The Wine Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry I missed a few details.....Shiraz is a different grape than cabernet but it is the most widely produced red grape in AU.

People sometimes refer to shiraz here as the "Aussie cab" (even though shiraz/cab blends are typical) and I think it has led to confusion on both sides of the Pacific.

I suspect people started to think shiraz is an Australian term for cabernet.

Moretti beer ain't so good. i used to sell it back in the day. Tough to choke down.
I drank Heineken when I was in Italy on business, it's the Budweiser of Europe, but it beat anything the Italians brewed. I'm a beer guy but I was introduced to Barberas on that trip and I like them. The barberas rosas are really good, I've never seen any of them in the US. Actually IIRC only had them at private homes over there. :confused:

You mean the color comes from the tannins in the skin, right. :popcorn:

Sort of. The skins contain the pigment. When you buy red grapes at the supermarket, cut one open and all the juice is completely clear. Once the juice is steeped in the grape skins for a few days they take on the color.

Tannins are a molecular type chain that look like a series of connected hooks under a microscope. The hooks are what gives you mouth that dry feeling. To check a tannin level in a wine, swish it around in your mouth. Pull your top lip up a bit to expose your front teeth. If your upper lip sticks a little to your top gums then there are tannins present. If it slides right off then there aren't much tannins present.

Tannins don't necessarily dictate the quality of a wine.

I drank Heineken when I was in Italy on business, it's the Budweiser of Europe, but it beat anything the Italians brewed. I'm a beer guy but I was introduced to Barberas on that trip and I like them. The barberas rosas are really good, I've never seen any of them in the US. Actually IIRC only had them at private homes over there. :confused:

heineken tastes 10X better in Europe than in the US. I wouldn't drink it here ever. tastes great in europe. Think it skunks on the boat-ride over the pond

Im new to wine. I REALLY like Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon but don't care for Red Truck or some of the other 'reasonably priced' Cabernet wines that I've tried as much as the Lindemans (feel like a traitor for dis'ing a wine from my home state).
What other Cabernet Sauvignons would you recommend I try? 'reasonably priced' & better.

For a nice $12 zin, I like Rancho Zabaco's 2004 Sonoma Heritage Vines.

Tell me about the one you think might work?

I have seen some California wines in Melbourne along with French and Italian wines. I think that California can certainly compete on quality with Cabs, Zinfandel and Pinot, but they would have a hard time competing with Aussie Shiraz, which can be goth good and relatively cheap. The GST in Oz isn't going to help sell California wine

Hey Jsalt. Do you know a guy named Rudy from Hull? He works at Mass General in Charlestown and is a big time wine buyer/speculator/consumer in bean town.

Two Questions:

Malbec - I've spent some time in Argentina and love the Malbec there. It is almost as cheap as water. However, I can't find good ones in the US. Is it because the varietal is not well known?

Corks - Is the stigma regarding screw-tops disappearing? I have heard it is really just snobbery that prevents the screw-top from gaining poulaity.[/I]

Your thoughts/suggestions on the following:

Organic wines (I've liked Bonterra, among others)

Sulfites

Other Chilean wines/labels.

Great idea for a thread.

:cheers:

I am heading to Paris next year any red wines you would recommend picking up while I am over there that I can't find here?

What are your thoughts Gigondas wines?

Setting up my wood stove now. I'll come back this afternoon with answers.

The tannins are the color. More tannins the darker the color and vise-versa.

Wikipedia:

Wine

A glass of red wine

Tannins (mainly condensed tannins) are also found in wine, particularly red wine. Tannins in wine can come from many sources and the tactile properties differ depending on the source. Tannins in grape skins and seeds (the latter being especially harsh) tend to be more noticeable in red wines, which are fermented while in contact with the skins and seeds. Tannins extracted from grapes are condensed tannins, which are polymers of procyanidin monomers. Hydrolysable tannins are extracted from the oak wood the wine is aged in. Hydrolysable tannins are more easily oxidised than condensed tannins.
Modern winemakers take great care to minimize undesirable tannins from seeds by crushing grapes gently to extract their juice. Pressing the grapes results in press wine which is more tannic and might be kept separately. Wines can also take on tannins if matured in oak or wood casks with a high tannin content. Tannins play an important role in preventing oxidation in aging wine and appear to polymerize and make up a major portion of the sediment in wine.

You can have a red wine with no almost tannins. We are both half-right.

Im new to wine. I REALLY like Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon but don't care for Red Truck or some of the other 'reasonably priced' Cabernet wines that I've tried as much as the Lindemans (feel like a traitor for dis'ing a wine from my home state).
What other Cabernet Sauvignons would you recommend I try? 'reasonably priced' & better.

Not very well versed on specific CA cabernets. I see thousands of different types but I'm a spanish/ chilean importer so I rarely buy CA cabernet. Go to your local shop and have them grab you some. As I mentioned I think Villa Mt Eden is the best deal out there....

Now this is a thread I can follow! What is your suggested method and duration for decanting bottles of red (especially young reds?)

Most wines do not need decanting. It's still fine to do it but unless you're buying a heavy, tannic italian red or a way expensive CA red then you usually don't need much. Wine needs to breathe a bit so open the bottle 20 minutes before you drink it and it should be fine.

Another trick for less expensive bottles is if you taste it and there doesn't seem to be much to it, put the cork back in and give it a good shake. Then try it again. I don't recommend this for aged wines with sediment on the bottom. This gets the molecules bumping into each other and livens up the bottle a bit. Try it sometime!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom