The dreaded overpressure fuel tank! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been discusses ad nauseam, but today I drove the 55 to work…no issues. I left work around 12 and stopped by the store for about 20min. I came out to find gas pouring from my gas cap. I removed the cap to see fuel has backed up the fill hose. I hopped in and drove home about 4 miles away. When I got home it had stopped. About two hours later I drove one mile away to pick up my son from school. Drove one mile home. Went in the house and changed to work in the yard and came out to find the same issues…gas pouring out the cap. I had to siphon about 2-3 gallons out to get it to stop. The tank had been filled close to capacity about two days before. Now I understand why many early LCs have paint damage under the fill cap.

I recently removed my fuel tank and replaced all the hoses, i.e. All four tank vents to the evaporator, new fill, new over flow, and new post evaporator vent through the check valve and on to connect the undercarriage metal hose up to the charcoal canister. Under the hood the hose connects to the canister and the exit hose is connected to nothing…the evaporator piping system is not connected and the exit hose does not go into the manifold for clearing.

I have read posts all evening about corrections for this issues. The doesn’t seem To be any real consistency of solution. Some say Delete the charcoal filter and vent to atmosphere (VTA). Some say swap the “to tank” and “to manifold” hoses on the charcoal canister. Some say to buy an aftermarket canister from auto zone.

I have checked the canister by blowing air in each side and there is free flow of air in both directions. I have blown air from the hose end under the hood back towards the tank with the fuel cap off and air move freely…although it was a little though to do by mouth. So I believe their is a free flow of air in all directions.

I know the fuel cap is rubbish with a bad seal, but regardless fuel should not back fill up the fill hose With proper venting. Being new to the FJ world I am at a loss on what to do. However I am not a fan of driving a vehicle around that dumps gas at every stop.

When properly connected to the manifold does the manifold actively “pull” air and vapors from the canister? If so can I bypass the piping system and reconnect the hose to the manifold? Will bypassing the piping system cause the manifold to attempt to pull liquid fuel up to the manifold? Can some one snap a pic of where the hose from the piping system actually attaches to the manifold? The Hayes manual doesn’t provide the best detail.
F4C66E15-7DB4-4037-8775-54680270555F.jpeg
09B71DDE-7AF6-42C0-8E6C-95C3ECD6E5AF.jpeg

What model year is your 55? If you don’t have one, you can get a copy of the factory emissions fsm from Specter off road for like 30 bucks. Obviously you’re desmogged, and as stated you’ll want this part of it to function properly.

What model year is your 55? If you don’t have one, you can get a copy of the factory emissions fsm from Specter off road for like 30 bucks. Obviously you’re desmogged, and as stated you’ll want this part of it to function properly.
1974. Is it better than the Hayes description?

Mine just vents to atmosphere now, has for years.
1974 FJ55

20220506_075138.jpg

So apparently mine is doing that also since all the connections at the tank are correct And the hose from the rear evaporator collector runs all the way up to the front and runs into the canister. The exit canister hose is connected to nothing. So why am I having an overpressure? Is it because my gas cap is bad and therefore it’s easier for it to just run up and pushed out of the cap versus running out the long tube under the hood?

I’m my images I circled a closed off port on the manifold. What is that for?

Do you have a fuel return line?

Do you have a fuel return line?
A fuel return line from the motor or carburetor back to the gas tank? I do not believe so. There is a metal one on the passenger side below the engine that is capped off. Where would that run back to on the tank? When I pulled the tank out to redo all the hosing it looks like all the lines were accounted for as far as connections on the tank. Four vent lines, two overflow, one fill line and one supply line to the carburetor.

FWIW, being able to blow thru the line does not mean that pressure in tank will go thru. If it is pressurizing then clearly the vent does not free flow air. My guess is that the charcoal can or the seperator out back have some fluid in there that creates a "P - trap" effect.

FWIW, being able to blow thru the line does not mean that pressure in tank will go thru. If it is pressurizing then clearly the vent does not free flow air. My guess is that the charcoal can or the seperator out back have some fluid in there that creates a "P - trap" effect.
Yeah I’m just following the testing procedure outlined in some of the manuals to be able to see if you can move air through. I agree there’s something blocking it up, I recently removed the separator when I replaced all the hosing and of course it was fine at the time.

What do you recommend?

If it's not going to need smog then I would lose the seperatotr, run a tank vent to the charcoal can and put a little breather/air filter on the other nipple of charcoal can. The unhooked hose off yours went to the air cleaner at one time, not that egr port thats capped on the carb. Need to confirm the hoses are correct at tank, a return, a evap vent, & a fill neck vent.

If it's not going to need smog then I would lose the seperatotr, run a tank vent to the charcoal can and put a little breather/air filter on the other nipple of charcoal can. The unhooked hose off yours went to the air cleaner at one time, not that egr port thats capped on the carb. Need to confirm the hoses are correct at tank, a return, a evap vent, & a fill neck vent.
Are you free for a phone call? 803-608-6920

Scott

A '74 would have had a fuel return line from the carb, would travel back to the tank through that extra hard line on the passenger side. Is that capped right by the clutch slave? It would run into the tank right next to the fuel outlet.

20220506_093322.jpg

I'm thinking that you have an earlier 55 fuel tank.
Earlier than '74 anyway. Probably designed to go with the older 2 piece bilateral vapor seperators.
I have no idea how or if they worked or what each of your corner hoses do. Are they all vents? Could you get some kind of endoscope insde the tank to map it out? Or just blow air in each and see if you can hear bubbles? I wonder if two later vapor seperators, bilaterally located would help?
I have a fuel return line, stock, and it pressurizes my fuel tank. I think it's normal. I can hear my fuel cap vent sometimes. It whistles when it's hot.
I might start with a known good venting fuel cap.
I don't know how your tank, without a return line, is generating pressure enough to expell gas, temperature change? Maybe another gas cap can bleed off pressure slowly to avoid liquid burps

Looks like a Weber which wouldn't use a return line right
Probably true. But a clever PO might have plumbed in a fuel pump return line. But if the hard line is capped, probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom