The one ton swap thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty lucky that I ducked over the passenger as it rolled, some old dude hit me, totally at fault, lots of witnesses.

Not impressed by how well the A pillar held up

View attachment 3367414
I was involved in a rollover in a 100 series and it is truly a terrible feeling. I had to duck as well or else I wouldn't want to think what would have happened.
I am very glad to see you are OK. Better trucks will come hopefully.

Reality is the 80 is an old truck and it did well for the standards of the time it was produced but really it isn't a safe place to be in a roll-over compared to many modern vehicles and other more modern land cruisers.

They improved rollover structural strength with the 100 and greatly so with the LC200.

For the folks who offroad alot and wheel these older trucks on very steep angles I really would recommend roll cages/helmets when driving off road.
Each crash has different circumstances but its best to be safe.

All the best and I hope you never experience something like this again.

Does anyone know of a shop that swaps one ton axles, just looking for pricing online so I can put together pricing for insurance.

Some references to a mechanic that has pricing online would make things easy. Thanks!
Not online, but in Calgary, the only place I think that would tackle that is E-mortal Customs. They might be able to pull an estimate up for you.

Not to worry you too much, but if you have a dent in your skull, you could have a depression fracture. You want to get that checked right away.
You might be able to fix your skull with one of those dent pullers they sell at Auto Zone. If you don't feel up to doing it yourself, have a friend or neighbor do it.

Does anyone know of a shop that swaps one ton axles, just looking for pricing online so I can put together pricing for insurance.

Some references to a mechanic that has pricing online would make things easy. Thanks!
Maybe talk to Brink Fab in Sylvan Lake

After Looking at those roll over pics makes me question taking the family in the truck on the trails.... but caging it adds all sorts of other problems.

I also track BMW's and for perspective on the safety of modern vehicles vs this vintage, a modern M3 is 2.5 times stronger in a roll over than a fully caged 1988 E30 M3 DTM spec race car. I am sure a similar stat exists between the 80 and 300 series.

After Looking at those roll over pics makes me question taking the family in the truck on the trails.... but caging it adds all sorts of other problems.

I also track BMW's and for perspective on the safety of modern vehicles vs this vintage, a modern M3 is 2.5 times stronger in a roll over than a fully caged 1988 E30 M3 DTM spec race car. I am sure a similar stat exists between the 80 and 300 series.

I haven't seen this level of damage on an 80 that was rolled rock crawling or running trails. I think this level of damage is reserved for higher speeds on paved roads.

Reactions: PIP
I haven't seen this level of damage on an 80 that was rolled rock crawling or running trails. I think this level of damage is reserved for higher speeds on paved roads.
Ya, 30 km/hr.. Got it in, drove 3/4 of a city block along a playground zone and BANG!

The cons of a taller vehicle perhaps, but that thing is bent good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom