The easiest way to get going with Techstream and Mini VCI cable: a virtual machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's pretty wasteful that each of us is duplicating, many times over, all the effort of installing and configuring Techstream and the Mini VCI drivers. It's sort of like if every one of us had to put together his own LC instead of just having one factory make them.

If one person can get the installation right, and package it up, then everyone else can just use that one installation, out-of-the-box.

A virtual machine or virtual appliance lets you do exactly that. You package up an entire computer setup into one file, and then whoever downloads that file can run that entire computer on their computer, using a host program like Oracle Virtualbox or VMWare Player.

What I'm saying is -- my brother has a virtual machine with Techstream 13 and Mini VCI drivers. It's a 3 GB .ova file, to be used with Oracle Virtualbox. If someone has some way of creating a repository (torrent seed? Dropbox? or just a personal FTP site?) for members, my brother would be happy to give that person that working Techstream/Mini VCI file so everyone here could use Techstream without all the hassle.

A shared/public dropbox would do the trick.

What hardware is he running it on? Macs don't emulate Virtualbox properly to communicate over the USB port so that's out. VMware on macs don't work.

Since all Virtualbox is doing is emulating Windows XP to run the program, why is it necessary to have a virtualizer running on a windows machine in the first place?

Because not being a Mac doesn't mean a computer is Windows. It's Linux. And because a VM makes everything turnkey.

A shared/public dropbox would do the trick.

What hardware is he running it on? Macs don't emulate Virtualbox properly to communicate over the USB port so that's out. VMware on macs don't work.

Since all Virtualbox is doing is emulating Windows XP to run the program, why is it necessary to have a virtualizer running on a windows machine in the first place?
Works just fine and dandy on my Macbook pro, via USB. You do have to enable the USB port on VMWare so that the VM can see and use it.

Using the first post in this thread

Windows users need to run it as the drivers seems to only work on 32bit Windows, hence them running a 32 bit version of XP on the virtual machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom