The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks great. Nice save from the rust monster.

You'll get 30 more years out of that, not really a waste of time!

Let's see some flame shots.

Not a waste of time, just more time then I thought it would take, but once I started I got into it and started making it as pretty as I could instead of just better.

Doesn't work yet. I think the leather cup is dead. I couldn't pressurize it the other day. I don't really know anything about these, this is the first one I've owned, but it's simple enough it's not like there is much to break. I am going to order a leather cup tonight and see if that works.

Tomorrow I'm going to finish up a few little things and I might steal the plunger off one of the lanterns and see if I can get it to work.

Take some grease or oil and smear it on the leather cup, and try it again. The rubber replacements are OK, but don't last forever. It may also be the tank cap. There is a seal in it too.

Take some grease or oil and smear it on the leather cup, and try it again. The rubber replacements are OK, but don't last forever. It may also be the tank cap. There is a seal in it too.

I agree, the leather cups come back to life very quickly. I always use cooking oil on mine since it's always on hand when I'm using the stove.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

Neatsfoot oil, and the leather cups will outlive you.

31Zocwi4T1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I will have to try the oil and see what happens. Thanks.

I just bought another one. A Coleman 3H. Thing is HEAVY and really old looking, it's got a huge tank, and it's all copper colored instead of stainless or painted. Trying to upload pictures right now, but it looks like it was used once ever. Really good shape. Got it for $8 at a thriftstore.

563704_4629353096743_1019150899_n_zpsd39ef5e7.jpg

Last edited:
That's cool. If you want to sell, I'd buy it from you.

The Everdur tank was quite the tech marvel in it's day.

I like the fact that the burners and manifold are cast.

Nice work grabbing that.

578292_4629421498453_274150157_n_zpsb5f8a4bb.jpg

You have no idea how upset my dog was with me for lighting this in the house. The look on her face was sooooo funny. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!! I did stink of the house...

But it started right up, took me a few minutes to figure out how to start it as I've never owned a liquid fuel stove before, but it works great. I also did some research and found that it a lot older then I thought... 1920's or 30's. Very cool. I'm super excited. Make the fact my wife's car blew a head gasket this week a little less painful. :)

I'm putting together a bunch of old school camping stuff. We do a bit of car camping (with parents and friends without 4x4s) and to me car camping is boring as hell... so I figured I could make it more fun if we used all old school camping gear. I am slowly collecting stuff to use in my FJ55 for exactly that. This will be fun for car camping trips... don't want to risk damaging it in wheeling trips.

which white gas lantern?

I have watched the local Craigslist for older lanterns that uses white gas...most are far enough away that I would end up using a tank of gas($70).

Ended up ordering a new Coleman Two mantel dual fuel power house lantern for $63 delivered. I opened the box and where the (metal tube connects to the base inside the glass) it was severely rusted. So I sent it back. :doh:

Any thoughts on the following lanterns? The primary use is for my family (young children) while camping. More than likely we will hang the lantern from a tree while tent camping.

Coleman Two-Mantle Dual Fuel Powerhouse Lantern $63(could try another!)
Coleman 285-700 Two-mantle Dual-Fuel Lantern $59
Coleman NorthStar Dual Fuel InstaStart Lantern $114(mucho dinero)

Any of those will be fine, they're all great lanterns (I have all three) , but my fav is the Northstar. Only one I take camping, now (with a backup 200A).

Fav because it's bright, very adjustable, and lights easily with the piezo starter. Takes tube mantels, though.

I like the powerhouse. It has a larger tank, but it is bigger overall, too. I have a propane Northstar and it is bright, but almost blinding. I prefer the glow of the white gas lanterns.

Yeah, I have an amber globe on the Northstar...

I'd keep looking on Craigslist. Great lanterns come up all the time for $20. Go to a yard sale and get one of the lanterns that made Coleman famous.

Remember too, that the singles through nearly as much light as a double (besides the Northstar) and typically are smaller, and a bit more fuel efficient.

In my opinion, the mid 50s, through the late 60s will be your best bet if you want to tinker a bit and go though it.

If you have to get a new one, get a 295 Powerhouse. I've had a 295 since 1993 and it works great. Here's a pic:

Coleman 295 001 (480x640).jpg

Drew, Spike Strip, JBsax,

I appreciate the help. Thinking of trying another 295 Powerhouse, and I will keep looking for a used one.

In 2001 I aquired a Northstar at Costco...it had a Yellow globe. Where can I purchase a yellow/amber globe for the 295 Powerhouse?

Going camping the first week in April, headed to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park in Florida. My Coleman lantern has a bit of an issue.

I works fine, pumps up fine and burns great. Holds pressure fine. The problem I am having is after I pump the tank pressure up and I remove my thumb from over the hole the pressure leaks out. Supposed to get just a small puff of air but this does not stop. I have to hold my thumb over the hole while I tighten it down, then it's fine.

I have oiled it and soaked it in oil for a good long while now. There is a small valve or flap at the bottom of the pump that is supposed to keep this air from escaping correct? Is it the round leather flap that is at the bottom or another valve. Been a while since I have opened it up.

Going camping the first week in April, headed to St. Joseph Peninsula State Park in Florida. My Coleman lantern has a bit of an issue.

I works fine, pumps up fine and burns great. Holds pressure fine. The problem I am having is after I pump the tank pressure up and I remove my thumb from over the hole the pressure leaks out. Supposed to get just a small puff of air but this does not stop. I have to hold my thumb over the hole while I tighten it down, then it's fine.

I have oiled it and soaked it in oil for a good long while now. There is a small valve or flap at the bottom of the pump that is supposed to keep this air from escaping correct? Is it the round leather flap that is at the bottom or another valve. Been a while since I have opened it up.

There is a ball bearing check valve down at the bottom of the pump tube. They can stick. I have had great success filling the pump tube with carb cleaner and letting it sit over night. Then use the pump to push the cleaner through the mechanism.

You can get the check valve out, but usually you just mangle them without the proper tool. Try the carb cleaner first, it usually works, just takes some time.

This actually one of the genius inventions of Coleman. There is a check valve, it's metal, AND the safety of screwing down the air stem. A lot of European stoves have a check valve that fails and no safety of the air stem. Plus, the valve seat is cork and just dries out and fails.

Last edited:
Well that worked.

I soaked the ball bearing check valve at the bottom of the pump housing over night in carb cleaner. It was still stuck the next day. I then soaked it a few more hours and worked the bearing around gently with a dental pick tool. This was recommended on this site;

http://colemancollectorsforum.websitetoolbox.com/

That freed it up and I oiled it all up and it now works great. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom