The Vegtable Garden Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have a mower with a bagger, cut the lawns of the old lady/s in your neighborhood. Grass is excellent for composting. Once you get started you'll have a never ending supply of compost. Just keep amending your property with the compost.
You need to look at the ratio of "green" vs "brown" when composting. To much green and the nitrogen level gets to high for the little beasties to do their job.

Green Versus Brown Compost Materials | Go Organic - Organic Gardening and Garden Tips

ah! the radishes are poking their heads out already. Dang, only 4 days since we put the seeds in. Not bad! Maybe this is super compost indeed... Only took 10 years to make it... :)

ah! the radishes are poking their heads out already. Dang, only 4 days since we put the seeds in. Not bad! Maybe this is super compost indeed... Only took 10 years to make it... :)

I've never grown radishes before. Are there ways to grow them so they turn out more or less pungent? I like it when they bite back, and it's harder to find punchy radishes in the grocery.

I've never grown radishes before. Are there ways to grow them so they turn out more or less pungent? I like it when they bite back, and it's harder to find punchy radishes in the grocery.

I'm no expert, honestly. Just went to the local hardware store (OSH) and looked for seeds. They had like 3 species, one was a red and white that was said to be sharper, which is what I got.

On a different note, what do you guys do to make horse manure suitable for soil amendment? Need to water the pile to get things going? How long does it take?

Last edited:
Okay people where are some pictures of your garden?

This is mine when I first built it. It's the 3 beds in the back.

dsc01227n.jpg

Worked great until we had kids and forgot about the yard. This year is different. But now all the bushes and trees have grown up and have blocked the sun from the beds so I did this this weekend.

attachmentwa.jpg

Last edited:
There a a ton of varieties other than the ones you get in the store, try a few. I forget the variety we planted but they were sweet and mild with a slight peppery flavor as long as we harvested them when they were smaller than 1" - 1.5".

You will also find that they tend to be milder when you eat them the same day they are harvested instead of after a few weeks on trucks and in cold storage. One of the advantages of having a garden is eating truly fresh vegetables.

that is going to be a lot of potatoes... do you give them away to friends? I have been experimenting with growing onions; I have some growing in used coffee grounds, tea leaves, and watered down pee.

Wait, what? :confused:

eh, did anybody plant mint in their raised beds? any trouble with the thing spreading too much and invading the rest of the bed?

that is going to be a lot of potatoes... do you give them away to friends? I have been experimenting with growing onions; I have some growing in used coffee grounds, tea leaves, and watered down pee.

Yeah, I planted about 75 pounds of seed this year. We do give away lots of new potatoes to friends. We've had pretty good success storing the rest through the winter. We love potatoes! The two rows coming up in the picture are Yukon gold that we had left over from last season. There are five rows of Kennebec that are just starting to show.

eh, did anybody plant mint in their raised beds? any trouble with the thing spreading too much and invading the rest of the bed?
Once planted you will have mint forever, it's not that hard to keep in check but impossible to get rid of.

Also beware of horseradish, nearly impossible to get rid of.

Once planted you will have mint forever, it's not that hard to keep in check but impossible to get rid of.

Also beware of horseradish, nearly impossible to get rid of.

oh, oh...
should I replant the mint in a pot instead? It's actually in a retaining wall block at the edge of the bed, but could fairly easily rhizome out to the rest I think. Growing very fast already.

all right, got it out and put it in pots instead. Thanks for the heads-up.

Here is a picture of our raise beds under construction

This is what we started with taken right afte we finished landscaping that area, it had some shrubs in it by the time we started the veggie garden.
Dscn1760.jpg

I bumped the fence out 8'

DSCN2670.jpg

DSCN2677.jpg

Birds eye view with a bonus, my FJ60 out front. You can see how I annexed part of the front yard to make the raised beds.
DSCN2679.jpg

man, those radishes are like superplants. 4 days after sowing they were out and now after 12 or so days I'm seeing red stuff already... :)

just sowed some mixed baby lettuces. First time on those.

I'm moving away from the small potted seedlings to actual seeds. More fun, more reliable, and I suspect the latter probably catch up in the end anyway.

rusty.. do you know what time of day this photo was taken.. morning noon evening

DSCN2677.jpg

A hobby of mine is shade mapping for gardens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom