They only go out at night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I know its a design flaw in FJ40s that at night when you come to a stop at an intersection that the lights will dim, but now when I came to a stop, the lights got really dim and the blinker actually froze (stopped blinking), the tape player stoped. When I pulled the choke out a little to increase the RPMs, the blinker started blinking, the tape player played and the lights got brighter. It does the same thing with the radio/tape powered off (Blinker stops)

Obviously the alternator is working, but is this a sign it's going bad? It started this last night.

Ken

I would call faulty regulator...

Perfect excuse, as if you need on, to ditch that thing, and install a high-output Delco unit.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Steve is there a particular method for finding the right delco part number that would work in my 77? Any wiring mods required?

Thanks

IT might just be your alternator brushes are wearing, too. What's wrong with just replacing the old regulator with a Toyota, Steve? OR do you mean replacing his alternator? You weren't clear, but that is what I actually think you meant.

I have the same problem, and was told to check for faulty/corroded grounds.

I am interested in the "high output Delco" option as well, and further info?

I know this will sound stupid...............but make sure your belt is tight(but not too tight)

as well as the above idea's, it might be a batt thats not holding a charge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom