The joys of emissions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I took my recently acquired 60 to get it emissions tested today and since it came from a state that has no emissions testing I was a little worried.... Turns out that while I did fail, it's pretty close to passing.

CO % was 1.59, max allowed is 1.20
HC ppm was 248, max allowed is 0220

I figured I'd post this up while I work through this issue for the benefit of others...

Here's where I'm at:
211,000 miles on what I believe to be the orig 2f with all of the emissions systems in tact, all vacume lines appear to be in good shape and properly connected. The engine idles slightlly rough at 650 RPM but I've gotten so used to EFI motors that I may be being a bit sensitive to the idle.
I replaced the following before emissions testing:
air filter
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
also, ran a couple cans of fuel system cleaner through.

I checked the emissions manual and it looks like the next logical steps are to replace the PCV valve, set the timing, and adjust the valves. I'm going to do these things tomorrow evening and then use a can of seafoam. Hopefully this will get me pretty close. For some added insurance I picked up a can of that stuff they have at NAPA that claims to guarantee that you'll pass emissions. The guy that I talked to up there was pretty cool and claimed to have had good luck getting cars to pass using it. We'll see.

I'll post the results of my next test in a couple days.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Good luck, you will prevail!

I f'ing hate emissions. pita.

seafoam - kicks butt! but you might swap plugs before you run it through (old if you still have) or put new plugs in after. sometimes they get a bit gummed up...i've heard. it may make a diff is all i am saying.

also, make sure to run the snot out of it before you test. Get it nice and hot, blow out as much as you can before the test.

your so close, i bet you will make it under with just a bit more work. Good luck!

Changing out the PCV and adjusting the valves/timing should get you there. As far as that quick pass stuff goes, it's pretty much the same thing as SeaFoam - only Seafoam is more direct. What all of those products do is burn the carbon off of your head, valves and pistons, etc...

If you feel like you need to add anything, add a bottle of ISO HEET or Coleman white gas to the tank. That will burn more cleanly and register better on the emissions sniffer. (Though it's better just to fix your problem.)

--edit: I mentioned this over in Sean's other thread...but did you change the oil right before you went in? That might be all you need...but do the valves and timing anyway...

Although not in the best interest of my LC, I just register it a a truck w/ a gross vehicle weight over 13k lbs! Whats the towing capacity again?
Anyway, in Va I end up paying an extra $80 per yr in taxes for registering it this way, but I never have to worry about emissions. I don't know if it works that way anywhere else, but as a last resort...

FJMAN - that's one heavy cruiser........... might even be considered a Battleship! I know - humour comes in many forms! Anyway, great end run. Well played.

Did the Seafoam treatment tonight, flushed the engine and changed the oil, swapped in a fresh set of plugs. The Seafoam made quite a bit of smoke, hopefully did some good. I noticed that after I completed the treatment and swapping the plugs it started hard and idled a bit rough. I took it out on the road and drove a short distance at mostly wide open throttle and now it's idling smooth again. The additive that supposedly guaranteed to get you to pass emissions is supposed to be run through a full tank of gas (as swank60 pointed out, does the same thing as seafoam) and then refill a fresh tank and take the test. I grabbed a bottle of ISO Heat that I'll put in the tank right before I get the emissions test. Still need to adjust the valves and timing and then I'll be ready to retry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom