Techie ideas for FJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

for those that camp - how about being able to turn the lights off? I think I read a thread about turning the key 4 times this way, once that way, holding the odo reset while dividing whole numbers by their cube root (or something like that...) to bypass the circuit. And I don't want to pull fuses either. Maybe there could be a switch that is tied to the A-TRAK or the locker that senses dirt trails and relatively fresh air and would then allow the lights to be doused.

VoodooBlue said:
for those that camp - how about being able to turn the lights off? I think I read a thread about turning the key 4 times this way, once that way, holding the odo reset while dividing whole numbers by their cube root (or something like that...) to bypass the circuit. And I don't want to pull fuses either. Maybe there could be a switch that is tied to the A-TRAK or the locker that senses dirt trails and relatively fresh air and would then allow the lights to be doused.

if you pull your parking break 1 click and turn on the car your DRLs would be disabled, you have to pull it before you turn on the engine.

Another Idead I thought about was to modify the exaust pipe so when you ride with the rear latch open exaust gases don't get in the cabin and sofocate you :). Also a rear latch that'd roll down like in the Tundra/4runner and every other Toyota SUV would be great.

I think a door handle on the inside of the rear door would be handy. Also, a little more room next to the clutch pedal (dead pedal area) would be nice. The armrest on the door could be a little higher, and padded.:D Also, the rear door could have pockets moulded into the plastic. And lastly...the rear seats should fold flat. All the way...even with the cargo area...flat...as in level...I hope you understand.;)

:idea: Hi from Puerto Rico I am a new member so I want to kow from de FJ how is.:)

a small light, mounted under the instrament panel would be nice. Cant see anything on the console at night.
also..i second the idea to have the rear windows vent, like the old 40's.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I missed this earlier in this thread, but during the day, and wearing polarized shades, it is a bear to see the radio, clock and thermometer displays. The radio is probably the worst of these. Never had this problem on the 4Runner.

After a number of trail runs, two more nice to haves:

A smaller horn button - sometimes over obstacles I have foreamed the horn accidentally, but yesterday I took my dog out, and everytime I got out and left her in the truck, she hopped in the front seat, bumped and honked the horn.

Also, a smaller volume button or one that was not also the power button on the radio/cd. Road or trail, I keep accidentally turning it off (I suppose I could use the steering wheel controls, but...)

I also keep accidentally turning the power off when trying to adjust the volume. Not a biggie, I plan to replace it eventually, anyways.
Can't remember if this has been mentioned, but I really don't like the idea of a plastic gas tank with a plastic skid plate. Seems silly with all the sharp rocks it will see.

Not really a techie thing, but I would like more aggressive tires (BFG AT - the damn models get them, why can't the real ones?!)

Other techie kind of things are map lights, a way to change the light color on the stereo and have scrolling text on MP3 titles. I would also like more power outlets up front.

One of my friends suggested a .50caliber machine gun turret on top. As cool as that would be, probably a bit impractical (and illegal)

SATXChelus said:
Not really a techie thing, but I would like more aggressive tires (BFG AT - the damn models get them, why can't the real ones?!)

Other techie kind of things are map lights, a way to change the light color on the stereo and have scrolling text on MP3 titles. I would also like more power outlets up front.

One of my friends suggested a .50caliber machine gun turret on top. As cool as that would be, probably a bit impractical (and illegal)

You can change colors on the stereo display - turn off, push text and some other stuff in the owners manual...

Corey said:

There also is plenty of room on the headliner up front to have some sort of a mount to attach a CB radio to.
Maybe even have it plumbed for 12v.

I was seriously thinking of paying Cartoys to mount my huge CB up there, but opted for the glovebox instead like I did on the 4Runner.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/fj/cb/DSC00023.JPG

But there is plenty of room on top of the headliner, even for a huge Cobra 29.

I'd go one better and ask for a factory Toyota CB in the dash. They had one for the FJ40...:cool: :cool:

SATXChelus said:

BFG A/T ko tyres are a factory option. Just check the right box on your order form.

SATXChelus said:

They're not illegal everywhere.

100_1.jpeg

Maybe you'd like more than one?

cruisers.jpeg

-B-

Tires weren't an option when I got mine. Good thing, though, because the BFG AT's arent' all that great anyway.

Tires aren't an option without buying new rims as well. In ADDITION to the stock wheels and tires. So you are buying 10 wheels and 10 tires and only get 5. Either you check that box and bend right over, don't check it and get all the wheels and tires for less, or Toyota stops ripping us off and let's us choose one option or the other. Talk about f..ked up.

I think a standard cab, open bed configuration would be slick. Just have the front two doors with some wrap around corner windows behind them. Continue the lower body lines from front to back, but essentially the rear section of roof would be absent. This would be a very useful configuration to offer in addition to the existing body configuration IMO.

fullnelson said:
I think a standard cab, open bed configuration would be slick. Just have the front two doors with some wrap around corner windows behind them. Continue the lower body lines from front to back, but essentially the rear section of roof would be absent. This would be a very useful configuration to offer in addition to the existing body configuration IMO.

That's an interesting idea. Perhaps even a removable roof section that would leave that configuration after removal.

fullnelson said:

FJC 45?

Yeah Blues Dawg, that's what I had in mind. FJ45 pickups had removable top and fixed top options. For years Toyota had a few options in the Land Cruiser line. It's nice to see them offering shorter wheel base and wagons side by side again. (Please let's not start the "is the FJC a Land Cruiser" argumant again!) Since we're dreaming here, that's my dream...FJC45 short bed.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom