The White Ghost gets a second chance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great 5.3i build up guys! I would love a report on the gas mileage cruising at a steady 70mph.

BTW- stock GM LSx wires are good for well over 650hp ;)

For the guy wanting to do a mid 90's ZR-1 engine conversion.... waste of effort IMO. They are more complex (4 valves per cyl), their parts are rare... meaning GM doesn't carry cranks/blocks etc anymore, they are wider than LSx series engine, and would cost much much more from beginning to end. They were built to rev.... whereas the truck 5.3/6.0 is built to make gobs of low end torque and carry it across the board. Get a 6.0/NV4500 combo from a dismantler as they were available in GM trucks in this form from the factory. car-part.com is a good place to start.

BTW- You can install a used '02 Z06 cam into the 5.3 ($100 in parts), mid/long tube headers, underdrive harmonic balancer $180, ported stock TB $60, some ported 5.3 heads ($1200 from Texas Speed and Performance) and get over 400hp easily with perfect stock idle and great driving manners. PCM retune mailorder is about $200 and with these minor mods would be just about all you need. I made 505flywheel hp on an LS1 with ported heads, larger 233/239 .600" cam, ported stock TB, LS6 intake, and UD pulley. Knocked down mid 20's mpg on the highway (T56 6speed with 3:90's) and went 20K miles without any issues except normal fluid changes.

If you want more power... how about the Synergy Motorsports twin turbo LSx kit for trucks: Synergy Twin Turbo Truck kit.... - LS1TECH

The turd only makes 545rwhp/575rwtq on 91 octane/12psi thru a 4L80E and 2500 series driveline AWD :). On 18psi (91/methanol injection) it made 717rwhp/715rwtq. This is with a stock 5.3 block/crank, forged rods, forged pistons, stock unported 6.0 heads, 60# injectors, Bosch 420 fuel pump, and the twin turbo kit. Stock 5.3i engines are good to about 500rwhp... beyond that the stock ring lands on the pistons begin to fail.

Great another idea to kick aroound in my brain. THANKS!! Now I just need a couple more trucks to get it all on the street. Great info and thanks for following the build.:bounce:

BTW I did the RX-7 350/400/tubbed about 12 years ago. Fun project just had a hard time keeping it hooked up!!

WOw, I just read 13 pages of this thread! Great job and great write up, might have to drop into the 60 section more.

Sweet ride :bounce:

WOw, I just read 13 pages of this thread! Great job and great write up, might have to drop into the 60 section more.

You should us 60 guy's aren't that bad! And we like our play toys. Thanks for reading the thread and enjoy the next one!:D Oh and Puddlejumper gets a new ride is a 40 BTW.

Bad Lifters

Well after a trip to Austin and a couple hours of Luis trying to get oil pressure I found the problem. Seized lifters. Probably happened when the oil pump went out on the way down there. Well let's see how good my warranty is. Anyway's I am going to get a new set in the morning and off it goes. Maybe a mid week pickup if all goes well. Aside from that the engine looks super clean!
eng1.JPG
eng2.JPG
cyl1.JPG

That's a cool pic !!!!

Hey Randy....can you post a pic of the installed front drive shaft....I dont know if it makes any difference but I think I have it backwards... thanks brah..!!

Been driving the Ghost and other than an intermittent high idle, it is running good -- Thanks Randy!! I am getting the AC hoses made at this time cause it is hot today here in Austin.

I will get you the part # for the brake switch and that should have you fixed up. Glad to hear you are enjoying it finally. Are you going to Austin Rebuilders? They do th best work. Drive safe and I am glad I could make it right for you. BTW MMW68 seen you coming up on him in traffic. Said'"That was one sweet looking bumper sticker in the rear window!" :D

Yes, Austin Rebuilders is doing the AC hose work. I saw a super nice & clean blue two-tone ahead of me an it was Mark. Got to wave at each other... Not sure if he noticed the ear-to-ear grin...

Not sure if he noticed the ear-to-ear grin...

Yes...the sunlight off your teeth was blinding! :D:D:D I wasn't sure you knew who I was. I was in Michelle's truck. I had just been to Austin Re builders picking up a rebuldt A/C compressor for her truck. Then I took it over the "Mr Freeze" my A/C guy. I now have 45 degree cold air blowing!! If you need a good inexpensive A/C guy in Austin - David "Mr. Freeze" is you man!

I had the entire A/C system flushed, vacuumed, charged, and a new compressor installed for $200 plus parts. I spend another $300 on the compressor, dryer, and misc o-rings and parts.

I told him to expect a call from you.. ;)

This is an old post, i know, but if youre running an electric fan, why keep the mech fan?
Did you NEED to run that FPR? If so, why?
The engine placement and the clearance with the exhaust manifold...What would you have to do if you were going to be running the auto tranny?
I hope all this stuff makes more sense when I GET INTO my swap. Reading these threads is pretty intimidating.
You do SUCH an AMAZING job Randy!
Very impressive.
I can say right off that mine WILL NOT be that clean. Ill just be happy if it runs right when I get through!

Chicago

I like the dual fan because I can wire the electric to a toggle and shut it off when I don't need it and as for the mechanical it seems to work better than an electrical fan when submerged. :D

I run an FPR so I can have a return line. This year of Vortec was returnless so I needed a return to dump off excess fuel. Otherwise the Fuel pump will overload the system and cause an injection fault and FP code. And the gauge is handy when trouble shooting.

Assemble the unit as a whole. Look at the Gwest build and it will give you an approx. location. Remember each build is a little different so it is not a cut and paste kind of thing.

After watching your build up on the qtr trim and spring over...I think you will do just fine!!!!! Look forward to seeing the build up. :beer:

I like the dual fan because I can wire the electric to a toggle and shut it off when I don't need it and as for the mechanical it seems to work better than an electrical fan when submerged. :D

I run an FPR so I can have a return line. This year of Vortec was returnless so I needed a return to dump off excess fuel. Otherwise the Fuel pump will overload the system and cause an injection fault and FP code. And the gauge is handy when trouble shooting.

Assemble the unit as a whole. Look at the Gwest build and it will give you an approx. location. Remember each build is a little different so it is not a cut and paste kind of thing.

After watching your build up on the qtr trim and spring over...I think you will do just fine!!!!! Look forward to seeing the build up. :beer:

Just sent you a PM...
So it CAN be run without the mech. fan, correct? Not that I know any better, but isnt the mech fan set sort of far back for it to be 100% effective. I like the elec. fan idea for the freedom of placement it offers, and I was planning on running a back up switch, so if the temp sensor fails (It seems this CAN be a problem) Ill be able to control it manually.
Would I NEED the FPR? If so, how much was that unit?
Thanks for the vote of confidence...I wish I could feel that way about my skills right now.:D This is a daunting task Ive set for myself.
I DO LOVE how much can be eliminated from that engine bay/ fire wall. That is BITCHIN!

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom