TC Rebuild Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm about to purchase a transfer case rebuild kit for my '89 62 and I noticed significant price fluctuations between vendors and I was curious if anyone knew the difference in kits that would justify the variances?:confused:

JT Outfitters for $250
Man-A-Fre for $405
Spectre Off Road for $415
Cruiser Outfitters for $225

I would buy the kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. That's where I got mine. It has had everything I needed to replace all bearings, seals, gaskets, thrust plates, idler shaft, etc. He has been awesome to work with. Georg with Valley Hybrids is another great Mud vendor. Picked up some parts from him and he has been outstanding to work with. Check with him as well.

Enjoy rebuilding your case. I was about 60% through my reassembly until I buggered one of the idler shaft o-rings. :mad:

Just noticed you are pretty close to me. I'll send you a PM. Glad to help if'n you want on the t-case. Pretty simple job though.

I need to do a rebuild too, in the near future. But is it really that simple? What about the special pullers I see a lot of people using? Or is it just a simple job for specialized car mechanics? :)

BG - you tackling this one? I've never opened a tcase up, but could probably come up one weekend and help some. I have a trip up your way coming soon anyway.

i ordered from cruiseroutfitters.com and the kit had everything i needed.

tcase rebuild is not that hard, you just need a press and a few big sockets, and a feeler gauge is good to have.

Cruiser Outfitters it is...

BG - you tackling this one? I've never opened a tcase up, but could probably come up one weekend and help some. I have a trip up your way coming soon anyway.

This will be my first complete TC rebuild, we tore it open when the extreme a440f was installed but did not perform a full rebuild. The old drive gear was never replaced and the seal on the output shaft has since started leaking so when I install my McNamara gear and new seal I want to rebuild the entire case.

Thanks for the offer to assist (yeti and bridges), I've contacted Randy (RT Customs) awhile back regarding the rebuild and he is willing to let me assist with the rebuild in his shop so I can learn while having someone with experience perform the rebuild.

Cruiser Outfitters it is...

This will be my first complete TC rebuild, we tore it open when the extreme a440f was installed but did not perform a full rebuild. The old drive gear was never replaced and the seal on the output shaft has since started leaking so when I install my McNamara gear and new seal I want to rebuild the entire case.

Thanks for the offer to assist (yeti and bridges), I've contacted Randy (RT Customs) awhile back regarding the rebuild and he is willing to let me assist with the rebuild in his shop so I can learn while having someone with experience perform the rebuild.

No problem at all. Would like to meet you and see your rig sometime. I'm new to cruisers and hope to get involved with other local owners. Saw a nice beige on yesterday on forest part in fort worth. Cannot wait for mine to be on the road.

Hope the rebuild goes well.

That is weird. the 8/80- 4/85 kit is only about $225 but the 5/86 - 1990 kit is over 400. The kit would be identical; except for the larger (38mm) idler shaft and the needle bearing for the output gears. Doesn't seem like a $160 difference to me.

Dynosoar:zilla:

That is weird. the 8/80- 4/85 kit is only about $225 but the 5/86 - 1990 kit is over 400. The kit would be identical; except for the larger (38mm) idler shaft and the needle bearing for the output gears. Doesn't seem like a $160 difference to me.

Dynosoar:zilla:

I was looking at the exact same thing...

Also had no idea SOR and MAF got upwards of $400 for their kits... that seems pretty dang high.

Kurt's (cruiseroutfitters) kit has Koyo bearings, so I have no idea what the premium price is for at the other two places.

kurt @ cruiser outfitters, myself ( valley hybrids ), marlin crawler and many other vendors sell the same kits and we get them from the same vendor for the same price. these kits include all oem koyo bearings and oem nok seals as well as all the small parts, gaskets, a new idler shaft and a few odds and ends required to rebuild one of these cases. if the kits from maf and sor include the captured high and low output gear bearings then that's why they cost so much more.
fwiw, i have the 34 and 38 mm kits on hand and ready to ship. they do not include the captured bearings which usually do not need to be replaced. let me know if you need any other parts for the t-case, i have lots of stock on hand.
these cases are not difficult to rebuild and only require a few not so common tools but noghint too specialized either. if you can take it apart, you can rebuild it. if somebody who's rebuilt them before ( like randy ) is able to guide you thru it then it should'nt be a big deal at all.
hth
georg @ valley hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom