Talk me out of buying a GX 470... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just chiming in on my 30k off road teardrop - took it out for the first time this weekend and it was worth every penny when the winds picked up and it started to rain. My 30k got me a fully built metal trailer, dometic fridge, dometic stove, hot water heater for shower and sink, lighting everywhere, 1750W inverter, 270 awning, and much more but those were the main components (offgridtrailers.com) I prefer to have a trailer in lieu of building out an overland rig. Expensive - yes, but the setup as a whole is really good with the GX and off road capable trailer.

I do follow your logic and I like the idea of being able to drop the trailer and go exploring. I just can't rationalize $30k for something I would use occasionally, has limited resale and can't even be driven around for errands.

Interesting how PHX seems to be where all the action is for off-road trailers, Turtleback, Offgrid, etc... I'd definitely rent one to see how the whole experience "feels" but I'm almost afraid of what I might find out :D

It's been said, but take a close look at the interior space. These are remarkably small vehicles!

I do follow your logic and I like the idea of being able to drop the trailer and go exploring. I just can't rationalize $30k for something I would use occasionally, has limited resale and can't even be driven around for errands.

Interesting how PHX seems to be where all the action is for off-road trailers, Turtleback, Offgrid, etc... I'd definitely rent one to see how the whole experience "feels" but I'm almost afraid of what I might find out :D
I agree if you don't plan on using it often it is probably money wasted. I'll be using it for mountain biking trips to the ski resorts in the summer. Hotel's run about 150 a night on average - I'll break even after 199 nights. I'm also a forest service volunteer, the group I'm associated with is adopting a few system trails in the Tonto National Forest. It is going to be really nice to have the shower available to rinse off after swinging a shovel all day. I'll be using the trailer quite often.

1613578412161.jpeg

My brother's logic was that both the LX470/100 series and the GX share the same 4.7 engine, but the GX is 500# lighter in weight (not sure if he's right on this) and LCs command a big price premium. He and I both drove 80 series LCs and now both have '06 GXs. I never found 100 series to be all that exciting to me.

Mine is a 'wife mobile' and she likes the easy-opening rear door (as do I), the heated seats, and backup camera (and V8 power). I like the rear air suspension that isn't nearly as punishing as the ride of my 3rd gen 4Runner or her former '01 Pathfinder. I like the sound insulation in the doors - when you slam them, they don't sound like an econobox. I own a '78 FJ40 and an '89 FJ62, so I'm hardly a luxury snob, but it's nice to own one vehicle that is quiet, powerful, competent, etc.

Sorry if someone already said it but get the non nav if you can. There seem to be more people converting the nav to non nav with more info on how to do so. But is an expensive mod 1-2k depending how you go about it.

good luck with the search!

Drove both an LX 470 and GX 470 yesterday and wasn't too keen on either. Poor fuel economy, probably less capable off-road than my Tacoma and just more "stuff" to deal with. Trailer is looking more attractive - for reference, this was my adventure wagon until last week but it just couldn't get me far enough away from civilization:
Sunset.jpg

Drove both an LX 470 and GX 470 yesterday and wasn't too keen on either. Poor fuel economy, probably less capable off-road than my Tacoma and just more "stuff" to deal with. Trailer is looking more attractive - for reference, this was my adventure wagon until last week but it just couldn't get me far enough away from civilization:
A small lift and good tires do wonders for the GX. I was able to make it through the most technical trail I have experienced with only a few scrapes on my sliders and a small dent in my stock bumper. The spot of interest that you can find on youtube is Three Feathers in Tucson, AZ. Lockers are recommended and I don't have them. GX didn't skip a beat and I was surprised how confidence inspiring the vehicle is. I have a 2 inch lift and 285/70/17 BFG KO2's and fully skidded. You can also see some of the extreme videos from Australia and SE Asia - those guys go HAM with their 120's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom