Talk me out of this FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats, a solid truck !
If you are comfortable sharing, were you able to get them down at all on the price?

I offered 18500 and he said they'd be willing to go to 19500 OTD (1200 or so was FL taxes). We left and were going to look at a stock 2012 FJ with a 88k miles for $23k, but my wife was hooked. I ended up going back and saying if they could work 5 new tires into the deal I'd do it. They agreed to throw in 5 Falken Wildpeak 285/75's

Those 315's are just too much for me (although they look awesome and were awesome on the trails) but they just don't make sense for us. Plus they are pretty wore out. My wife loves the huge tires and is afraid it will look dinky with 285s but we'll see i guess .

Dealer said he had 17,700 in it (like you can trust a car dealer) Either way everything I saw looked like the PO did stuff the right way. It looks like he did the BMC to fit the 315s and actually welded the area that was trimmed so it looks almost stock. Only thing I need to do is clean all the winch connectors as they are really rusty. I also want to mount the control box under the hood

I forgot the specs of the original listing. Are the diffs regeared?

I don't think so, at least if they were the dealer didn't know. The acceleration seems pretty good to me, and the speedo is only off like 4 mph (my 100 with 33s is off 5mph with stock gearing) so maybe it is?

With 315s and 4.56 gears mine is off by 6-7% (depending on specific tire).
I ran 285s with stock gears briefly and it wasn't horrible, but acceleration suffered if you really wanted to hammer down.
And occasionally I ran 34x10.5 LTBs on the weekends, which was pretty awful on stock gears.

With 315s and 4.56 gears mine is off by 6-7% (depending on specific tire).
I ran 285s with stock gears briefly and it wasn't horrible, but acceleration suffered if you really wanted to hammer down.
And occasionally I ran 34x10.5 LTBs on the weekends, which was pretty awful on stock gears.

Dang, well maybe it is regeared because with these 315s the truck seems to accelerate pretty well to me. If I go to 33s is it going to make it worse? I have no experience running with different gearing for tire size

My offhand calculations say you will experience a zippier ride with 285s, but overdrive will suffer. But you can play with the numbers on this site to get actual calculations.

Plug in stock numbers on the left side and new tire numbers on the right.
is there a way to check the gearing? Will running 285s be more stressful on components if the FJ is regeared than if I just left 35s?

Stock gears on left, 4.56 gears on the right. Tire size the same for both 315/75r16
1592487379653.png

Last edited:
Those dont look bad at all.

Its because you have stock fender flares. If it would have had the Bushwhackers some people opt to put on, they would then look a bit silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom