Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with you on keeping the option of having the ability to revert back to a people hauler when necessary, otherwise I'd be either looking at or designing my own drawer system or just use my wife's Taco or get rid of the GX and buy my own if I'm eliminating all the seating.
Couple of questions, one, when we're camping, our Pelican cases just stay out on the ground within our camp site. We never worry about them, even in bear country, albeit, we try to cleanup ALL food, scraps and anything with an food odor as much as possible. With all due respect, Is there a reason for putting your cases back on your rack for the night?
Two, is it usually/only just yourself sleeping in side?

I am a clean freak, if you haven't already deciphered that from the pics of my vehicles always being clean lol. It's partially that and partially that it always seems to be wet and muddy when we camp, especially this time of the year so I prefer to keep the boxes out of the mud which keeps it out of the back of my truck. They don't have to go on the roof at night but it's just a habit, a tidy space kind of thing and it helps for the late night potty breaks as I live with a walking nightmare clutzo woman lol. I can fit four 1650's and my Maxtrax on the roof all at once which is nice and that keeps the interior open for other soft good items or pets.

It's usually just myself sleeping inside for the majority of trips but the misses does join from time to time, maybe 25-40% of the trips we go on. Of those that she attends I'd say that half include some hotel or Air BnB/VRBO nights as well, she won't do more than two nights in camp. If it's just myself I only need one side of the vehicle in order to sleep inside but the entire vehicle is needed if she joins so flexibility is key. If Goose Gear eventually comes out with a full sleep system I am not opposed to eliminating the second row in favor of more storage and a better sleep setup, but I'd prefer to keep the second row readily available if at all possible.

Reactions: r2m
I had a little time this afternoon before leaving town for the weekend to mess with installing some of the sound deadening material. Short of having to cut out/around for the mounting hardware and wires, it was fairly easy. I only used two pieces of the Noico 80 mil material, I was lucky enough to be able to piece meal the scraps together on one side to fill in the gaps. I might add some more in the other exposed nooks and crannies as well as up and under the side panels later on, but for now it's a huge improvement over having nothing there. We drove to the ranch tonight and I couldn't believe the difference it made in terms of cutting down the road noise and the tininess of the sheetmetal.

jJoky3x.jpg

dbbEqfo.jpg

BzpS2Am.jpg

Hit the beach today with a buddy and his family. Love the opportunity to eat lunch ocean side.

XLSl04z.jpg

ynBoARz.jpg

rWmqHZa.jpg

Saw this super clean first gen 4Runner too, he said his wife hates it lol.

K7VgRzc.jpg

The Kaon Flush Flat Maxtrax Mounting Brackets for Rhino Rack, FrontRunner, Rola and Yakima racks finally arrived. They had been lost in the USPS wonderland for the past two weeks and the blizzard certainly didn't help matters lol. These mount flush to the Pioneer Platform rack (works with the others listed as well) and use Maxtrax mounting pins to attach the boards. Installation was a cinch and the pins aligned perfectly and the best part is that they are easily and quickly removed with just four allen key bolts. Now I can run four Pelican 1650's behind the Maxtrax for multi-day trips leaving the interior clear and free of clutter so that we can can sleep inside easily.

sj5iXey.jpg

ID8x6sB.jpg

6ZyUw6V.jpg

qiYk6cF.jpg

SKvjs3f.jpg

*Edit-Spoken for

FYI, I'll be removing my Slee Off-road ARB Dual Compressor mount soon which also works with the 5th Gen 4Runner. I am replacing it with a different version that allows for other items to mounted as well. PM me if you're interested in it before I list it for sale once it's removed.

Last edited:
The Kaon Flush Flat Maxtrax Mounting Brackets for Rhino Rack, FrontRunner, Rola and Yakima racks finally arrived. They had been lost in the USPS wonderland for the past two weeks and the blizzard certainly didn't help matters lol. These mount flush to the Pioneer Platform rack (works with the others listed as well) and use Maxtrax mounting pins to attach the boards. Installation was a cinch and the pins aligned perfectly and the best part is that they are easily and quickly removed with just four allen key bolts. Now I can run four Pelican 1650's behind the Maxtrax for multi-day trips leaving the interior clear and free of clutter so that we can can sleep inside easily.

sj5iXey.jpg

ID8x6sB.jpg

6ZyUw6V.jpg

qiYk6cF.jpg

SKvjs3f.jpg
I like those brackets! What did it run you total +shipping? I made my last set for $90.00 including powder coating. V2.0 was going to be a flat version of V1.0.

I like those brackets! What did it run you total +shipping? I made my last set for $90.00 including powder coating. V2.0 was going to be a flat version of V1.0.

$118 all in. I love the design, works well and lo-pro.

I installed the Victory 4x4 molle panel for the transmission tunnel/center stack/console today. I am not sure how I feel about it, the spacer orientation is odd due to the weird angle of the plastics. Once I get a new holster in for my EDC I'll mount it up and give it a whirl for a few weeks, sadly if I am not impressed it'll be too late to reverse it seeing how you have to drill into the plastics.

I think I am only going to run with one panel, the drivers side, which leaves me with a second that was supposed to mount on the passenger side. If anyone should want it drop me a PM and I'll sell it for a fair price.

dXSCR8j.jpg

Bummer, there really is just such limited space to get creative on where to place one’s EDC. My setup works for me, for now, but I’ve been looking for better ideas too.

Here’s how I run mine, cheap leather IWB with the clips flipped to the backside and force over the seat plastic. Draws well, holster stays put firmly, accessible from between the legs, easy to transfer discretely enough.

6C5A5D7A-3236-41ED-A7F5-1A29DEBCE013.jpeg

Last edited:
Bummer, there really is just such limited space to get creative on where to place one’s EDC. My setup works for me, for now, but I’ve been looking for better ideas too.

Here’s how I run mine, cheap leather IWB with the clips flipped to the backside and force over the seat plastic. Draws well, holster stays put firmly, accessible from between the legs, easy to transfer discretely enough.

View attachment 2601588
Do you have a better picture, detail?

I installed the Victory 4x4 molle panel for the transmission tunnel/center stack/console today. I am not sure how I feel about it, the spacer orientation is odd due to the weird angle of the plastics. Once I get a new holster in for my EDC I'll mount it up and give it a whirl for a few weeks, sadly if I am not impressed it'll be too late to reverse it seeing how you have to drill into the plastics.

I think I am only going to run with one panel, the drivers side, which leaves me with a second that was supposed to mount on the passenger side. If anyone should want it drop me a PM and I'll sell it for a fair price.

dXSCR8j.jpg
I was looking these the other day, seams to me you'd need a left hand holster?

I was looking these the other day, seams to me you'd need a left hand holster?

Yes, it will require a LH holster or one that can flip to either side. I have one en route so that it can live in the car full-time.

Do you have a better picture, detail?

Yeah, I think this one might show it better.

Basically just took a IWB holster and flipped the belt clips onto the inside to make it an OWB setup, then drilled different holes for the belt clips to attach through the holster, to help level it out (relatively speaking) and sit at the right depth on the seat.

The holster came with simple bent friction belt clips and I just found a spot free of physical obstructions and shoved the belt clips on and down behind the front seat cover.

No real complaints, just think there’s potentially a better solution. Could probably draw a little more fluid from a different spot, be less in sight when vehicle is parked (even though it’s empty) and such. Left leg gets in the way of the spare mag a bit.

11D2BD8B-333E-4CC9-AF1D-58A3D0B359AC.jpeg
6D47107F-1E67-4E00-92E2-E9ECF4B43293.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom