The Turtle Build - 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tone33

SILVER Star
Threads
My kids named it The Turtle, for the half-gone and faded out Marlin Crawler sticker on the back. I picked it up a few weeks ago from Kentucky. The truck lived some or maybe all of its life in GA. It's a woods truck, for sure, and well suited as such. Body is rusty, but frame is solid. Drivetrain seems to be good. No top, no doors. It has quite a few upgrades for wheeling. My goal is to get it running well, drive it on street and on trails, teach my kids to drive on it, and in general have fun and make memories with it.

I have 2 other Land Cruisers, an 80 and a 100 so I'm not new to cruisers, but I am new to 40s. Looking forward to learning a lot, and perhaps some of what I post here will help someone else. I don't really expect this thread to ever be done. I'm really not going for a "frame-off" resto or chase down every single gremlin or rust spot. But I do intend to preserve this fine 42 year old vehicle as best I can, and keep it running so we can use it.

This post is also a bit self-serving to help me keep track of what I need to do, to keep me motivated to continue the project. I'll use this as a sort of journal to log what I've done. And if this truck ever leaves our family the next owner will have a nice semi-documented history. I certainly welcome thoughts on what I'm doing and I'll definitely have questions along the way. I will update this main page with to do, done, etc. as I go to keep my lists organized.

When I got it the clutch wouldn't work at all - a quick bleeding of the slave cylinder fixed that and it shifts through all gears nicely. The maiden voyage happened on Sunday - I drove around my neighborhood, and terrified my 12 year old who was my passenger as the front right wheel had a LOT of movement of the lateral type (hence the in progress knuckle rebuild) due to likely bad bearings (trunion and wheel, I suspect). The engine runs well, sounds good. But now it's in the garage and I'm going through all the important bits first (brakes, axles/knuckles, etc).

The Good
  • Frame is solid, only surface rust
  • Metaltech roll cage - welded to frame
  • Metaltech sliders (I think)
  • Metaltech fenders - bolted to frame
  • Lift - OME maybe?
  • Transmission, transfer case, and clutch all seem to be good
  • Engine sounds good - 81K (or 181K? or 281K?) miles
  • BFG MT tires
  • Lights and speedometer work
The Bad
  • Body, especially back part of the tub, is rusty
  • Frame does not have deep rust, but will need to be cleaned up to prevent spread
  • Not so great looking 17" wheels - with 1" spacers
  • No top, no doors

The Fixed and Done List
  • Pressure wash and general clean up
  • Replaced spark plug wires (some Napa brand)
  • Replaced spark plugs (NGK)
  • Replaced coil (Napa)
  • Oil change (Rotella 15w40 for diesel)
  • Bled clutch
  • Changed front and rear diff oil
  • Replace steering column bushing to fix wobble
The To Do List
  • Front axle/knuckle service (in progress)
  • Bleed brakes
  • Grease all zirks (springs, DS, etc)
  • Reboot tie rod and drag link, add zirks
  • New tie rod and drag link ends (with boots)
  • Install muffler and exhaust
  • Install front drive shaft
  • Fix battery tie down
  • Get weber carb cover
  • Flush coolant
  • Front windshield is floppy - check bolts under dash cover
  • Fix broken bolt under steering column (in cab)
  • Replace valve stem seals
  • Replace PCV valve and grommet
  • Connect/fix turn signals
  • Fix horn
The Buy List
  • Soft top
  • Wheels and tires

• IMG_4049.jpeg
    IMG_4110.jpeg
    IMG_4139.jpeg
    1111.png
    IMG_4070.jpeg

Last edited:
Good on you for rescuing that poor truck!

Get it driving safely and have some fun with it. A great vehicle to teach your kids how to do stuff.

Yea I'm excited about the color. I do plan to paint the fenders and other bits - what's the best color match? Does Rustoleum rattle can make one?

Best of luck finding a match for a severely faded Cruiser Mustard. And good on ya for reaching that one! I grew up two girls in mine and they still have a love for them.

I’m fairly certain I’m missing the bolts near the bottom behind the dash pad that keep it in place. but... I’m also looking at wheels and tires and want 35s for sure, prob on 15x8 rims. The tires on it are 255s which are about a 32, I think.

I’m fairly certain I’m missing the bolts near the bottom behind the dash pad that keep it in place. but... I’m also looking at wheels and tires and want 35s for sure, prob on 15x8 rims. The tires on it are 255s which are about a 32, I think.
Ya that thing is begging for some more meat under the fenders.

Well duh...

I just noticed you're in Spring Hill. I'm in Leiper's Fork. We need to talk!

Haha.. yea those skinnies and wheels look a bit ... odd. This truck wasn't built for that size tire. My guess is a PO swapped out for what was under there before selling.

And cool! Always good to meet a local. There are a few cruiser folks around middle TN @Tennessee80 @Monty231 @ukaviator..

I got a good bit done this weekend, my package from @cruiseroutfit with knuckle kit and other stuff arrived Friday. I honestly thought I’d have a running and driving truck by today/tomorrow, but that’s not gonna happen. One thing I am learning is the deeper I dig the more projects I will find, so I must choose what to fix carefully, lest I open up a lot more issues that I’m not ready to deal with yet.

Engine and body stuff
  • New distributor cap, rotor, coil install
  • Steering column bushing install, broke a bolt in the process, so another project to tackle for another day.
  • Cleaned up and painted brake dust shields
  • Cleaned parts, cleaned parts, and cleaned more parts. Need to find some kerosene! But carb cleaner and gas seemed to work well enough.
  • Drove to auto parts store and lowes too many times for tools and stuff
  • Got a “cherry bomb” muffler from my father in law to install when I get to the exhaust bits.
Knuckles
  • Knuckle housings are off on both sides - woo! This is my first full knuckle job, so there was a lot for me of mediocre mechanical aptitude to figure out here.
  • Lesson learned is that there are cone washers on bottom of the knuckle housing…gee that would have been easier than mangling the bearing inside the housing to get the housing off (doh)
  • Laid out all front end parts and realized I have mismatching sets - likely trail repairs and whatever someone had on hand.
  • Still need to sand and polish up knuckles
Axle Surprise!
  • I found a Longfield on the short side (surprise!)
  • The Longfield is busted (surprise, again!) - this was quite likely the reason for my “wobbly wheel” issue on the test drive the other day
  • Looks like someone put a set of 80 series flanges on the front hubs in place of the factory locking hubs. I would guess as a trail upgrade. I have to wonder if having the longfield spinning all the time led to quicker wear and breakage. I’ll probably put something else in to save money and because I’d like to make this vehicle street-able.
  • Video of birf moving (or not really moving) around
Tie rods and drag link
Next up to order
  • Hub hardware kit for both sides (dang, 40 hardware is almost twice $$$ as 80 hardware)
  • Right side/short side axle and birf

IMG_4194.jpeg
IMG_4197.jpeg
IMG_4198.jpeg
IMG_4212.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4234.jpeg
IMG_4235.jpeg
IMG_4236.jpeg
IMG_4248.jpeg
IMG_4249.jpeg

:doh: