Builds The Masochist Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had mine for 2 years now, barely got anything done on it. Some of you guys out there buy these trucks and within weeks tear them apart and put them back together. That is impressive work right there.

^^^ Agreed... Have owned mine for just over a year and besides a desmog and making rear speaker panels I have done almost nothing on my list other than maintenance repairs.

Also, mine looks worse as well with mismatched body panels. Lol, well at least the new panels are rust free.

Shawn, received your email through 'mud, but the mud-linked return address is bad. Update your mud profile w/ a current email and ping me again.

PS. You are a masochist. Pulling and installing the engine without removing core support crossbar, condensor, grill? Hardcore.

So you're saying the blood vessels I popped in my temples trying to drop the motor in vertically wasn't really necessary? :doh: Actually it seemed like it went in pretty easy? I got lucky maybe.

...you've been pinged

Been a while. Thought I'd post an update:

It was a meditation in patience but I finally got my carby back from Jim C a few months back. It was worth the wait. Runs great. Passed emissions with flying colors. Still idles a little rougher than I like but seems like I've run across comments referring to the '60 Stumble'. All part of the experience maybe?...

It's been my daily driver for the past 3 months or so. I've put about 5k on it already. Lots of compliments. There just aren't many of these around here.

It's been running so well I braved a good long road trip last week. 250 miles to Pinedale, WY to do some climbing in the Wind Rivers. Clocked about 600 total. Lots of big hills. Performed beautifully.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406002527.967756.jpg

The more I drive it the more I like it.
Unfortunately the wife doesn't quite get it.

Again, I work with adolescent boys so my priorities are a little skewed; Next up: sound system improvement.

Got my hands on an original head unit. The knobs and buttons complement the dash much better than the crappy mid 90s deck I pulled. I will likely mount the new unit in the glove box or center console. What I've got so far:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406003305.017359.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406003328.217236.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406003378.234093.jpg

It looks a little shabby, but the shallow mount sub sounds great. Should look nice once the panel's back in place. Trying to keep the retro look as much as possible. Might even try to paint the sub grill brown to keep that look..

...via IH8MUD app

At some point in its life I think my cruiser spent some time stuck in a stream. A while back while I had it up on the rack I stuck my fingers in one of the holes in the frame and was surprised when my fingers hit bottom just below the the hole. The frame was chock full of dirt and rocks. I took it to the car wash. Lots of chocolate milk. When the water ran clean I was confident I got it all cleaned out, so I was surprised when later I stuck my fingers in and hit bottom again. It didn't seem like I'd made a dent.

Perplexed, I let it sit for a couple of months. Yesterday I decided to try to do something about it again. I put it on the rack and went around smacking the frame with a ball peen until I couldn't hear any more. Then I pulled it out on the driveway and spent 45 minutes on my back eating dirt, poking a Vacula tip through the holes in the frame. What I found:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412514163.567601.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412514177.116560.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412514191.766548.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412514214.966597.jpg

Sticks, rocks as big as my thumb... The only thing I can think of that would fill the frame with debris like that would be that is sat for a while in the current of a sandy stream bed.

Last edited:
Finally got the cargo area put back together after sound system upgrade. Feels good. Sounds good. I took the opportunity to clean out the bottom of the quarter panels and do a little Por-15 treatment.

The original carpet was oil stained and rotten. The diamond plate rubber turned out ok, but I would rather have used original carpet. Couldn't find a piece in good shape that wasn't a million dollars.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412653852.384722.jpg

Nice! Glad you're enjoying it. I think your cargo panels are the first I've seen without 6x9's cut into them. So you have the sub and two door speakers in the front? I saw that you said it sounded good so curious.

Still idles a little rougher than I like but seems like I've run across comments referring to the '60 Stumble'.

What do think is causing this stumble?

On a side note, what's the story behind the molecule in your avatar?

Nice! Glad you're enjoying it. I think your cargo panels are the first I've seen without 6x9's cut into them. So you have the sub and two door speakers in the front? I saw that you said it sounded good so curious.

The PO left a set of MB Quarts 6.5 component speakers in the front doors. They're archaic, but the guys at the local stereo shop say they are better than anything you can buy these days. I also added a set of RF 4" speakers in the rear doors. They seem to balance the sub nicely.

Having a stereo that can put out a little boom scores points with the adolescent population I work with. However I may have lost a few points with the wife. My boys think I'm dope s#*t. She thinks I'm a dumb s#*t.

...what's the story behind the molecule in your avatar?

Dopamine. The neurotransmitter involved in all pleasurable experience... and addictions.

Last edited:
The stumble is caused by being 50 RPM lean of the smooth idle setting.

Hey Jim. So are you suggesting I increase idle speed? It's been a while since I messed with it. I think I'm idling around 750 RPM, but iirc I had to bump it up around 900 to get it to smooth out which felt high.

No, the carb is currently adjusted to pass emissions, rather than adjusted to run good. Richen the idle mixture screw by 1/2-1 turn and idle quality (& RPM) will improve, and the idle speed can be reduced to 6-700.

Dopamine. The neurotransmitter involved in all pleasurable experience... and addictions.

Huh...Dopamine, you say? Addictive? Maybe that explains the sudden urge to eat my computer screen...

Huh...Dopamine, you say? Addictive? Maybe that explains the sudden urge to eat my computer screen...

Been doing mental health for a while. I've seen a lot of weird stuff. Fetishes... all sorts of addictions. First I've heard of computer equipment related eating disorder. Dude get help.
;)

Last edited:
Finally got the cargo area put back together after sound system upgrade. Feels good. Sounds good. I took the opportunity to clean out the bottom of the quarter panels and do a little Por-15 treatment.

The original carpet was oil stained and rotten. The diamond plate rubber turned out ok, but I would rather have used original carpet. Couldn't find a piece in good shape that wasn't a million dollars.
View attachment 950572

Build is looking great. Once you start there is always something else, especially while reading this forum. Interested in where you got the rubber mat from and what you used for padding? Thanks.

Build is looking great. Once you start there is always something else, especially while reading this forum. Interested in where you got the rubber mat from and what you used for padding? Thanks.

Thanks for the complement. The mats are by Kraco. I ran across them at Autozone, but you can get the stuff online cheaper. Just google diamond plate rubber floor mat.

Along with the carpet, the cargo area insulation was old and rotten on the cruiser so I visited the local salvage yard. It took the cargo insulation out of two early 2000's 4-Runners to make a piece big enough to cover the space. $6

It's time. Focused now on getting it trail worthy. Spent all my spare time last week on knuckle service and installing a lift kit from Kurt. Sitting on 33/10.5 - 15 Km2s and an OME Heavies, it looks like a Land Cruiser now instead of station wagon.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268288.909338.jpg

Got a chance to put it to the test today:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268326.893814.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268574.925653.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268349.777581.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268399.492368.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268529.392487.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1413268542.909870.jpg

Great shots and love the OG split wheels with the lift. Love that the Aspens are finally changing, might have to get my cruiser up to the local lake to "check out the aspens" and see what the fish are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom