Builds The Masochist Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shadowlightpsych.com
Am I masochistic?

I think the answer is YES... but I kinda like the way it feels :grinpimp::wrench:

photo (6).jpg
It begins...

Last edited:
photo (8).jpg

...Good hell! what have I gotten myself into? There was some seriously weird **** going on in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Eh not that bad... While you have the fan shroud out do the split mod. Will save you some bloody knuckles/forearms when changing belts in the future...

Funny. When I got my first 60, my buddy took one look under the hood and said the same thing, about all the vac hoses... But study the emissions manual, as you can, and it does get easier. Particularly if you follow the diagram and replace/check all the hoses. You learn where things are and what they're called, then.

Good luck

Emissions manual and 2F manual pdf downloads in my sig line.

photo (10).jpg
My 8-year-old at the winch controller...
....................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
Nice little garage set up there. :jealous:

It may be in your other thread, but what is the reason for pulling the 2F ?

Also 2nd the nice work space... I H8 U :D

Awesome - what fun you're having! Get it heated for winter and maybe an old radio or TV and you have an awesome man cave going there.

Nice little garage set up there. :jealous:

Awesome - what fun you're having! Get it heated for winter and maybe an old radio or TV and you have an awesome man cave going there.

Thanks!

It may be in your other thread, but what is the reason for pulling the 2F ?

Also 2nd the nice work space... I H8 U :D

One cylinder is completely dead. Another is running at about 50%. Compression problems appear to be mostly head/valve related. But throw out bearing makes noise and lots of oil leaks, and with the miles probably best just to go through the whole engine so decided to yank it.

The full story of how I got myself into this: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/771522-am-i-masochistic.html

Last edited:
So I finally found the time to disassemble the engine. Someone has definitely been through it before which can be good or bad I suppose. I was hoping it was all original and in good enough shape I could just hone the cylinders and throw some new bearings in it. Would have been good experience for my 8 and 10-year-old boys. Now I'm thinking I'm going to let the machine shop mic it and build the short block cha-ching. At least I'll have a warranty.

... a couple of things I need some advice on: I noticed the ps pump has been leaking all over the smog pump. Planning on rebuilding the ps pump. No experience with smog pump so I'm not sure how it should operate, but the smog pump pulley does not spin true, not a smooth feeling or sound when turning it by hand. So do you rebuild or replace a smog pump?

Also, I want to make sure the carburetor is as healthy as the new engine I'm attaching it to. Best to rebuild or replace the carb?

Planning on replacing the water pump, coolant hoses, belts, gaskets and seals of course. Is there anything else I should inspect, service, or replace while I've got everything torn down?

Oil galley plug

... a couple of things I need some advice on: I noticed the ps pump has been leaking all over the smog pump. Planning on rebuilding the ps pump. No experience with smog pump so I'm not sure how it should operate, but the smog pump pulley does not spin true, not a smooth feeling or sound when turning it by hand. So do you rebuild or replace a smog pump?

Also, I want to make sure the carburetor is as healthy as the new engine I'm attaching it to. Best to rebuild or replace the carb?

Planning on replacing the water pump, coolant hoses, belts, gaskets and seals of course. Is there anything else I should inspect, service, or replace while I've got everything torn down?

If it hasn't already been done, do the oil galley plug fix. Whole lot easier with it out of the engine bay. I would try to find someone who has a known good pump from a 60. While you can rebuild them (lots of threads) parts are hard to find, the carbon vanes being the specifically hard one.

Since you are thinking rebuilding with smog, Marshalls (trollhole) aftermarket carb probably isn't an option, but you might want to look into it, depending on your smog laws. Dunno if you can still get OEM repair kits, but seems like lots of folks have successfully rebuilt the carbs (again, lots of threads), or replaced them with Webers.

I also will comment on severe garage envy. Drool.

Best of luck!

Glenn in Tucson

hey whatever your two boys can be in on,i'm sure they will always remember it. i remember when i "graduated up" from wrench getter to using the torque wrench !
when i need help i don't call for either of my boys,23yrs,&17 yrs. nope, i yell for my 13 yr old daughter ! she loves to wrench on "Bertha" will probably be hers someday. when she was about 4 she said
"Dad,i love the small of WD-40" thats my baby!

photo (11).jpg
hey whatever your two boys can be in on,i'm sure they will always remember it. i remember when i "graduated up" from wrench getter to using the torque wrench !
when i need help i don't call for either of my boys,23yrs,&17 yrs. nope, i yell for my 13 yr old daughter ! she loves to wrench on "Bertha" will probably be hers someday. when she was about 4 she said
"Dad,i love the small of WD-40" thats my baby!

Very cool! I thought I was the only one who likes the smell of WD! So my dad bailed when I was 7. I grew up with a single mom, 3 sisters, no brothers. I had a grandfather that was a shade tree mechanic so picked up some skills from him, but learned most of it when I got a job in a garage after high school. I like to ski and mtn bike, climb. Was never into team sports so I feel bad I can't really teach my boys any of that stuff, but they already know their way around under a hood pretty well.

I'm taking the head and block in the the machine shop tomorrow. I'm going to let them inspect it and let me what they think I should do. I still might assemble it at home. Whatever happens my little dudes will be involved for sure :)

Last edited:
I just noticed your sig. That is a seriously clean 60 considering it lives in Utah, the land of salt.

Yeah pretty straight, minimal rust. It came out of Great Falls and I was told that's where it's been its whole life. It's not like they have great weather in MT so you would think it would have more corrosion than it does. Maybe salt isn't as accessible up there as it is here in "the land of salt" lol!

image-2629053710.jpg

Doesn't sound as bad as what you poor guys have to deal with on CA, but the emissions authorities around here are full on Nazis. For good reason. The air can get pretty nasty along the Wasatch front. Especially in the winter. So I'm trying to keep the emission system intact of I can.

I found a new smog pump in stock w/lifetime warranty $130 at local parts house. Going to go with that unless strong opinions against it? Also you can see from the photo I'm going to need a new injection manifold. Any one have one kicking around? (like $350 retail yikes!) And while on the subject; where is the best source for used parts? I've picked up stuff from cruiserparts.net in the past and was not terribly impressed with service or quality. Maybe just caught them on a bad day... or two

Most stuff you are going to have to do some searching around for. I still have my air rail intacted, just been to lazy to remove it and not really sure how good of quality it is in. If you can, go with OEM, for the Smog Pump, going aftermarket you will likely replace in a few years as they don't seem to last very long for some reason (just from my reading).
For the PS I would see if you can salvage one or go new, rebuilds eventually leak and then your SP is out again as the PS leaks all over it. If you are looking for a mod, look into doing the 80s volvo Saginaw conversion (plenty of threads out there on it). Lots more pressure for steering making for better response but if your steering box is not in good order then it will blow a seal. There is a company in Texas that is well known among the community for doing stellar rebuilds of the steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom