The Dreaded Click,, except for one spot on ignition,,, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my daily driver 88 FJ62 has been starting & running like a dream for many, many months (mayb it was a dream) last week when i turned the key, I had nothing but a click, then would do again & it would start,,
after a week of this i went to start & nothing but a click,,, no crank,, I cleaned battery terminals (battery is less than a yr old), checked connections at starter & still the same,,, no start,, on a little research someone said they WD-40 the lock cylinder & fixed,, idk,,, but I sprayed some contact cleaner & WD with a little help from a compressor, when I went to turn key I hesitated & heard it catch at spot about a 1/8 turn from all the way,, if i nurse it to that spot,,, it starts,,, now I am not sure if that was the case before the WD,, because if i do it with out zeroing in on that spot,, it just clicks,,
the lock cylinder seems pretty tight & would hate to change as doors are all keyed the same,, My next thing was going to b testing the ignition relay by the fuse box,, and testing starting with jumping starter, It seems like alot of issues & false trails on this situation,, anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Thank you

I would get someone to help confirm that the "click" is coming from the starter relay (integrated into the starter). If it is actually clicking (switching) then I don't think the problem is with your ignition switch. I suppose it could still be making a noise but not fully switching, but it seems unlikely.

You can take the electrical part of the ignition switch apart to try and clean it (I have done it) but there are not really any replacement parts, except to replace the whole switch.

I would get someone to help confirm that the "click" is coming from the starter relay (integrated into the starter). If it is actually clicking (switching) then I don't think the problem is with your ignition switch. I suppose it could still be making a noise but not fully switching, but it seems unlikely.

You can take the electrical part of the ignition switch apart to try and clean it (I have done it) but there are not really any replacement parts, except to replace the whole switch.
Funny, I've been having this intermittent problem too. Usually starts just fine, but sometimes I just get the "click". I was thinking that click was the solenoid engagement, but the starter wasn't spinning. If I try it a few more times, it usually starts right up.

Hit the starter with a hammer and see if she starts, might be all its needs until you replace the solenoid or starter itself

before you hit the starter with a hammer you might try jumping 12v from the batter to the solenoid and see if it starts. If it does start then you know its a problem with the circuit between the key and the starter. If it clicks when you jump it then you either have a solenoid problem or a starter problem.....or you have a battery issue...but if the battery is reading 12.6v and doesnt drop in voltage too low when cranking the battery is probably fine. If you crank and it clicks try jumping the battery and seeing if it still clicks or if it starts no problem

If your problem is NOT the switch,,,,,If the solenoid IS actuating,,,,The contacts that the starter solenoid connects can get burnt and beat up to the point they won't carry enough current to turn the starter. They can be cleaned up or replaced. requires dismantling the starter but cheaper than starter replacement.

before you hit the starter with a hammer you might try jumping 12v from the batter to the solenoid and see if it starts. If it does start then you know its a problem with the circuit between the key and the starter. If it clicks when you jump it then you either have a solenoid problem or a starter problem.....or you have a battery issue...but if the battery is reading 12.6v and doesnt drop in voltage too low when cranking the battery is probably fine. If you crank and it clicks try jumping the battery and seeing if it still clicks or if it starts no problem
Turned out my battery was 64 months old. It would charge but wouldn't hold its charge very well. I was impressed, so replaced it with another Napa Legend. I'm happy now

Just replaced my Odyssey Red Top. It was 108 months old. Just starting to get tired.

If the starter clicks the. You know the key is ok. What you don’t know is if the ignition circuit is supplying enough voltage to fire the solenoid properly. Can be a battery issue or an aged high resistance wire issue.

Before you blindly start rebuilding things or hammering on the starter, get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the starter solenoid when you get your clicking/no crank issue. If it is low (less than 8 volts), you need to find out why. I'm not sure about the 62 wiring, but my 60 has all the solenoid current going though the ignition switch, which eventually degrades the contacts and gives the symptoms you describe. If the ignition switch is the problem, just add an auxiliary relay into the circuit, where the ignition switch picks up the relay, which then provides the current to the starter solenoid. There are several threads about adding the relay. I had to do this with my 60 after the 1HZ was installed, since the diesel starter solenoid draws over 17 amps. If you have 10 or more volts at the starter when you hear the click, then the contacts in the starter probably need to be cleaned or replaced. A fairly easy and inexpensive job.

I've had the starter click on three Land Cruisers (and one mid 80's Supra) and replacing the starter contacts has fixed it every time. Easy and cheap fix. What I found is that one contact gets worn way down compared to the other. I replace both contacts and keep the good one for a spare. Like I said, worked for me but YMMV.

I ordered a contact & plunger kit,,, & an ignition relay,, in the mean time after cleaning starter as good as possible prior to removal it seems that I am starting the truck easer than before,,, just not turning column switch all the way, if I do the quick turn all the way,, I just get the click,,
Regardless,,, I plan to do the starter rebuild went parts arrive,, & try to end the Russian roulette start

Got the new relay,, did nothing, today I took off the starter & found the un even wear on the contacts & replaced & new plunger,, started up,, no click 👍

1E600FD1-A238-4572-B4D3-D2697261EC62.jpeg

58C6015F-3F8C-4D41-870C-5A36345BC84D.jpeg

02BD0674-C289-47BC-A25C-33C997077526.jpeg

I got hunch that I will be doing the same soon. Yesterday my clutch master desired to pee on my floor mat.. one piece at a time I'm getting a new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom