Taurus Fan with a 2F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I couldn't find any info of people running electric fans on their 2F, only on v-8 conversions. Well is anyone running this setup on a 2F???

thanks

Ryan

Won't fit, I tried it and have a thread with it... Just wasn't enough room to fit it in there without moving the rad...

Same here, I hadn't noticed that all taurus tech threads centered on the v8 swaps. So now I have an extra one sitting in the shop. IIRC it was too thick by only around a half inch.

Better question. What is wrong with your motor that you want a Taurus fan?

Gumby has it, plus it would give me alittle extra power that is getting robbed by the stock fan. My dad has an after market fan hanging on the wall, but I think it is going back in the power wagon real soon.

thanks
Ryan

for fording put a couple of metal rings on the radiator itself. The plastic fan will nto be able to hurt the radiator then.

As for power robbing.. You would be better to find an electric water pump.. The fan is not that big of a drain.

I have not seen any electric water pumps meant for long duration use. Just stuff for drag racing.

A fan DOES take a lot of power. But a clutch fan doesn't

Operating temp is moderated and controled by the thermostat. It is constant regardless of type of fan. If not, then youhave other problems.

You can usually shift the radiator forward a little (more in a '79 or later '40 than in the earlier ones). Often this will be enough to make a fan fit where it wouldn't otherwise.

Mark...

Mark W said:
I have not seen any electric water pumps meant for long duration use. Just stuff for drag racing.

A fan DOES take a lot of power. But a clutch fan doesn't

Operating temp is moderated and controled by the thermostat. It is constant regardless of type of fan. If not, then youhave other problems.

You can usually shift the radiator forward a little (more in a '79 or later '40 than in the earlier ones). Often this will be enough to make a fan fit where it wouldn't otherwise.

Mark...

As Mark mentioned, you can pull the radiator forward which, in my case, I managed to push it up by about 1 inch (needed the clearance as well even though I use a chevy powerplant).

For water crossings I'd agree having an electric to turn off would be nice but outside of that issue I'd stick to a mechanical fan with a thermal clutch (not a mechanical clutch).

Electric water pump? Very bad idea.

As for power robbing.. You would be better to find an electric water pump.. The fan is not that big of a drain.

Gained 20% on the gas for every one I've done it on plus a noticed power difference. I run the electric here on my SBC cause it stays 20 degrees cooler on a 115 degree day... I love e. fans but I know many aren't a fan of them..

the electric water pump was not really a practical suggestion, more an example of things that rob more power than the mechanical fan.

So you are saying that if you are getting 10mpg and replace the mechanical fan with a electric fan you will get 12 mpg instantly???
So if I get up to 16 mpg (through tuning and tweaking) I can expect to get 19.2 mpg with an electric fan?

Damn, that Mace can really cipher them there numbers.

I are edumacated..

:flipoff2:

what?

u got one them there papers sayin " i r smart! " ???

-----thread-------

mount the fan and tell us all how wonderful or s***ty it is.

:beer:

So you are saying that if you are getting 10mpg and replace the mechanical fan with a electric fan you will get 12 mpg instantly???
So if I get up to 16 mpg (through tuning and tweaking) I can expect to get 19.2 mpg with an electric fan?

You're ability to understand numbers is amazing to me!! :)

What I'm saying is that if you have a 1975 Chevy Caprice and you do this you will gain 20%, I will also say that if you have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe and you do it you will gain 20% but I can't say that if you have any car and do this you will gain 20% as the fan size, clutch and so on could be 100% different...

sonoranfun said:
You're ability to understand numbers is amazing to me!! :)

What I'm saying is that if you have a 1975 Chevy Caprice and you do this you will gain 20%, I will also say that if you have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe and you do it you will gain 20% but I can't say that if you have any car and do this you will gain 20% as the fan size, clutch and so on could be 100% different...

so you are saying your experiences have no practical bearing on what morse_FJ40 is trying to do...

;)

There is a guy here in Vegas (vegasmike on the board) that did the tarus conversion on a 82 2f FJ40. he had to move the radiator about an inch forward, it did not help much on the cooling issues (I figure that he has other problems with cooling) And his hood now rides against the radiator. Am issue waiting to spring itself to life ;)

And yes, I do have one of dem silly little sheets that says I are smart

:flipoff2:

I looked on Manafre today, and was wondering about the Black magic fan they sell for $280... I hope it installs itself, or they really like it!! I just thought about this since all I have left on the cruiser right now is the cowl on the frame I have plenty of room to work.

later
Ryan

If you were to use a non-clutch-fan water pump, would you be able to make the Taurus fan fit without moving the radiator? Could you cut down the shaft that the fan sat on to make it even shorter?

My non-clutch fan kinda sucks at -60*. After 40 minutes of running, the gauge moves up to 'cold'. I'd rather go electric than clutch fan if possible.

If you were to use a non-clutch-fan water pump, would you be able to make the Taurus fan fit without moving the radiator? Could you cut down the shaft that the fan sat on to make it even shorter?

The belt has to ride somewhere... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom