The Gardening Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just growing grass (lawn) this year. Roma tomatoes will be in for canning soon enough though.

Garlic ended up being a bit of a dud this year but onions are doing great and I plan to harvest one day this coming week.

Tomatoes are going nuts as well as okra and eggplants. Peppers starting to fruit.

My squash and zucchini were pitiful this year…I think I started them too early and there were no pollinators around so no real fruit. Ended up pulling them all cause the plants were huge and taking over the garden.

Cukes starting to come in and the bush beans have been doing good.

Part of me wonders why I don’t just go to the local farmers market, lol.

I need to find some time to plant some crops this year

Harvested onions today. My 2 year old had a blast pulling them up!

This year I decided to try potatoes in 5 gallon buckets. I dumped one bucket today to see how they were coming along…decent but will let the other buckets keep growing for a couple weeks.

11810F20-4686-4398-BA95-1B81917AA419.jpeg

7E3298C3-A9CE-4A78-B568-448AF0FEB530.jpeg

Yup. Normal. Probably won’t make it to ripe stage. You can toss a wire cage over it in fall and fill with straw to vertical mulch it and get a head start in the spring to give them a head start in the season. Still probably won’t make it but maybe. Red musa minis usually do best.

@jfz80 or anyone else know of nurseries in the RTP to check for Japanese White Pines, either the ibo-can or glauca varieties? I checked Keefer and they had some glauca but were stupid expensive ($250 for very small trees). Durham Garden Center had a gorgeous tree but it was bonsai style and almost $500.

Was hoping to find something in 3 gallon size for ~$100 or so and would prefer local vs ordering online.

@jfz80 or anyone else know of nurseries in the RTP to check for Japanese White Pines, either the ibo-can or glauca varieties? I checked Keefer and they had some glauca but were stupid expensive ($250 for very small trees). Durham Garden Center had a gorgeous tree but it was bonsai style and almost $500.

Was hoping to find something in 3 gallon size for ~$100 or so and would prefer local vs ordering online.
I don’t see any on posted availability sheets here. You could try calling Greensboro shrub nursery as they do not list their west coast ornamentals online.

They do have a dwarf Eastern white pine ‘blue shag’ but it’s not a Pinus parviflora. Pinus strobes rather

Panther creek would have been my go to by Keefer but none listed. This is what they show in the pinus family
DB544CEE-6E05-40CE-A297-A76EB8DC245F.jpeg

Not sure when I can make it but I’ll try and get by GSO shrub, Spiveys, and call Gossett’s up here. Spiveys may have something similar in a scotch pine. The place I worked has changed ownership and has winter hours still but will try and s wing by to inquire but they aren’t the cheapest

Tell me something, is this normal for bananas to actually produce bananas in North Carolina

My backyard today.
View attachment 3040719View attachment 3040720

To late for that bunch ^^^

Once the rows of flower buds drop away from the stalk, cut the flower stalk off a few inches below the last row of set flowers.

If you don't cut the flower off, the tree will put all it's energy into the flower, and your fruit won't develop.

Bananas grown in a cooler climate can be delicious.
They grow slower and smaller, and tend to have more flavour and sweetness.

Such a late start…. hopefully will mature before frost
E010DEF8-9B07-420B-8398-F45DFC2940CD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom