The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kind of odd to see wilt, resistant strains were developed over 30 years ago by hybridization. Are those heirloom varieties?

Early Girls, they've always done well here.

I hope you're right. They may have a chance to recover.
The transition from green house to garden at this time of year is pretty harsh, I think they will be fine.

The transition from green house to garden at this time of year is pretty harsh, I think they will be fine.

We've been warm but the nights are still cool enough to stress tomatoes. This was a three gallon pot with four sturdy plants. Two are likely kaput, a third is iffy and the forth is stressed but may have a chance.

I had a cluster of tomatoes pop up in the fall in a spot where I dump seeds when cooking. They survived the winter and are now a two foot tall thicket loaded with baby tomatoes. I have no idea what varieties. Either way, I should have tomatoes by the end of the month.

Anybody seen this? View attachment 1219874 Newly potted tomatoes, well fertilized and watered. No sign of pests. I appear to be losing two of four plants and the other don't look happy

Rob, could be Mosaic. Check this out:
Tobacco mosaic

Huge reason the hydroponic growers don't hire smokers and keep a sterile environment, can even come in with a soil mix. I was just at a growers facility in Phoenix today, and he was having problems with certain varieties.

Rob, could be Mosaic. Check this out:
Tobacco mosaic

Huge reason the hydroponic growers don't hire smokers and keep a sterile environment, can even come in with a soil mix. I was just at a growers facility in Phoenix today, and he was having problems with certain varieties.

Could be. Doesn't sound like there's jack I can do about it but wait it out.

I won't even start prepping soil until the end of the month.

Summer is pretty much the dead zone for us, so we have to start early.

So far two are still alive but I've yet to see new growth on either. They're in a pot, so soil temps are probably still a little cool.

Tonight we talked about letting the garden lay fallow this year. I'll probably divide garlic and throw out some beet and carrot seed then overplant with a vetch or something.

Tonight we talked about letting the garden lay fallow this year. I'll probably divide garlic and throw out some beet and carrot seed then overplant with a vetch or something.

Just dump your compost in there. There will be plenty of seeds and some will grow. Accidental gardens are fun.

Planted out the tomatoes.

Guaranteed hailstorms within days.

:doh:

image.jpeg

I thought I was dooming us to a freeze when I planted mine. Hasn't happened yet, you may be okay.

I pulled some young garlic and used it like scallions in dinner tonight. Freaking awsomeness right there.

I pulled some young garlic and used it like scallions in dinner tonight. Freaking awsomeness right there.

I just use the greens while they're young, best part about growing garlic IMO

IMAG0032.jpg
Looking better

Great! You might want to pinch back the damaged leaves, that will encourage new growth.

My wife measured 10 1/2 inches of snow in our back yard yesterday. It might be a while before we do anything in the garden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom