The "good" 12V compressor at Costco for $48.99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

damn, see post 71... :frown:

either it was a typo or indeed funny business.

I would put a cautionary flag on the credit cards just in case, folks, sorry....

Mine order was canceled as well. I've emailed the guy to see what's going on. I'm guessing that it was probably a typo and that he never intended for them to be so cheap. I just want to know why I was told it had been shipped in the first place. I'll be watching my credit card online.

I bought one in the Costco in Mountain View, CA - they had a big stack of them.

I like it because the OBA on my 80 is marginal, and I want to carry it in either the cruiser of the Ford, and use it for the Airstream as well.

M

well, FWIW, I've been using mine for a couple of years now. Probably used only 10-20 times though, so maybe 40-80 tires, but still very happy and still working fine. Sure gets hot, but keeps going.

I may just pick another one or 2 from Costco for presents, very inexpensive for what it is...

I just talked to the guy from amazon. He said that there were problems with his store front on amazon so he had to change the way he was registered. His new site is Astore.Amazon.com\dlex00-20 . Currently there isn't anything posted on this site but it does have the same "company" name. He said the items he is selling should be on the new site within an hour. I might take a look at the new site later on this afternoon to see if the compressors are the same price or what. Geez- the guy already has my credit card info so it probably wouldn't hurt to try ordering again if the price is the same.

I got a refund confirm today too! Bummer!!! But I will check into the guys new store front to se what is going on with him.

Dynosoar:zilla:

I have the MF-1050. The quick connector didn't anymore. I replaced it with the standard industrial one so I can use one hose with it and the CO2. It flows better thus filling the tries faster. I only go to 30lbs with the pump and so far, so good. Friend tried 45lbs and cooked the pump.
The electrical is a joke. Popped the fuse pretty quick, so I went through the system and "fixed" it.
No other issues for me and for the price, a good unit.
Danny

I have the MF-1050. The quick connector didn't anymore. I replaced it with the standard industrial one so I can use one hose with it and the CO2. It flows better thus filling the tries faster. I only go to 30lbs with the pump and so far, so good. Friend tried 45lbs and cooked the pump.
The electrical is a joke. Popped the fuse pretty quick, so I went through the system and "fixed" it.
No other issues for me and for the price, a good unit.
Danny

I've used mine to get to 50+ psi several times with no issue. Slows down though. Fuse never blew.

Has anyone tried to pipe one into a 1or 2 gal. tank? and than just use the tank.

Dave D

I'm on my 3rd or 4th compressor (thanks costco's return policy) for use with a tank. The first few broke because of user error. I've successfully used the costco compressor to air up my 3L tank to 120PSI. On my second compressor, it filled up my tank to 120 psi everyday for a couple months, then it just started getting slow. The current one is doing good and has been for about 6 months or so.

I would like to upgrade to a ViAir when money permits, but this is a decent solution for now.

I have the MF-1050. The quick connector didn't anymore. I replaced it with the standard industrial one so I can use one hose with it and the CO2. ...

These pumps have no shutoff safety for over pressure, are designed to use free flowing fittings. Most standard fittings are the sealed type, if the pump is run with a sealed type not properly connected or inadvertently turned on when disconnected, it will build big pressure and pop something, most likely the hose. High pressure "pops" can and have caused injury.

Free flow, bleeder type fittings are available, but if you have a standard type it can be modified. Take it apart and cut a notch in the seal, so it leaks or drill a hole in the valve plate.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th compressor (thanks costco's return policy) for use with a tank. The first few broke because of user error. I've successfully used the costco compressor to air up my 3L tank to 120PSI. On my second compressor, it filled up my tank to 120 psi everyday for a couple months, then it just started getting slow. The current one is doing good and has been for about 6 months or so.

I would like to upgrade to a ViAir when money permits, but this is a decent solution for now.

For a tank setup check out the Puma. It's a killer setup that already has the the valves, relays, unloader, etc and priced right.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-gear-recovery/166969-puma-12v-compressor.html

According to the directions, the compressor is only rated for 15 minutes continuous use @ 50% duty cycle (15on/15off). How long does it take to get up to 120 psi? After about 10 minutes it gets extremely hot, seems like you'd be killing the piston skirt trying to run it up to 120 psi like that.

I just used mine yesterday to air up a completely flat tire. I've been using them occasionally for a couple years and I'm really happy with it, I wish I had bought a few more. I wonder if there's anything that could be done to extend the life of them? I took it apart yesterday just to see what was inside, and it looks as if the piston skirt is made of some sort of plastic/teflon material, and is lubed with some sort of grease. Is there a special type of compressor grease that can be used?

According to the directions, the compressor is only rated for 15 minutes continuous use @ 50% duty cycle (15on/15off). How long does it take to get up to 120 psi? After about 10 minutes it gets extremely hot, seems like you'd be killing the piston skirt trying to run it up to 120 psi like that.

Probably somewhere around 5 minutes, never really timed it. I know it ain't quick, but for me, its quick enough. The tank's primary use is for the trains horns though.

I killed the first few compressors since I couldn't find a major leak in the air system during that time. I was running the system up to 120 psi everyday, sometimes even twice a day, since it was leaking about 40-50psi a day. Now, I notice it is a bit louder, and also a bit slower. I wonder if Costco will ever stop me from returning these compressors for new ones. haha ;p

Probably somewhere around 5 minutes, never really timed it. I know it ain't quick, but for me, its quick enough. The tank's primary use is for the trains horns though.

I killed the first few compressors since I couldn't find a major leak in the air system during that time. I was running the system up to 120 psi everyday, sometimes even twice a day, since it was leaking about 40-50psi a day. Now, I notice it is a bit louder, and also a bit slower. I wonder if Costco will ever stop me from returning these compressors for new ones. haha ;p

eh! I like the Costco return policy, don't mess it up for us... ! :)

I think these numbers vary with the different brands it's been sold under. Mine, which I bought at Pep Boys a few years ago, for not that cheap ($69 I think) is exactly the same as these...yet mine had a different box that said the runtime was 45 minutes, at 40psi at I believe 80-degrees-F. I remember that because I was shocked it was that long/good. They do get hot, but all compressors do. I've ran mine to 100psi dozens of times with no problems at all. I have a sealed type fitting on mine, so I just make sure I don't turn it on before it's connected to a tire...or the pressure goes up REALLY quick...and I turn off the compressor before disconnecting from a tire..

Our Costco has them on clearance (price ends in ".97")...however, the price is $39.97...still a good deal..but not $20...

-Mark

Our Costco has them on clearance (price ends in ".97")...however, the price is $39.97...still a good deal..but not $20...

-Mark

Just got back from lunch @Costco, they had just put out a new pallet of them priced at $39.97. I asked an employee about them, he thought that was the new normal price, been that price for a couple of months. He checked the computer, they have a couple more pallets on order, sell a pallet or so a month and didn't see anything about them being discontinued? Maybe it's a regional/individual store thing?

Just got back from lunch @Costco, they had just put out a new pallet of them priced at $39.97. I asked an employee about them, he thought that was the new normal price, been that price for a couple of months. He checked the computer, they have a couple more pallets on order, sell a pallet or so a month and didn't see anything about them being discontinued? Maybe it's a regional/individual store thing?
Our Costco also definitely did not have a shortage of them. I have heard that anything at Costco with a price ending in ".97" is on clearance...and so far that seems to be true. All the stuff that I've seen ending in ".97" is usually a killer deal, 5 pack of folding razor knifes for $9.97, etc...

Our Costco also definitely did not have a shortage of them. I have heard that anything at Costco with a price ending in ".97" is on clearance...and so far that seems to be true. All the stuff that I've seen ending in ".97" is usually a killer deal, 5 pack of folding razor knifes for $9.97, etc...

Probably true, have no idea if the person that I talked to knew the straight poop. I did buy an ugly pair of shoes, an employee was making them down as I was looking at them, at the register I was charged ~$20. The super had to change it, said they were discontinued, the clearance price was $8.88, so in this case the clearance price didn't end in .97?

I did buy an ugly pair of shoes

Gift for an inlaw?:confused:

39.97? that's $10 less than I paid two months ago. Time to make a run to Costco.

All MY inlaws are getting compressors for Christmas ;p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom