The Greatest tip for String trimmers Ever !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are better if wound correctly. Some people don't wind them correctly and they don 't feed.

I like the Echo heads. Been using the same ones from years ago.

Redmax is my favorite, but never had much trouble out of any of the major brands I've used(Shindaiwa/Echo/Redmax/Stihl); maybe the homeowner type stuff sucks. I will admit that after cutting grass for a living for years it's hard to use anything but the commercial grade stuff; I've been spoiled!

When not in use, I keep my bumpfeed thoroughly submerged in dried mud & chlorophyll, and the line lasts. I can trim & edge a quarter acre around the house, patio, driveway, & shed without bumping.

Plastic does NOT absorb water; and even if it's spongy, perforated (weakened) plastic - having water in the hollows won't affect the nature of the plastic. It would only make it heavier, which would cause it to come apart faster. But the first time the head is run up, all the water will sling off anyway.

This thread is VOODOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Keep the polycut blades out of direct sunlight and they will last longer. The "water trick" of keeping them from drying out works as well.

I use the Poly Cut head w/blades but also run trimmer line(the red stuff) thru it at the same time, best of both worlds, been using this set up for I bet close to 20 years on my Stihl's, currently a FS90

I prefer the fixed line heads over the tap n go types because they are lighter in weight allowing the trimmer to have more power to drive the head

I prefer the fixed line heads over the tap n go types because they are lighter in weight allowing the trimmer to have more power to drive the head

if you forgive me, I am not fully seeing the rationale there. It is true that a heavier object will be harder to accelerate than a light one with the same power. However, the heavier one will also have more inertia so once it gets going it's going longer or easier. And that would seem to be generally a plus for cutting operations since it will maintain the speed better. And my experience is that string trimmers rely mostly on string speed for cutting. Of course, here the string inertia and flexibility matter as well, but overall, I don't think the lighter head issue is much of a factor here, assuming that the head would not otherwise be so heavy that it damages the drivetrain. IOW, I don't avoid tap n go heads for that reason. (But there are others.)

When not in use, I keep my bumpfeed thoroughly submerged in dried mud & chlorophyll, and the line lasts. I can trim & edge a quarter acre around the house, patio, driveway, & shed without bumping.

Plastic does NOT absorb water; and even if it's spongy, perforated (weakened) plastic - having water in the hollows won't affect the nature of the plastic. It would only make it heavier, which would cause it to come apart faster. But the first time the head is run up, all the water will sling off anyway.

This thread is VOODOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Surprisingly, lots of plastics are hydroscopic. I was unaware of it until I started 3d printing stuff. I get significantly better results with PLA and ABS when I use filament rolls straight out of the dryer. I don't know why trimmer line would cut better moist though, might still be voodoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom