The Car Care Nut talks about 80s. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet

I remember when these were still considered expensive luxury barges that were too top heavy for serious off-roading. Anybody who'd take these on a trail that was gnarlier than a dirt or gravel road was insane. One of they guys in my 4x4 club bought one new and was very much saying: Now, wait a minute! these things have credibility! How things have changed...

I remember when these were still considered expensive luxury barges that were too top heavy for serious off-roading. Anybody who'd take these on a trail that was gnarlier than a dirt or gravel road was insane. One of they guys in my 4x4 club bought one new and was very much saying: Now, wait a minute! these things have credibility! How things have changed...
It's funny, my mom and I were talking about this the other day...

Context: We've always had Cruisers in the family. When I was 4 (1981), we had an FJ40...a few years later, we had another. Dad then wanted something "more comfortable" , See: bigger because he'd put on a bit of weight, so he bought a 1983, one owner FJ60 that to this day is wholly stock (except for the Kenwood tape deck and speakers he installed)...Anyways, as she explained it, when dad bought that 60 series (in 1997), they were out for a drive and saw a new 80 series and they BOTH commented that "No one will ever take that pretty of a rig out on a trail"

Now, she's excited to see what my '97 ends up looking like after owning it for seven-ish years.

Once I'm done, I have the 60 that's in her drive way to baseline and give some life ;)

Top heavy to wheel...NO!
IMG_6998.jpeg

I love how much this guy loves 80s. I'm sold. Time to buy a 4th.
My beloved truck above is for sale!

I'd buy it if I had a place to keep it indoors.

Toyota should have dusted off the original design plans for the 80 series, updated the drivetrain and all the other systems, cut some weight here and there, maybe added a few slight changes to the body panels, and started making them all over again for 2024. I know, Toyota likely had to cut production costs to hit some retail price goal, cut a lot of weight for better MPG, shared platforms, ----.

Last edited:
You guys wheel your 80s, that's nuts; especially if it's a Lexus.

I keep thinking about an 80 series, but for current prices for low mileage units, I think I'd like to get a JDM or Euro import HDJ-80/1.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about an 80 series, but for current prices for low mileage units, I think I'd like to get a JDM or Euro import HDJ-81.

81 is JDM-only. 80 in the rest of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom