the 3B is starting to get more blow by (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
I noticed a fairly large black stain under where I normally park the truck, so I looked under and freaked out. The front drive shaft is soaked and dripping oil, the bottom of the bell housing is soaked and also dripping a little, the transmission cross member is soaked and so is the skid plate. I'm not sure how long this has been going on but after a little test of routing a hose from the blow by to the side and noticing that it has already covered a small area with oil as well as the drips of oil coming out if, I can only assume it has been about a week and a half, maybe 2 tops.
So, has anyone tested the pressure of the blow by? anyone know what is stock (or close to) and what is "I'm looking at an expensive rebuild"?
How much is too much?
I'm beginning to wonder if I should turn down the turbo from it's max of 13PSI, the oil pressure is still good, at idle, regular operating temps, it has 20 PSI, at about 2500RPM it has 70PSI. I'm thinking of checking the compression again, after the turbo was rebuilt (again) about a couple months back the readings were 420, 410, 420, 420.
Before the turbo rebuild the blow by wasn't that bad, after I upped the boost and recently (past 3 weeks) I've been putting a lot of kilometers on it going out to West Van for work and back to PoCo. So the truck has had daily driving, mostly on the highway (after rush hour). I'm thinking the pressure might be too much for the rings, after all I'm looking at 532,000kms on the old girl.
Thoughts?

Catch Can time? Maybe it has been doing it for a while, and didn't start leaking until now. I've seen the blow by oil embrittle a pliable rubber hose into hard plastic with the consistency of charcoal.

Mine consumes oil a bit now that we upped the boost from 11 - 14.5. I was advised not to be too concerned about it.

My engine is NA and the front drive shaft is always a shiny but I never get enough oil that I have a drip.

With your compression good, I don't think it's big concern (other than the mess).

Put a catch can in and check it after a few days and see. Empty the can, then turn down boost and run it for a few days and check how much oil is in the can. See if it makes a difference.

I would also suggest the catch can... oh wait.. a 5gal catch bucket in your case lol
Just buy my truck already...

I may be mistaken, but the 13BT compression ratios (17:1) are lower than the 3B (20:1), I assume to compensate for the turbo boost. So 13 psi on a 3B is harder on a 13BT. So if you are pushing oil past the rings, I would turn down the boost to about 5 psi, which is the stock 13BT boost and use heavier oil (20W50).
That 3B owes you nothing, so maybe you should start looking for a replacement engine, maybe a 6 cyl. - ready to go in when the old lady says she has had enough. These issues can cause much anxiety when they happen at the wrong time (e.g. July T-Case. before Mackenzie). My $0.02 worth.

Marcin, like I keep telling you, I don't have $30,000.....and bite me :D
Glenn, I'm looking, for a 13BT ( I prefer the simplicity and reliability of those), and 5PSI in my truck is not noticable, actually I don't notice a difference until 10PSI, which is where the waste gate on this turbo kicks in normally.
I't blow by, after I wiped everything down I ran the truck again with a hose routing the blowby to the side and the previously wet areas are dry, the issue not comes out of the hose.
I'll be doing a catch can very soon, and turning down the boost to 10PSI.

A little hydrocarbons didn't hurt anyone. I say crank up to 15psi and heavy right foot!

A little hydrocarbons didn't hurt anyone. !

Too bad the fvrd don't agree, aircare got voted last week for 10 yr renewal :mad:.

Mat, hopefully the blowby isn't a symptom related to your other thread about how the truck has lost power since initially bolting up the turbo. But that is a lot of km's on the original pistons/bores/rings/lands.

I'm hoping it's not related as well but knowing my luck it is. I'll be testing some things once it stops raining again, but 532,000 on the old girl and I get the brilliant idea of giving it a turbo :rolleyes: might be pushing my luck.

How much oil is it using/blowing-by in say 1000 kms? If it is a liter or less, then just keep on driving but use a cheaper diesel oil - say a generic Wal Mart or Crappy Tire. If you are using synthetic, that could be increasing the blow-by. I know the one winter when I tried the Esso 0W30 all of a sudden I had oil disappearing. Switched back to my old dino and things went back to normal.

I would also suggest the catch can... oh wait.. a 5gal catch bucket in your case lol
Just buy my truck already...

Who is this Marcin guy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom