The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Herb and veggie sale at Lowe's. This could be trouble:)

Great! You might want to pinch back the damaged leaves, that will encourage new growth.

My wife measured 10 1/2 inches of snow in our back yard yesterday. It might be a while before we do anything in the garden.
Mid 60's today, welcome to spring in the Sierra.

Got started on that very thing 2 weeks ago!

Way ahead of you. The spring planting sales from the national chains is never aligned with the real growing seasons in the desert. It's pretty annoying.

Way ahead of you. The spring planting sales from the national chains is never aligned with the real growing seasons in the desert. It's pretty annoying.
I worked in a green house in Las Vegas, we always got it started up in January so we could have bedding plants ready for the desert spring. Growers were always a few weeks behind the curve with their supply.
Do you get stuff going in cold frames?

I worked in a green house in Las Vegas, we always got it started up in January so we could have bedding plants ready for the desert spring. Growers were always a few weeks behind the curve with their supply.
Do you get stuff going in cold frames?

I've tried with mixed results. Even on a 60° sunny day, the inside can get hot enough to stress the plants. I do need to get better about seeding tomatoes indoors over the winter so I have mature plants to put in early in the season.

I've tried with mixed results. Even on a 60° sunny day, the inside can get hot enough to stress the plants. I do need to get better about seeding tomatoes indoors over the winter so I have mature plants to put in early in the season.
It's a PITA but you really don't have much choice unless you can find a local nursery that grow to suit your climate. Or build your own green house.

It's a PITA but you really don't have much choice unless you can find a local nursery that grow to suit your climate. Or build your own green house.

My side yard is just 10' wide between two houses. It may be better sheltered from both temperature extremes. I'm testing a few things in a container.

Basil, cukes, and gypsy and golden bell peppers in today:)
I planted a bunch of peppers on Saturday, then went snowboarding on a foot of fresh on Sunday.

:lol:

I pickle a lot of wax chiles every year.

We are talking about pumpkins this year. Usually we don't have enough room but we have been canning so much organic stuff from costco we probably won't plant a lot of beans and stuff. Just tomatoes, because you simply cannot buy a tomato that taste as good as home grown. I'll do sunflowers because they look cool and the birds like them.

Trying to think of unusual stuff we usually don't grow. Any suggestions?

We are talking about pumpkins this year. Usually we don't have enough room but we have been canning so much organic stuff from costco we probably won't plant a lot of beans and stuff. Just tomatoes, because you simply cannot buy a tomato that taste as good as home grown. I'll do sunflowers because they look cool and the birds like them.

Trying to think of unusual stuff we usually don't grow. Any suggestions?

Get used to planting seeds from the produce you buy and eat. That way you'll always be growing something that you already like.

Get used to planting seeds from the produce you buy and eat. That way you'll always be growing something that you already like.
Good suggestion.
Maybe I'll try some dried beans. I could just throw seeds from the pantry out, let them grow all summer then harvest them.

Mini maters:)
IMAG0039.jpg

First garlic:)
IMAG0047.jpg

Got a few of these though...
image.jpeg

My beets/chard have some bad leaf miner bugs. I was hoping to harvest some greens. I can just cull all the leaves I guess to get rid of the pests?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom