? I am not exactly up to date as far as locker terminology and would love an explanation as to how important it is to have this option. Thanks
Paul

Romer said:
I have a 97 LX450. The running boards come off easy and then you can put some sliders on it. I left the cladding. Having a built rig with the Lexus cladding gets lots of looks. It also is the first thing to get scratched when your wheeling around trees. I have a spray can of paint that matches the cladding and just gave it a quick touch up and its not noticible. That would not be the case on metal. If it helps, here is the order I did things:

First I baselined all the fluids and did an exchange with the Tranny (not a flush).

1) 285 BFG AT Tires
2) OME 2.5" Med Lift and suspension
3) Slee Step Sliders and Skid Plate
4) ARB Front Bumper
5) PIAA lights

Welcome
Next Rear Bumper

Ken, interesting information. I am curious as to what you mean by you did a tranny exchange? Did you actually replace the stock tranny? And, baselining all the fluids I assume is to drain and refill all the diffs, tranny fluid, radiator, etc...? Finally, how does the rig look without the running boards? I really dont need them and am sure I will take them off. But, with the huge fender flares that match, I just wonder how it will look. Also, should I add the stock OME suspension asap that gives about 1/2" lift. Or, should I go for the 2 1/2" OME lift immediately and get some 33" tires on this baby. Again, its only got 42,400 miles and is in showroom condition. So, I am a little hesitant to do alot of things just yet, but man, a truly decked out 450 with snorkel and the "ready to go offroad anywhere" look is appealing to say the least. Let me know what you think.
Paul

What they do is use the tranny pump to replace and circulate the fluid. If you drain it you will actually only get about 20% of it and you have to do this several time to swap the fluid. The other method is a flush. That uses an extranl pump and at higher pressure. This could lodge particles where you don't want them. The mechanic I used had a setup that pumped in new fluid while the old fluid was being drained and while the tranny pump itself was operating.

I went for the 2.5 " lift. I personnaly don't like snorkles or really have the need for one in colorado.

Here is what mine looks like. The Slee Step Sliders are "Family Friendly" as they function also as a step
Moab 217.jpg
LX450.jpg

Romer said:
What they do is use the tranny pump to replace and circulate the fluid. If you drain it you will actually only get about 20% of it and you have to do this several time to swap the fluid. The other method is a flush. That uses an extranl pump and at higher pressure. This could lodge particles where you don't want them. The mechanic I used had a setup that pumped in new fluid while the old fluid was being drained and while the tranny pump itself was operating.

I went for the 2.5 " lift. I personnaly don't like snorkles or really have the need for one in colorado.

Here is what mine looks like. The Slee Step Sliders are "Family Friendly" as they function also as a step

Ken, I will surely have my transmission done the same way--great idea! A couple of more questions. First, when/if I remove the running boards, will the bottom of the fender flares have a gap or be cupped in some way where the running boards fit into the flares flush? I guess I am a little concerned about the aesthetic value here when removing the running boards. Second, I just found out that my 450 does not have front/rear lockers. Do I really need them? And, how much to add a set if I see fit that I do need them? THanks so much. I just dont understand completely how the 450 already has full time 4wheel drive but has front and rear lockers as an additional option.
Paul

Paul- that's a great find and it is a deal if you ask me- very tough to find one with such low miles these days. Definitely baseline all the fluids first thing. Another thing to check on a vehicle with such low miles: make sure the radiator is not clogged and that your cooling system in functioning properly. Congrats!!

txkndu said:

OK..since my 450 doesnt come with factory lockers, it only utilizes the center diff lock. But, when in 4Hi, it only sends torque to the wheels that detect slippage correct? Or am I bumfuddled. And, 4Lo is to only decrease gearing but still has the same theoretical use as 4Hi but at a much slower gearing (for creeping and such) right? So, am I correct to assume that 4Hi, which comes standard on all 450's, is in all tense and purposes not "true" 4 wheel drive? And, how much will it cost me to install front and rear lockers if I see fit? Sorry, but I am new to the cruiser world and all of this front, center, and rear locker talk has got me confused. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom