The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are 242s a lot brighter than 200s? I'd like something that will fit inside my 426. I can find 200s fairly easy and relatively affordable. I can only find 242s on ebay commanding typical ebay prices right now.

Are 242s a lot brighter than 200s? I'd like something that will fit inside my 426. I can find 200s fairly easy and relatively affordable. I can only find 242s on ebay commanding typical ebay prices right now.

242s are considered by some to be the best lantern Coleman ever made. Without looking I would say they are rated the same output but seems 242's run a little brighter. Some guys say it's due to the cast burner chamber versus the stamped metal pieces on the 200a. You wouldn't notice the difference unless they were side by side.

I say get a 200a and run it. Keep your eye out for a 242 I've been lucky and never paid more than $15 I don't think. But that's before prices went haywire.

Another Craigslist find and a big thanks to @NC LX for grabbing it for me.

View attachment 1924841
Anytime. Seeing it makes me want to start my own collection. That’s exactly what I need. Something else to spend money on with time I don’t have. My wife is gonna be thrilled. :)

Thanks! How do you determine the date of these?
in this case the steel handle or aluminum tells me it's older than my 1970s plastic handled model. they're not dated that I know of like the coolers, lanterns and stoves.

Not always accurate, but read any paperwork, including the box for a date. Many times you find something.

Noob question. Is there any difference between these fuels and am I ok to run any of them in a vintage stove or lantern? I already have the MSR fuel and just bought the coleman fuel because I wasn't sure.

Any white gas is fine, IMO. I use the Crown since it is almost half the price of Coleman branded fuel.

I thought you distilled your own...

👍

@Cruiserdrew shot that video when he ran out of Coleman fuel in BFE Nevada and needed to cook breakfast.

That dude is the Coleman whisperer...

That thing is really nice. What griddle is that? The WalMart one with the ribbing on the underside? That's perfect as you have room for the griddle and the coffee percolator. 426's are awesome.

Yeah that sounds like it. I've had it a few years, I think it's a Lodge piece but can't remember. I easy off'd it and reseasoned in the oven about a year ago but hadn't really used it since. It cooked well this weekend.

I see reference to what l believe is lantern fitting inside the stove case , is that accurate?
I had never thought of that or seen pictures.

Please post some more photos of this

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom