The Coleman Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huh! I didn't think I'd like anything other than a factory color but the flat black looks good!

What paint did you use ?
...I work at a powder coating shop...so it’s been advantageous for my Coleman Addiction.
Tiger Drylac Matte Black Anodized Effect is the black.
The tan is a Federal Standard Mil-spec color, I forget the exact number at the moment.
The lantern vent is a high temp black texture that after extensive testing in my yard/lab, has proven to work well. I also put this finish on the bunson and wind shields on the stove. It’s cleanable, and I feel better about possible flame ups. 🔥

Forgot to post up this one last month.
It’s the companion lantern to go with the 425 stove I fixed up for my uncle.

21A271E2-33A2-48A4-B964-B0EC4C38FEFC.jpeg

I didn't even think of powder coat, but of course it's a prefect application for these old Colemans. I like the beige too.

Last edited:
Axial is way cool! A rabbit hole I don't dare to go down. :D

Right, it;s like the real thing. Need to upgrade this and add that to make it do more.

Scored both these stoves at a local antique store today for $7 a piece. Ones a 425D the other a 425C. Neither one had a tank but I plan on using them with propane. They’re a little dinged up and have seen their share of use but both are solid and I couldn’t leave them there for that price.

Last edited:
What's a good first vintage coleman lantern? I know nothing about these. Seems like I can find old lanterns on CL or ebay easily, I just don't know what to look for. I like the 275 pictured earlier. Would be cool to have something from '76.

They're all good even the ones manufactured today (as long as they are meant to use Coleman fuel.) Starting with the 275 they started to use plastic parts internally. Really not an issue that's just when the change began.

"Green" lanterns are a dime a dozen. Doesn't mean they're bad just very very common. You can't go wrong with a 220/228 of any vintage. I would grab one of these for $12 or $15 to cut your teeth on. Guaranteed to run like a champ once you've gone through it.

Single mantel lanterns (200A) are cool too but prices are up because they are hot right now. Nothing wrong with a 275 if that's what you wan't. Years ago I turned one down for $20 that had never been run. Just not my thing.

Just grab one cheap, play with it and you'll be addicted.

Have fun.

As promised, here's my brood of night lights. These are all from my family...probably all bought by my dad over the years. He was a helluva outdoorsman as a young man, I'm guessing a couple of these lights have been on many a flounder gigging trip with my mom and dad.

All things patina'd....
View attachment 1598202

View attachment 1598203

From left to right:
-242A: date? (Pyrex globe)
-200: 4-'57 (made in Canada) Pyrex globe says made in USA
-200A: 3-'62 (with original box which is a little rough)
-220F: 1964
-288: 6-'85
-295-700T: 01-'99

I want to get all of these 100% functional and as clean as possible while maintaining proper patina.

Are you by any chance the guy selling some old coleman stuff in spring branch on Houston CL?

No sir, not me. Maybe I should look that guy up though, haha. Was just thinking about this thread again the other day as I was looking at my Coleman's last week in the garage.

He’s asking $25 for a 220f with a case. Looks like it’s all there. Unknown year, don’t know if it works. I think I’m gonna buy it and see what this is all about.

What's a good first vintage coleman lantern? I know nothing about these. Seems like I can find old lanterns on CL or ebay easily, I just don't know what to look for. I like the 275 pictured earlier. Would be cool to have something from '76.
200a, 220, or 228 are the usual suspects. I like my 220...

t002VQe.jpg

Found this locally, asking $75 but I'm sure they'll negotiate. I think it's a 200A. They can't seem to send a clear picture of any part of it so I don't know the year. Any guesses? What do yall think it's worth?

Google Terry Marsh Coleman to find an awesome resource for all Coleman products plus brands other than Coleman.

Looking at the decal that's older maybe early 60s. You get a better idea from Terry's site. The reflector is cheap and not Coleman. Got the little sparker lighter.

The vent looks nice not too beat up. 200As are hot now. That's a fair eBay price I'd try to talk them down. That's a good buy at $50.

Terry's site says maybe 1960. You know the date is stamped into the bottom of every o e of these?

Picked this up on the cheap today. Nothing super nice or cool but for $6 bucks I couldn’t say no. Never been used, pans are still in the plastic and still has the red nylon travel bag.

146775BE-87D6-4546-9D56-C393C8600866.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom