The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't looked in a while, but Walmart usually has them. If you're doing containers, bigger is better. Small containers dry out quickly and don't control soil temps as well.
I run a tube from my drip system into the pots through a drain hole, easy peasy to keep almost any size pot watered.

I run a tube from my drip system into the pots through a drain hole, easy peasy to keep almost any size pot watered.

It won't work down here unless it's a really shallow pot. Top down watering is the only way to keep anything alive in the summer.

I haven't had the time to do anything with these yet, but warn out tractor/trailer drums. I figure they got the look, last forever and have room for the roots to seek the moisture and nutrients that pass through. Usually free if you know someone in the service industry.

101_1280.jpg

101_1281.jpg

It won't work down here unless it's a really shallow pot. Top down watering is the only way to keep anything alive in the summer.
I run the tube to the top of the pot, routing it through the drain just hides it.

I haven't had the time to do anything with these yet, but warn out tractor/trailer drums. I figure they got the look, last forever and have room for the roots to seek the moisture and nutrients that pass through. Usually free if you know someone in the service industry.
One of those would make a nice forge.

Watermelon Gazpacho

I may have posted this before but here it is again just in case.

Perfect to put those summer veggies and watermelon to super tasty use.

This recipe is from Tyler Florence and has proven a consistent staple at our house and dinner parties for the last few years. its crazy good and you or your dinner guests will be hard pressed to identify the ingredients by taste...including the watermelon! The :princess: doesn't like watermelon...but you'd never know that watching her ladle this gazpacho down :D

I generally double the recipe...its too darn good not to!

Watermelon Gazpacho, courtesy of Tyler Florence

1 large tomato, cut into large chunks (use seeds & juice)
1/2 serrano chile, chopped
2 cups fresh watermelon: 1C large chunks; and 1C small chunk/diced reserved
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced red onion (any sweet onion works)
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, plus more for garnish
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

In a blender, puree the tomatoes, chile, 1/2 of the watermelon (1C large chunks). Pour in the red wine vinegar and olive oil and pulse to combine. Add the onion, cucumber and dill and season with salt & pepper. Puree until smooth. Pour into chilled bowls and sprinkle with dill, feta and remaining watermelon. Serve.

Try not to like this!

White irrigation PVC is ok--just rattle can it to protect-= grey or some such.
Gary
I've been researching hoop cold frames, I agree quick easy and inexpensive. I'm going to check out electrical PVC, it may be more UV resistant than the white irrigation stuff.

Nice! Where do you live?

fruit fly little stinking bastids.

:mad: Nonstop battle this time of year. Because we cool with a swamp box the windows need to be cracked open and the sob's crawl through the screens. Cant even relax with a book or post online without one of the little ****ers in your face.:bang:

Rant over..

Upducts are your friends.:meh:

Wow, only four days since I pealed and planted the garlic.:cool:

101_1295.jpg

101_1295.jpg

Just put mine in yesterday, along with onions, snow peas and maters. Should start seeing some green in a few days.

Night temps are dropping into the 40's here green bean production has fallen off. The tomatoes never happened this year, temps went from way to cold to set fruit to way to hot to set fruit in one day. Eventually the plants set fruit but I doubt it will ripen in time to avoid frost.:frown:

Time for fried green tomatoes.:cool:

They are also good sliced up and sprinkled with Monterey Jack cheese. Nuke them just long enough to start the cheese melting.

eh, did anybody plant mint in their raised beds? any trouble with the thing spreading too much and invading the rest of the bed?

Yes. I planted a sprig two years ago when I built my beds. I just rip some out every time I walk by. The side of my house where I throw garden waste until I have enough to trash is full of mint!

I planted some garlic last winter for the first time. Anxious to see how that works.

Threw these together with some glass doors I had and a few cedar fence boards.

ForumRunner_20140205_204347.jpg

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

ForumRunner_20140205_204347.jpg

Please explain your plans for these.

I'm going to have to start reading this thread from the beginning for ideas; I'm going to do herbs in boxes on the deck this year but I think we've got too many animals around to do a garden without a massive fence/containment expense.

--john

Please explain your plans for these.

I'm going to have to start reading this thread from the beginning for ideas; I'm going to do herbs in boxes on the deck this year but I think we've got too many animals around to do a garden without a massive fence/containment expense.

--john

We fed a lot of deer this year :mad:. What finally did the best was the netting I put all around every raised bed. I tried putting blood meal around at the suggestion of a coworker. Actually kept them out of the nasturtiums for a while. They ate the potatoes to the ground and the strawberries off of the deck, the geraniums off of the front porch and then disappeared just before bow season :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom