The Ultimate BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's what I was up to over the Christmas holiday. Brined 10lbs of pork belly. Did a little over half with a simple salt, brown sugar, curing salt brine and then did the other slab with the same brine and added maple syrup. Let them brine for 7 days, flipping once daily, then smoked with pecan for a couple hours at 250 degrees. Since I had the smoker going I cooked a 10lb pork butt too. That's how that glorious sandwich at the bottom came to be

View attachment 1869421

View attachment 1869422

View attachment 1869434

View attachment 1869435

View attachment 1869436

I am def going to make some bacon now!

Was the final product nice and salty? I like salty bacon....😋

Would love a play by play on the wings. I always screw them up. Don't even have the basics.

I am def going to make some bacon now!

Was the final product nice and salty? I like salty bacon....😋

It was sufficiently salty. I think I used 2.5% of the total weight of the belly for salt. If you like it extra salty I'd bump it up to 3-3.5% of the total weight of the belly

It was sufficiently salty. I think I used 2.5% of the total weight of the belly for salt. If you like it extra salty I'd bump it up to 3-3.5% of the total weight of the belly

Is your salt content for the brine or the rub?

I've been working on this for a while now, hope to have it finished for this coming Christmas. ...The floor of the main oven is 1/2" plate making it usable as a BBQ for steaks etc or with the doors closed as an oven for roasting.

Outdoor area..JPG

Is your salt content for the brine or the rub?

That is salt content for the brine.
I've only done dry brines and have had good success.

I think the recipe I used last time was: (All based on percentages of weight of the pork belly)

0.25% Curing Salt
2.5% Sosher Salt
1.25% Brown Sugar
1T Black Pepper
1t Pickling Spice
1t Thyme

Would love a play by play on the wings. I always screw them up. Don't even have the basics.

For this batch I set my smoker to 275 deg.

Season wings with a rub. I just used the same rub I use for my ribs and butts, let me know if you want the recipe....

Place wings directly on the rack for about 1hr or until they read 165 deg.

I then crisp the skin on a charcoal grill at high heat. NO ONE wants limp chicken skin! Just be careful not to burn, keep turning actively. You may also fry them in some oil for a couple minutes.

Oh, then toss with sauce after all is done, if you wish. Though they are awesome naked. Franks has an easy recipe on the bottle and I add a good scoop of cayenne pepper.

Love some Frank’s. As you know, you can put that )&&$ on everything. 😁

To me Frank's has too much vinegar. I am using a wing sauce from the Crystal line of hot sauces.
Much better IMHO.

hkeller I started a thread called "Chicken Wings" and had a ton of people chime in with methods and techniques, and opinions on sauces, both store bought and home made.

I'd like to try this one also. I dig Malcolm Reed, dude can cook! And he uses all kinds of grills and smokers.

That looks awesome! I like to get those from the mexican market by my work. They marinate with a lot of chili, lime juice, salt and garlic. So so good. Those are going to be delicious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom