The Tom Fjuckery Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome...........oh yeah, and BEWARE

View attachment 1981374
Well my plan is to have it on the road for less than 3500 and I am nearly positive that I will. The lift gate and half doors were really just a "I WILL need those and they are convenient so I'll go get them".

In any case, I got the bumper off and found the vin! Looks like it is a 70-4? And it looks like PO did shorten the frame and weld in some shoddy looking shackle lift of some sort.

15583339838027788040168590553144.jpg

15583340159858869310830269137762.jpg

Good progress so far! Those wood moving dollys make me nervous though. They might be rated for 1000lbs and all, but that's for a uniformly spread load. All of your concentrated point load is on a CMU supported by 1x4's. If one of those snaps, is there anything to prevent the axle(s) from sliding off the other blocks?

Good progress so far! Those wood moving dollys make me nervous though. They might be rated for 1000lbs and all, but that's for a uniformly spread load. All of your concentrated point load is on a CMU supported by 1x4's. If one of those snaps, is there anything to prevent the axle(s) from sliding off the other blocks?
They feel pretty sturdy. But now that you have said something ill have to put it on stands; just so you cant say told you so.

So im gonna buy some wheel cylinder rebuild kits but i am worried I'll get the wrong ones. Being that the cylinders changed from 70 to 71. From what I have gathered pre 71 had 9mm brake lines nuts and the later had 10mm (a long with bore size changes)? Cause my lines are 10mm so I'm worried they aren't the original 70 model cylinders. Think I'm gonna pop them all off and take measurements before I order kits. With all the Frankensteining on this thing I think I need to check and verify.

just so you cant say told you so
:cool: I would never say that. You'd be too busy trying to saw off your leg to worry about what I had to say anyway. :rofl:

I was very happy with the quality of the cylinder replacements I got from cruiseroutfitters.com. Mark's Offroad carries the right ones too. Either one can help you sort through the 9mm, 10mm transition. I believe that happened sometime mid '70 so depending on when and where yours was assembled, it could've been a coin toss based on parts available. Post pics of the brake lines and the veteran cruiser heads on here can probably tell you by looking if they're not factory. I read about too many bleeding issues on here to try out the chain store cylinders. Good luck! :beer:

I'll chime in. The fittings changed from 9mm to 10mm in 7/70. It looks like the frame number places this in 4/70 so you will (maybe) have the 9mm setup.

I'll chime in. The fittings changed from 9mm to 10mm in 7/70. It looks like the frame number places this in 4/70 so you will (maybe) have the 9mm setup.
That's why I'm worried! Cause it is definitely a 10mm. At least on the front passenger side I'll check all of the lines tomorrow and see what I have got for sure and then I'll call the guys who know all the things and order the kits from em!

Budget update: just sold a set of jeep doors and i have a deposit down on the hard top. So i definitely have enough money for brake kits tie rod ends now!

A 10mm wrench doesn't tell you what the size of the nut is. It's the threads. If you look closely, you can tell what size it is. Are the threads the same width as the flats on the nut? If not, it's 9mm.

On the other hand, it's very common to have a front end conversion for disc brakes. Ignore that if your brake are drums all around. If THAT is the case, you are totally 9mm.

All that to say, either way isn't a problem. Any combination can be replaced. You just have to know what you're replacing.

A 10mm wrench doesn't tell you what the size of the nut is. It's the threads. If you look closely, you can tell what size it is. Are the threads the same width as the flats on the nut? If not, it's 9mm.

On the other hand, it's very common to have a front end conversion for disc brakes. Ignore that if your brake are drums all around. If THAT is the case, you are totally 9mm.

All that to say, either way isn't a problem. Any combination can be replaced. You just have to know what you're replacing.
Well that clears that up!

So I have finally scored out a couple hours for these brakes! As per rainman's advice I looked closely a saw that the threads are just a bit smaller than the flats on the 10mm nut, so 9mm lines confirmed! Gonna get place orders for kits tomorrow hopefully!

15586628939944194328057549930415.jpg

15586635846361967471635023137043.jpg

There's a whole bunch here:

There's a whole bunch here:
Good to know! I will try and utilize them. So i have decided the rebuild the fronts and replace the rears. I broke 2 mounting bolts in the rear, 2 of the cylinders are rust-welded stuck and 1 of them was a newer cylinder with the bigger piston. So ya. Guess I'll be spending a little more money with some mud vendors!

So i have decided the rebuild the fronts and replace the rears. I broke 2 mounting bolts in the rear, 2 of the cylinders are rust-welded stuck and 1 of them was a newer cylinder with the bigger piston. So ya. Guess I'll be spending a little more money with some mud vendors!

In the distant past, I used to rebuild wheel cylinders and master cylinders; I probably still have the hones and etc. When I realized how relatively inexpensive new wheel cylinders were, I gave up on the rebuilding - just wasn't worth my time versus the cost of new. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom