The case against high offset wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off when I reference “high offset wheels” I am referring to my SCS BR6 -38 wheels. These are 17” diameter & 9” wide. Also I have had many rigs with many different wheel/tire setups. I knew the pros & cons of wheel offset before going into this but I tend to order parts with aesthetics at the top of my requirement list.

Pros-
The BR6’s are a great looking wheel. The -38 offset looks killer. It has a nice deep dish & gives me a awesome wide stance. Drives great on the street.
Cons-
The awesome wide stance sticks my tire about 1.5” outside of my wheel well. This thing can pick up a piece of gravel at 50mph, throw it 50 ft out in front of my truck then I catch it with my windshield. Also every puddle or wet spot on the street requires another trip threw the car wash. I’m running 35/12.5/17’s on my Lexus. With the deep dish wheel that big tire has a massive swing while moving threw the steering cycle. It required a LOT of trimming to get the truck to where tires do not rub. Granted there was going to be trimming, but the offset wheels Exasturbated that. I live on a gravel road, in Nebraska, it’s winter. With these wide ass wheels the amount of steering feedback or pull when you get to some soft material on the side of the road is significant. Out snow wheeling the other night I really really had to drive the s*** out of my rig to keep it on the road. Hopped into my cousins Land Cruiser with stock wheels & it just drove straight, no pull. With my 35’s & all of that offset I can not stuff my rear tire. Every little balance issue is more pronounced. The strain on front end parts & steering components is increased.

In conclusion, I love my wheels, they look dope & give my truck an awesome stance... but, I am going to get rid of them I’m favor of a wheel with less offset. For me the cons far outweigh the pros. This rig is for wheeling, not cruising Main Street. If it were just a daily I’d keep the dish.

good summary, thanks

So what offset and back space are you gonna run. Are there pics of this awesome stance?!

I agree. I had spacers on my pizza cutters and OEM wheels which brought them out pretty much flush, but same issues with throwing up mud and stuff everywhere.

Took em off, now theyre sunk back in, but I am just going to embrace function over form.

The SCS wheels also come in a -10 offset. I think that may be the ticket. The -38 is just too much. -10 may be too little.🤷🏼‍♂️

FFBA75CD-550F-405D-B3CB-51CCA0C2485B.jpeg

5594ABF4-7998-42F4-B7AD-5C69792C0A66.jpeg

241254B1-0E2B-4F5C-8D57-E85D59EA5575.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom