Techstream cable and software (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone shoot over where to buy the cable that works, and the most current software? Been researching and have stumbled upon alot of fake news. Also, has anyone ran the software on a Mac?

Thanks guys

What he said ^
:rimshot:

I purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB714M/ works great, there is a link in the "questions & answers" to download the Techstream software if you can't use the included CD. Also I think it's worth getting an old laptop (w 32 Bit Windows) to get this to work, I use an old Acer Netbook with Windows XP and I can keep it stored in the vehicle.

Here's an example of a laptop that would work well with the computer/software: Acer Aspire One Netbook - Windows XP Installed+Charger | eBay

When I was looking for 200-related info about Techstream, I had only come across all of the old / defunct links in the 100-series techstream thread posted above. I figured it would help someone down the road if I post what worked for my 2018 this week.

I purchased the VXDIAG VCX Nano with Techstream V15.00.026 for $70. It works great. I had a spare copy & license of Windows 7 laying around that I wasn't using, so I installed it on a virtual machine (using Virtual Box). It all worked without a hiccup. Going through screens in Techstream is pretty quick, too, especially compared to what people describe in all the other threads that use the older non-Nano cables.

After I got it all set up, I noticed that VXDIAG also offers a VMWare Player image, but I haven't tried it out.

Here are some applicable links from their website that were helpful, but weren't obvious at first:

VMWare Player image, and
VX Manager download (the driver that allows the USB device to be identified and work):

Installation instructions:

The USB-only version (this is what I got):

They also have a WIFI version, but that seems like security problem in my opinion, making my laptop connect to the device WIFI. You can find it on their webiste if you're interested in it.

The VXDIAG VCX Nano is the one you want and the only clone that writes TPMS data. I tried all the clear plastic clones and they didnt do what I needed. VCX Nano is a lot faster and actually writes data properly to the TPMS.

Thanks @FerrisBueller and @ArnieC. I've been looking around for good info and have good advice from other members. The link above is just what I needed. (Except for a PC laptop running Windows......I've been all Mac for decades.)

Anyone else getting the "Toyota Launcher" flagged by virus protection?

Open TechstreamPatch folder, copy and paste Toyota Launcher to C://Program Files/Toyota Diagnostics/Techstream/bin folder
Go to C://Program Files/Toyota Diagnostics/Techstream/bin, open Toyota Launcher

Windows says it has this virus: Win32/Ymacco.AA5C

VCX nano USB version, purchased from recommendation above. I can run Techstream, but it prompts for a key. If I try to use the patch launcher it quarantines it so it can't run.

1600187039621.png

Last edited:
Whenever you employ software that is "less than legitimate" you run the risk of Windows flagging it. I suspect that is the case here.

There are ways to move past this if you choose. Google is your friend...

I didn't realize that it is less than legitimate. Since I paid for the dongle, I assumed the use of the software was part of the purchase price. I guess not.

When I was looking for 200-related info about Techstream, I had only come across all of the old / defunct links in the 100-series techstream thread posted above. I figured it would help someone down the road if I post what worked for my 2018 this week.

I purchased the VXDIAG VCX Nano with Techstream V15.00.026 for $70. It works great. I had a spare copy & license of Windows 7 laying around that I wasn't using, so I installed it on a virtual machine (using Virtual Box). It all worked without a hiccup. Going through screens in Techstream is pretty quick, too, especially compared to what people describe in all the other threads that use the older non-Nano cables.

After I got it all set up, I noticed that VXDIAG also offers a VMWare Player image, but I haven't tried it out.

Here are some applicable links from their website that were helpful, but weren't obvious at first:

VMWare Player image, and
VX Manager download (the driver that allows the USB device to be identified and work):

Installation instructions:

The USB-only version (this is what I got):

They also have a WIFI version, but that seems like security problem in my opinion, making my laptop connect to the device WIFI. You can find it on their webiste if you're interested in it.
THANK YOU

I didn't realize that it is less than legitimate. Since I paid for the dongle, I assumed the use of the software was part of the purchase price. I guess not.
The version I got required a code as well to activate the trial. I had to reach out to who I purchased from with certain info and boom I had a code in 24hrs to use techstream.. I got mine of good ole Amazon

After 30 uses, I have to reset the counter to keep using.

Anyone else getting the "Toyota Launcher" flagged by virus protection?

Open TechstreamPatch folder, copy and paste Toyota Launcher to C://Program Files/Toyota Diagnostics/Techstream/bin folder
Go to C://Program Files/Toyota Diagnostics/Techstream/bin, open Toyota Launcher

Windows says it has this virus: Win32/Ymacco.AA5C

VCX nano USB version, purchased from recommendation above. I can run Techstream, but it prompts for a key. If I try to use the patch launcher it quarantines it so it can't run.

View attachment 2436482
For win10 computer, turn off Windows security protection and delete antivirus.

Are you guys with the VXdiag dongle able to use it on pre-200 vehicles? Says on the purchase page it only supports 2000 and up. I need it for a '98. Currently using the cheap cable dongle with v7 Techstream but it's incredibly slow

I don't think it works for anything prior to 2000 model

I used it on my 2015 Toyota 4Runner and 2020 LC200 and both work fine

Note: VXDiag Techstream v17 finally supports 2018+ models

My LX is an 06. I just wanted to make sure it was backwards compatible. And I’m shopping around for an LX570 for my wife, so I wanna kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Does anyone have a new version of the TechStream software? I have a patch from vxdiagshop and my computer is not liking it at all, it's saying without a doubt, the software has a virus/trojan.

Does anyone have a new version of the TechStream software? I have a patch from vxdiagshop and my computer is not liking it at all, it's saying without a doubt, the software has a virus/trojan.
It Trojans into the Techstream software. To be safe you could have a limited boot partition of windows that only has techstream on it. I have used it for 4 years on my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom