The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the ovens and have used them significantly. Lasagne, cookies, all work great in the camp oven. But since most things bake 45 minutes or so, they do use up a lot of fuel. Normally a full tank of CF will last me close to a week. Add a lasagne dinner and it takes 2 tanks to make a week! Just be aware and plan accordingly. They work better that you think. Just don't think the thermometer is a thermometer. According to Coleman it is a "heat indicator" and it's numbers are not close to anything real.
I keep looking at these, and seeing them during our antique store runs. I need to just get one, and dabble with it. Love the idea of baking cookies in the mountains.

The cheap folding Coleman oven is a must! I broke down and bought a new one 5 years ago and wonder how I got along without it. Biscuits, crescent rolls, french bread, and cobbler are game changers at camp.

Coleman oven Cobbler
  • 1 8x8 aluminum pan
  • 1 can fruit (pie style) filling
  • 1/4 box white cake mix
  • 6-10oz of Sprite
Fill aluminum pan with fruit filling. Cover filling with cake mix. Top with Sprite. DO NOT MIX. Cook in Coleman oven with rack 1 notch below 1/2 with heat indicator at 300 for about 30 minutes, or until the cake mix has turned crusty and the pie filling is bubbly. Burn your knuckles trying to get the flimsy aluminum pan out of the oven without spilling and enjoy.

Can you date these things like stoves and lanterns? Looks like the new ones are all stainless and the old ones were black with a gold door?

The cheap folding Coleman oven is a must! I broke down and bought a new one 5 years ago and wonder how I got along without it. Biscuits, crescent rolls, french bread, and cobbler are game changers at camp.

Coleman oven Cobbler
  • 1 8x8 aluminum pan
  • 1 can fruit (pie style) filling
  • 1/4 box white cake mix
  • 6-10oz of Sprite
Fill aluminum pan with fruit filling. Cover filling with cake mix. Top with Sprite. DO NOT MIX. Cook in Coleman oven with rack 1 notch below 1/2 with heat indicator at 300 for about 30 minutes, or until the cake mix has turned crusty and the pie filling is bubbly. Burn your knuckles trying to get the flimsy aluminum pan out of the oven without spilling and enjoy.
You had me at Coleman oven Cobbler. I'm definitely getting one now haha.

Are the old yellow lantern cases a valuable commodity? I picked up a couple lanterns a bit ago and havent touched them, moving soon so decided to just sell them.

Are the old yellow lantern cases a valuable commodity? I picked up a couple lanterns a bit ago and havent touched them, moving soon so decided to just sell them.
Apparently. I've seen these for as much as 40-50 bucks on Craigslist in my area. probably overpriced though.

Putting the ‘ol 426 to good use. Making a Georgia recipe called Brunswick stew.

88D2252B-6056-4E7F-89C8-087B94078DBE.jpeg

E436F855-8A07-420E-AE90-3E68C32DC43A.jpeg

0BB4C603-C30D-4D9F-9E41-7AE1E9A271FA.jpeg

FleaBay before they got so dang popular. It was a few years ago but I think he was asking 35 and took my offer of 25 for the set including shipping. They are quite solid too. I'll bet they were originally about 9.99 new.

My dads old Coleman at work making breakfast yesterday. I found this thing in his attic stored full of fuel for 25+ years. Fired right up with the old fuel. That’s when I decided It would work for me. $10 in parts later and away we go. It’s a very faithful companion when my wife isn’t setting it on fire.

7B9E4C1B-FEF5-4A7A-A760-87A5A640C395.jpeg

Setting it on fire is just like a hug for these old beasts....

My dads old Coleman at work making breakfast yesterday. I found this thing in his attic stored full of fuel for 25+ years. Fired right up with the old fuel. That’s when I decided It would work for me. $10 in parts later and away we go. It’s a very faithful companion when my wife isn’t setting it on fire.

View attachment 2123937

Nice view and nice boomstick.

Setting it on fire is just like a hug for these old beasts....
First campstove I ever used was an old MSR Whisperlite International and I thought “Hey this is just like a campfire!”. I still chuckle at all the people who didn’t saw a word.

Forgot to post last week's Craigslist find from here in Phoenix ... I found one of the older Coleman Camp Kitchens with the fold up 2-level table, sink, racks and hooks for stuff, checkers and backgammon board on the top in its original bag on local Craigslist. I'll post up some pics later. Even had the original game pieces, dice, and "how to play backgammon" pamphlet from Coleman.

Forgot to post last week's Craigslist find from here in Phoenix ... I found one of the older Coleman Camp Kitchens with the fold up 2-level table, sink, racks and hooks for stuff, checkers and backgammon board on the top in its original bag on local Craigslist. I'll post up some pics later. Even had the original game pieces, dice, and "how to play backgammon" pamphlet from Coleman.
Sounds like an awesome find! And I definitely need to see photographic evidence.

Lastly, I found a Chinese company on FleaBay that makes these pretty good quality soft padded cases for lanterns, single burner stoves etc. They are super cheap and pretty good quality. I'll look for a link.

IMG_4538.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom