Builds Thed's Mod Journal ('22 GX460) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like those Victory Stealth bumpers. Very clean and compact. Looks to improve the approach angle quite a bit. Did you get some kind of protection for the headlamp washer bottle?
The underside of the bumper is completely protected, so I didn't see the need for any type of protection.

Every once in a while I'll get very minor rubbing on the fender liner right where that bottle is. It's minor and you can barely hear it, but it happens at full left lock. Personally, I hate the headlight washers and kind of want to just get rid of them.

And for those wondering about fuel economy, city traffic can make it pretty bad. Like 12 MPG bad. However my normal commute is around 16 MPG. I was able to hit 20 MPG on the highway when I went from Raleigh to Baltimore and back a few weeks ago.

All in all, the fuel economy penalty really isn't that bad as it sits. My best friend has a '21 4Runner that can barely manage 17 MPG when he drives to and from Maryland. He put the same lift on as I did and went straight to 33's. I guess that that should be pretty indicative that 32's were the right choice for me.

Reactions: r2m
I really like those Victory Stealth bumpers. Very clean and compact. Looks to improve the approach angle quite a bit. Did you get some kind of protection for the headlamp washer bottle?
Don't need it with the Blitz bumper. It adds a lot of approach angle but doesn't expose the fluid reservoir like the true "high clearance" bumpers do.

This one in combo form.

Now that I've seen it actually work, damn. This thing slaps.

View attachment 3041103
Thanks!. What did you do for mounting adapters? Or is the space on the Blitz meant for an 18" light? My Victory is spaced for a 20" bar, and I can't find a 20" Diode Dynamics one.

Thanks!. What did you do for mounting adapters? Or is the space on the Blitz meant for an 18" light? My Victory is spaced for a 20" bar, and I can't find a 20" Diode Dynamics one.
I took the brackets that DD supplied and cut them up, bent them, and painted them black. They looked jank AF when I was holding them in my hands but they look passable installed. It's enough to keep the light bar centered and securely mounted.

The underside of the bumper is completely protected, so I didn't see the need for any type of protection.

Every once in a while I'll get very minor rubbing on the fender liner right where that bottle is. It's minor and you can barely hear it, but it happens at full left lock. Personally, I hate the headlight washers and kind of want to just get rid of them.
Most of the bumpers don't provide headlight washers, or will be a low enough cut that the factory washers are still available. But you can always disable them and use the washer button in the cab for an aux light switch, compressor, or whatever.
Personally, I wish I was able to keep my headlight washers for when I'm up in Tahoe during the winter. The front end (and lights) get pretty mucked up sometimes.

The clear choice here is to replace the headlight washer with some sort of LED pod while retaining the little pop-out arms that actuate when you use them.

The clear choice here is to replace the headlight washer with some sort of LED pod while retaining the little pop-out arms that actuate when you use them.
Lol... That'd actually be pretty slick. But don't the washers pop up using pressure from the washer pump?

Most of the bumpers don't provide headlight washers, or will be a low enough cut that the factory washers are still available. But you can always disable them and use the washer button in the cab for an aux light switch, compressor, or whatever.
Personally, I wish I was able to keep my headlight washers for when I'm up in Tahoe during the winter. The front end (and lights) get pretty mucked up sometimes.
It really was the only option on this car that I bought that I didn't want. But I don't want to go through the process of having a new bumper painted to match (which is really hard with dark metallic colors) and cutting it up again.

I read your entire build thread tonight, lol. Love the look of you truck. Your hard work has paid off. How have you liked your Falkins and what size are they? 265/70/18s? Thinking of going with those exact tires and a Dobinson 2.5 lift. Did you say your lift was 2?

I read your entire build thread tonight, lol. Love the look of you truck. Your hard work has paid off. How have you liked your Falkins and what size are they? 265/70/18s? Thinking of going with those exact tires and a Dobinson 2.5 lift. Did you say your lift was 2?
275/65R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3WA. I went with the Dobs 2" lift since I really didn't feel like doing UCAs. The alignment just barely got in the green, so good move there IMO.

Just be sure that you read my thing on page two. These are NOT the AT3Ws that everyone and their mothers run. They're very different.

275/65R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3WA. I went with the Dobs 2" lift since I really didn't feel like doing UCAs. The alignment just barely got in the green, so good move there IMO.

Just be sure that you read my thing on page two. These are NOT the AT3Ws that everyone and their mothers run. They're very different.
I read that but it seems like you liked the WA's A little less aggressive maybe? Mine will mainly be a daily driver so I thought those might be perfect fit.

I read that but it seems like you liked the WA's A little less aggressive maybe? Mine will mainly be a daily driver so I thought those might be perfect fit.
The road manners are definitely an improvement over the non-A Wildpeaks. Just a ride in my friend's 4Runner with the same lift could tell me that. They're definitely solid on-road and I haven't had an issue with them in the sand. However I have yet to take this thing to the mountains due to my extremely limited free time this summer.

As far as fitting a spare, I haven't tried. If it does fit it'll be tight.

The road manners are definitely an improvement over the non-A Wildpeaks. Just a ride in my friend's 4Runner with the same lift could tell me that. They're definitely solid on-road and I haven't had an issue with them in the sand. However I have yet to take this thing to the mountains due to my extremely limited free time this summer.

As far as fitting a spare, I haven't tried. If it does fit it'll be tight.

I think the dealer did you a favor on those tires. My last set of "A" Falcon Wildpeaks were horrible. I had the E rated ones and ended up changing out tie rod ends and hubs due to the weight of the tire wearing them out prematurely. Yours look to be a great compromise for daily driver and traction. I'm rolling on Michelin Defenders now. I can go just about anywhere (short of rock crawling) and they air down to 15PSI no issues.

The only thing I can caution you are the sidewalls. The Defenders and non "A" falcons are susceptible to sidewall punctures. Durability and light weight don't go hand in hand. Since you are using this as a daily driver I think it was the smart choice on rubber.

BTW I really like your build. It's not my kind of build but very nice for what you want. IMHO, you did right buy purchasing new. I commend you for being able to do it and make the rig just how you like it.

I feel bad that these public forums become toxic with members crapping on your build. I might throw it out there that we all have an opinion on what works for us or make suggestions. But who am I to put down what you have worked hard to make your own.

I had to google what an AT3WA was haha. I guess Falken gets enough OEM orders that they can run so many similar but slightly different molds.

Made this quickly for those who didn't know:

tires.jpg

Ok, so I'm not trying to bash another dudes rig but this guy has the exact setup as you if I'm not mistaken. Besides yours being a 22
post #1162
why does yours look so much better? His tires look like they took up the entire lift. I mean is it where the pics are taken from? The pics of yours when you put your lift on are sic. Im confused. I don't want to lift it and the tires be the only thing you see.

Ok, so I'm not trying to bash another dudes rig but this guy has the exact setup as you if I'm not mistaken. Besides yours being a 22
post #1162
why does yours look so much better? His tires look like they took up the entire lift. I mean is it where the pics are taken from? The pics of yours when you put your lift on are sic. Im confused. I don't want to lift it and the tires be the only thing you see.
That's roughly what mine looked like before I did the bumper and sliders. Cutting six inches of plastic off the bottom of the car does a lot for clearance, and that includes visually. 32's are pretty mundane, especially when you park them next to a 4Runner with 33's. But I get two better MPG and don't rub nearly as bad.

That's roughly what mine looked like before I did the bumper and sliders. Cutting six inches of plastic off the bottom of the car does a lot for clearance, and that includes visually. 32's are pretty mundane, especially when you park them next to a 4Runner with 33's. But I get two better MPG and don't rub nearly as bad.

chopping up the bumpers makes a huge difference for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom