Builds The Magnificent Seven: Build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good catch. Supposed to be 250 not 150. Looks like I'll need another fuse holder for the isolator since it not supposed to go over 120 amps.

A great vacation: week at home getting caught up on cruiser projects.

First to mention: I replaced all of the brake discs with Napa brand. Installed 100 series EBC green stuff pads in the front and 80 series EBC green stuff in the rear. I also replaced all of the rubber brake hoses with OEM toyota hoses and T100 extended length hoses.

3793B8FA-8486-4125-A633-76D5A1D16E47.jpeg

I decided to go ahead and delete the ABS and the LSPV. Huge difference in braking. Always had the feeling of not being able to get all the air out now I have a solid pedal.
Now I have a spot to put extra stuff:
5A18B2CD-26EE-411C-AB49-AAE370DD1857.jpeg

Next up was replacing the AC condenser that got dented while swapping out the engine last year. It is amazing that it did not leak at all, I messed it up good:

16DB2103-52D4-425C-AFE2-75D1EA1C1F10.jpeg

Next up was finishing my project to add a jerry can and propane tank holder to my swing out. I got a lighted license plate holder out of the junk yard and wired it up. I think it turned out pretty good:
4C4DB742-0A5B-4422-8315-840A1B180867.jpeg

The last thing worth mentioning is the addition of an air chuck to the front bumper. Now I don’t have to open the hood when I want to fill the tires with the York:
47D19E1F-71C9-4FD3-A15C-E3B68F3E79C2.jpeg

I've been unconsciously "copying" your build and I didn't realize it. I've got the Summit cruisers kit stting in my basement. York parts on a shelf. Plan to do a minimal lift (via Dobinsons springs). I hopefully will not have to swap engines. ;)
So, any tips on the swing out kit, and which winch did you choose?

I've been unconsciously "copying" your build and I didn't realize it. I've got the Summit cruisers kit stting in my basement. York parts on a shelf. Plan to do a minimal lift (via Dobinsons springs). I hopefully will not have to swap engines. ;)
So, any tips on the swing out kit, and which winch did you choose?

All fun projects with the exception of the engine replacement. I did not enjoy that. As far as the swing out, the only thing I would recommend is welding the fitting in the bumper that the strut connects to. I threaded it in and it moves around a lot. It will pop out one of these days and smack something hard. The York OBA is one of my favorite mods. No electric pump comes close. You’ll love it. The winch is a cheap 12k I bought off of eBay. Around $300 I think. I rarely use a winch so I couldn’t justify spending $$$. So many other things to buy instead.

Ready to slide

Finally had the chance to fab up the rock sliders and get them installed. I used the universal Trail gear kit and built my own brackets to bolt to the frame and heavy duty gussets. Glad to have this done and not worrying about bashing up my rocker panels anymore.

sliders 2.JPG
sliders.jpg

I've got the power!

Other exciting update is the installation of a tundra 150 amp alt using the @Photoman bracket. Awesome product! I took the opportunity to also upsize some of the power leads and add an inline breaker. I did not take a picture of the bracket install since there are plenty of those on here but here is everything back together.
power.jpg

I’ve got the long-lasting power!

So after much thought and consideration I decided to scale back to one AGM deep cycle battery instead of two standard batteries. I got the Duracell group 31 AGM from Sam’s club. Removed the second battery, box and the isolator and all associated wiring. Much cleaner looking on the passenger side. Now need to figure out how to clean up all the wires going to the one battery.
090A98ED-9181-4BCE-9E5E-4D87409A50AF.jpeg

Twins first offroad trip:

On thanksgiving day we decided, since the boys have been begging, to take them on some trails. It was a great time... at first. It had rained the day before so some of the trails were very slippery. We stopped moving forward a couple of times on some steep hills requiring me to winch us up a bit. One of the boys wasn't having it. He kept crying, "Daddy fix it! I don't want to be stuck any more". After the 3rd winching and some screaming from the backseat, we were all a little over it. So unfortunately I did not get any pictures that I had in mind with the family. Just have two pics of the boys in the back seat when they were still having fun taken by my wife.

The whole mess ended up being worth it: I hadn't been able to get my rear locker to engage since I've owned it. I always figured I would need to rebuilt the actuator. But while trying to get up one of the messy hills with the front locked the back finally kicked in. One less thing on the to-do list. It was Thanksgiving miracle.

Tday trip.jpg

What about the other six?

Since this is the Seventh Land Cruiser I've owned build thread, I thought I would pay homage to the other six in a Land Cruiser Collage:
I guess I need to own two more to complete the collage.

Cruiser collage.jpg

Penultimate:

It is amazing how fast additional projects pile up as I attempt to complete one. It all started when I decided to add back lights to my added compressor switch and light bar switch so that I can see them at night. First I thought I need to clean up this wiring. So I do by soldiering and shrink wrapping every connection and adding braided wiring sleeving. It looks really nice. But then I think, well I'm here so I might as well add the 3rd switch to finish off the 3 slots in the panel. Since I want to add fog lights one day soon, I should wire that as well. The result of the first chapter of the saga:
light switches.jpeg

I was happy with the result and being able to see my switches at night. But having a switch there that does nothing is just plain silly. I might as well add the fog lights. I have had, in a box for a couple of years, a HID fog light setup. They are 3 inch round lights but require drilling some holes in the bumper... So here I go, I hope I like it:
drill.jpeg

Having fogs lights on my vehicles is important to me since growing up near the central valley in California where the fog gets quite bad. It just always feels like a necessity much like 4 wheel drive does. Holes drilled and lights installed shortly after, And holy cow they are bright! They put my headlights to shame. That will not and can not stand. New look:

Front 2.jpeg

So the next chapter in the saga is to find new headlights that can compete with the fog lights. This part took a lot of research. There are so many options out there and so many opinions. Rabbit hole after rabbit hole, I fell. HID, LED, Projector etc. But eventually landed on 9011 HIR (kind of) bulbs based on write ups on this site. I am happy with the result.

As I admired all my new lights, I realized that I had several lights out around the dash. Again I sprung into action and bought all the replacement bulbs and got all of those working too. Lots of light now. And it is satisfying. This is of course the abridged version of over 4 weeks of work.

The Road less taken now has less fuel stops:

Aux tank installation. This one has been on my list for a long time. I have been collecting parts and planning the install starting with my 100 series that I used to own and then the infatuation continued to this 80 when I got it.

The parts list:
Dual filler neck: From Australia and meant for a 100 series petrol.
20 gallon tank: Made for a S10 blazer.
Lower brackets and Fuel pump assembly: Out of the local pull-a-part
Fuel transfer pump
Misc hoses and fittings from the fuel neck supply store
OEM aux fuel pump switch
Universal gauge and float kit

So I started with the dual filler neck that I bought from a guy in Aus. It was cut into three sets of pieces for easier shipping which was fine. I only cared about this:
aux 5.JPG

The existing fuel neck and tubing came out in one piece. Having a 1 inch body lift helped with that. The dual neck had a bracket with a bolt hole that perfectly aligned with a nut in the body. I think this dual neck must have been used in 80 series as well. It aligned and bolted in perfectly. You can see the back side of the nut and bolt at the bottom left.

aux 6.jpeg

aux 4.JPG

Next was to get the tank installed. The new tank came with the upper brackets and I got the lower brackets from the junk yard. I mounted them to the cross member almost directly above the rear axle and installed another cross member using steel L bar at the rear almost as far back as I could go. The end result was a tank that was very secure and hung only slightly below the frame:

aux 2.JPG

aux 3.JPG

I did not get pictures of the fuel pump assembly but I removed the in-tank fuel pump and installed a hose to the bottom of the assembly and installed the universal float to the assembly. The new transfer pump mount on the frame using the bolt holes for the spare tire lowering bracket. Farther down the main tank filler hose I installed a tee where the transfer pump hose would dump.

I installed the OEM fuel filler switch and gauge in the cab. I am not happy where the gauge is or how big it is. I need to find another solution for the gauge but it works for now.

aux 8.jpeg

aux 9.jpeg

That's it. Years of dreaming and its finally done. I am considering changing out the OEM switch to one that is not momentary so I don't have to hold it in. It is very nice to have 45 gallons of gas for long trips. Now just need to go out on those trips...

Fan clutch mod: To AIR on the side of caution.

I have not had over heating issues but going up steep inclines and slow movement along a trail tends to bring up the temps more than I would like so I decided to swap out the fan clutch fluid to the thicker 20k fluid. I have the Eaton clutch so it was just drain and refill, no adjustment of valves needed. The result has been a lot more air moving through the radiator or so it feels. We'll see in the summer and the next time I go out on the trail if it makes a difference.

fan clutch.JPG

I had my mechanics observe the re-install. They seemed pleased.

boys helping.JPG

Finally complete:

My aux fuel tank project is now, after a long part acquisition and installation, complete. Last night I installed the overhead fuel gauge console. The one I bought was grey so I had to spray it tan but the color ended up extremely close. So happy to be rid of my cheap fuel gauge and have a set up that looks oem. I may be becoming a purist. Well, maybe not totally because I ended up using visors for a 1998 4runner. But hey still Toyota right?
0992535F-8B42-46FC-8959-737A8E30997A.jpeg

A70C8980-8CFC-4B04-8744-3712493E5C9E.jpeg

I will never put a snorkel on my land cruiser....

So, I did it. But I felt like I had to for two reasons:
1. Lower intake temps for a possible turbo install in the next couple of months.
2. Suck in less dust while driving around dirt roads.

And now people know I mean business. I got the cheap ebay/ amazon version. Nothing really to note beyond what other have said; measure several times, check the template and weep a little as metal shavings fly.

image1 - Copy.JPG
image2 - Copy.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom